• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

CW Ventress - proposition for standards

Guest Anonymous

Just as a side note are you planning on constructing your own sabres?

If not I believe Hasbro is making one of their Signature Series ones of hers, that matches the 3D animation style. If it is anything like the Dooku one it will be very thick in circumference. I know one of the main things we focused on when making LadyB's was to be sure it fit nicely in her hands, so the Hasbro one might be a bit large, we'll have to see.

I ramble, so to the point it is available if you had not already seen it:

AsajjHasbro.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Hey! What you people think about those boots? In the movie/cartoon/comic she doesn´t wear any. Only in that statue. Those "ninja slipper" are bit inpractical to use in outdoor use:

*The costumer may have (fe. in outdoor use)(or should this be "only for outdoor use"?)

Boots

-The boots should be black or dark gray, and should have low heels.

-The boots can be plain, or they may have a row of buckles up the sides.*

83573597.th.jpg

And here is the picture of those pvc hilts. Those have already dropped several times to the floor :cry:

img0190vx.th.jpg

Guest Anonymous

This costume isn't too difficult. It's just the wraps that have me confused.

I'm thinking they could be made of of bandages, unevenly dyed in lylac.

Or you could cut up tights and use those.

Or hand paint material to look like wraps.

Those are just a couple of methods just from the top of my head.

Guest Anonymous
Or hand paint material to look like wraps.

From the first page of this topic, what The Emperor stated:

"The only point of critique I have to offer would be the treatment of the wrapped sections of the costume; waist, arms and legs. The paint applied works very well, but I would see it applied to a physical 3-D set of wraps, as in the CGI render;"

One way of doing them would be to apply stretchy wraps to a thin leggings (in the case of the legs) then sew them to those leggings so theyre permanently attached.

wraps could be made from stretchy bandage which can be dyed no problem...or unfrayable matt lycra or jersey.

Guest Anonymous

If this does become an approvable costume it would be great to wear in the summer. Although the Asajj costumes we have now aren't too bad. At least compared to the armoured characters.

Guest Anonymous

Okay I have decided to go with medical bandages hand dyed grey.

I've never worn wraps, will they stay in place or do they slip around?

Are we able to have the costume without the skirt and belts?

And here is the picture of those pvc hilts. Those have already dropped several times to the floor :cry:

img0190vx.th.jpg

Looks good from what I can see, can the sabers be joined as she often does?

Guest Anonymous

How's this?

P1000598.jpg

P1000596.jpg

I bought about seven metres of medical bandages.

Then I dyed them in a dark grey, when you wash it out and heat press it the colour becomes alot lighter.

I put hair pins at the top to stop them slipping down.

I don't know if it's possible to sew them so I can just slip it on. It's very delicate material.

I'm thinking about getting some more bandages and leaving them white as Asajj seems to have varying shades in there.

Guest Anonymous
Looks good from what I can see, can the sabers be joined as she often does?

No, those are only to be hang in belt.

Parts? Curved electrical tube, pieces of straight electrical tube, pieces of sewer pipe, few pieces from old toys, black duct tape, piano wire, and parts from old theatrical lighting equipments :lol:

Are we able to have the costume without the skirt and belts?

That's a good question.

Personally, I would say that the shirt and belts are needed. While she does take them off for fighting or stealthy moments, the skirt and belts are a part of her "everyday" wardrobe and should be part of a completed costume. They are an important part of her unique look, and without them the costume would seem unfinished. Plus, can't you just imagine the questions that the costumer would overhear? "Daddy, why is there a mummy standing with the Star Wars people?" :-D

A costumer could always take the skirt and belts off during a skit or photo-op for the full in-character effect... but I think for costume approval, they should be included.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I do not know what the official word would be.

Pam :-)

I'm thinking about getting some more bandages and leaving them white as Asajj seems to have varying shades in there.

I love the full-body image. It's such a delicate pose!

I would suggest using a light gray and darker gray combination, rather than gray and white. There doesn't appear to be a true white present in the reference images... it appears to be light gray to me. I think white areas would be too stark and out of place against the gray.

You're making good progress on this; I love to see experiments develop.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you. And I'll keep playing around with different shades of grey.

Hmm, re-reading through the original post about standards here's a few things I noticed.

-"Purple tattoos" It's more of a lavender or blue. I would suggest using eye shadow or just lightly using a make-up pencil because they're very subtle.

-Lipstick is a matte mulberry

-Does the skirt open at the front? There aren't any pictures of it doing so.

-I think skirt could be optional. Yeah, I want to wear shorts! It get's hot here in Australia.

-Are we including that Sideshow Collectibles statue? Because it's almost an entirely different costume again.

And some things for practicality, a little different from the real costume:

-Maybe make the arm wraps go all the way up to the sleeve of the shirt so that white make won't rub off onto it.

The blue part of the shirt, you can't leave the hexagon open at the bottom. It's just not physically possible. Also it's going to have to be a smaller hexagon.

Guest Anonymous
Thank you. And I'll keep playing around with different shades of grey.

Hmm, re-reading through the original post about standards here's a few things I noticed.

-"Purple tattoos" It's more of a lavender or blue. I would suggest using eye shadow or just lightly using a make-up pencil because they're very subtle.

Yep. Maybe purple is wrong word to describe that. This is more like my translation error.

-Lipstick is a matte mulberry

My dictionary says: mulberry = (colour) a dark purple colour tinted with red. Right? Also it depends what scene/picture you look. The colur varies a lot.

-Does the skirt open at the front? There aren't any pictures of it doing so.

Yes it does. Look at the scene where she starts to fight with Obi-Wan. She graps the belt buckle and skirt opens with it.

-I think skirt could be optional. Yeah, I want to wear shorts! It get's hot here in Australia.

I think Pam answered that...

-Are we including that Sideshow Collectibles statue? Because it's almost an entirely different costume again.

I agree that it´s totally different costume. That part is only for boots. We noticed, that using those ninja slippers in outdoor use is bit uncomfortable. Especially in wet conditions or gravel.

-And some things for practicality, a little different from the real costume:

-Maybe make the arm wraps go all the way up to the sleeve of the shirt so that white make won't rub off onto it.

The blue part of the shirt, you can't leave the hexagon open at the bottom. It's just not physically possible. Also it's going to have to be a smaller hexagon.

These two I don´t clearly get :? Maybe it´s just my english :lol:

Do you mean, that wraps will fall down to your palm? (or something like that)

And do you mean, that shirt ends abowe the wraps? Sorry, I don´t understand what you mean :?

Guest Anonymous

See how there's a gap between wraps and sleeve where we see her arms?

That might prove difficult as putting white make up on such a high friction area will get messy.

Basically the shirt will get white make-up on it should the barrier spray wear off.

And the hexagon thing, yeah that was hard to explain. If the bandages on the waist are seperate and need to be tuck under the shirt to keep it in place you are going to need a hem at the back of the shirt.

But.... we're the 501st! It's like an unwritten law: we are not allowed to make any costumes that are cheap, easy, comfortable, pain free, cool, easy to move in, or that allow us to actually see where we're going! Darth Vader doesn't take off his cloak when he's hot, and Darth Maul accepts that the body paint will be rubbing off where it touches the neckline of his tunic... it's just something that we deal with!

All costume designs are to be based on the references as best we can make them. We don't make changes for convenience. The only exception to this tends to be shortening floor length or dragging skirts to a length that is slightly off the ground so that they won't become a safety hazard when walking.

Guest Anonymous
See how there's a gap between wraps and sleeve where we see her arms?

That might prove difficult as putting white make up on such a high friction area will get messy.

Basically the shirt will get white make-up on it should the barrier spray wear off.

That haven´t been problem. It depends what makeup you use.

And the hexagon thing, yeah that was hard to explain. If the bandages on the waist are seperate and need to be tuck under the shirt to keep it in place you are going to need a hem at the back of the shirt.

Guess how hard that is to us to explane. We have to translate that from finish to english Yeux09.gif

If you look this picture:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/536/dscf5888.jpg

You see the waist part is attached to the shirt. We tested yesterday to cover that part with wrappings and it worked. Same to the arm wraps.

Pam, can´t agree you more. Basically the "problem" is, that SW or any other movie costumes are not designed to wear eight hours/day. Ten minutes shooting, "CUT!", something off from the costume, 45 minutes resting, "buckets on", ten minutes shooting..... something like that.

I was always wondering why the heck stormtroopers are whining. Until I made my CW Obi-Wan... My sympaties to stormys MDR100.gif

And still. Everybody have seen in ANH how Luke and Han are wearing stormtrooper armor without helmet, but those characters are not allowed in RL.

Also everybody have seen how clones takes off their buckets in CW cartoon, but still it´s not allowed to troop without bucket in 501st.

Those are the rules and we have to deal with those.

Question:

So, how about the boots? Shall we leave those off?

I agree. if a character's costume has a component to it, then you must have that component for the clearance.

(exceptions seem to be contact lenses and lightsabers..but i wont go into that one :lol::lol: )

One of these days they might make a cool female SW character that DOESNT need body makeup and prosthetics (one can hope!)

With Asajj, you already have the joy of baldcaps (or head shaving) bodypaint, intricate facial tattoo makeup i can understand why youd want to skim certain areas, but thats part of her characters and she needs them all.

if you feel the makeup might rub off in certain areas, then invest in airbrush inks that dont rub off :D they cost more,but your blessed with makeup that stays put till you want it gone.

Guest Anonymous

I guess I could put a bit of white stocking on that area of my arm.

The boots are going to be neccessary because troops involve alot of walking around outside. Imagine if it's raining or you are walking down a gravel road. Those bandages aren't going to make it.

She often wears boots, so it doesn't look out of place.

345-1015B09-GREY-H.jpg

TOMS Vegan Ash Wrap Boot

If these came in Men's sizes I'd have a pair already.

TI-9827, I am very interested to see your friend's Asajj with the upgraded wrappings. I think her costume will soon become the benchmark for TCW Asajj.

dscf5888.jpg

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous
345-1015B09-GREY-H.jpg

TOMS Vegan Ash Wrap Boot

If these came in Men's sizes I'd have a pair already.

Those are AMAZING and absolutely perfect for Ventress.

I noticed that most sizes are out of stock on that website so here are a few others places that have them:

http://www.80spurple.com/shop/product/8 ... -boot-grey

http://www.planetshoes.com/itemmatrix.a ... pcode=3416

Here I confess to grabbing a size 9 on the first link I put up just because they were that awesome. Even if I don't plan on making a Ventress costume. :P

A trick commonly used by the spandex superhero costumers is to glue a sole to the bottom of their fabric boots so they can walk comfortably outdoors. Some options I've seen them use include black foam or rubber insoles, the soles from dismantled sandals or shoes, and even soles that were cut from a thin black yoga mat.