• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

CW Ventress - proposition for standards

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Those are brilliant. Wonder if they will match the colour of my wraps?

On the computer it looks pretty close.

Won't buy them yet though, getting a bit ahead of myself. Best to wait until this is actually an approvable costume.

How long do you suppose that will take?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are waiting for a character to be approved for 501st membership before committing to making said costume, then I recommend you NOT take on that costume.

There is no speculative costuming in the 501st. A new character, such as Azlyn Rae, or a new costume for an existing approved character, such as this week's version of agent Starkiller, only becomes approved in the Legion once there is an example already made to represent it.

Being the first does not equal approval. Approval is based on a great costume that precisely matches the selected reference.

As you read these boards you will read one piece of advise over and over again;

Costume for yourself first.

All other side effects, like membership to some club, recognition, being invited to costume events etc. may or may not follow. Your costume is for you.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous
If you are waiting for a character to be approved for 501st membership before committing to making said costume, then I recommend you NOT take on that costume.

There is no speculative costuming in the 501st. A new character, such as Azlyn Rae, or a new costume for an existing approved character, such as this week's version of agent Starkiller, only becomes approved in the Legion once there is an example already made to represent it.

Being the first does not equal approval. Approval is based on a great costume that precisely matches the selected reference.

As you read these boards you will read one piece of advise over and over again;

Costume for yourself first.

All other side effects, like membership to some club, recognition, being invited to costume events etc. may or may not follow. Your costume is for you.

Be well,

Thomas

Thanks for the clear-up. I just wanted to make sure whether the was a process of "pseudo-approval clearance" ---> make-up ---> approval or not. Guess not. :oops:

Either way, it's still something I'm working on. I wouldn't sacrifice my dining room table if I didn't have fun doing so.

Guest Daritha

Better sacrifice your table than cute little sheeps in devotion to the Costume Goddess. ^^

The ... "wrap boots" are looking really good. Nice discovery.

Guest Anonymous

How do the tusken raiders and Starkillers make their wraps?

Oh and I only asked how long approval takes because kids have been asking me why I don't look like the Asajj Ventress they know.

Guest Anonymous
Here is how she looked like:

dscf5888.th.jpg

WOooW!! :shock::shock:

What a shame that I haven't seen this topic earlier! :oops:

The costume looks fantastic! Keep up the good work! :D:D

Greets,

~Elyon

Madelon

This is the next set of standards that I would like to see finalized. Does anyone have any more suggestions for the proposed standards? I'll wait a few days for responses, and then I'll get them formatted for the approval process!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

And our new version of wraps is almost finished. Only one slipper left :oops: Next have to take good pictures. We´ve been bit busy to help others with their costumes. Two done, five more to go... + a photostand.

Here's what we've got so far for the Clone Wars Ventress standards. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this project... I've read and re-read your posts over and over again. I've been working on this quite a bit during the past two days, but I've also been stoned on cough medicine, so hopefully it makes sense!

This is the first time that I've really spent hours studying this version of her costume in depth, and it amazed me to realize just how many details they've put in there! My favorite is the belt buckle. Since she attaches her sabers to the front of the buckle, you can clearly see the wear marks from the sabers scuffing up the raised edges of the buckle, and the center area is scuffed from her fingernails hitting it when she grabs the sabers. Nice details that you never notice when she's moving across the tv screen!

Anyway, if you see anything that needs work still, or disagree with anything, please let me know. (I have a nasty cold and I would love to share it with anyone who gives me a hard time! :twisted: ) Honestly, though, I would like to see these standards finished up, so let's figure out the last details!

Please note: The Clone Wars cartoons make heavy use of "atmoshperic lighting" to set the tone and location of each episode. These colors are often reflected on the characters, causing their clothing and makeup to appear in different shades depending on the setting. To counter this, the standards will be based on the "publicity shots" of Asajj Ventress that were created with a neutral white background.

Costume Standards for the Clone Wars version of Asajj Ventress

ventresscardboardcutout.jpg

An Asajj Ventress (Clone Wars Version) Costume Must Have:

(These costume elements are required.)

Bald Head:

* The costumer's hair must be shaved or covered with a tight-fitting bald cap.

Makeup:

* All exposed skin must be very pale, with a light gray skin tone.

* The eyes should have heavy black eye liner and mascara.

* Dark mulberry lipstick is worn with a roughly edged darker lining.

* Blush is not worn. (What appears to be blush in some images is the glow reflecting from her lightsabiers.)

* The nail polish is dark lavender or grey.

* Tattoos cover the head in a color that is similar to the midnight blue of the shirt and skirt. The tattoos should have softened edges, and should vary in darkness as seen in the references.

* Tattoo patterns underline each eye, with two downward points at the outer edges. The lines extend from the inner corner of each eye and onto the sides of the nose, as well as extending from the outer corner of each eye toward the ear. A thinner tattoo line traces each upper eye lid.

* A pair of curved triangles are tattooed on the forehead. These triangles are lighter than the other tattoos, and point downwards.

* A tattoo line runs from each corner of the mouth down to the chin. These lines are then connected under the chin, creating a "U" shape that ends at each corner of the mouth.

* A line consisting of straight segments and curves runs along each side of the head. The lines begin with a small hook above each temple, pass just above the ear, and then curve into a larger hook at the back of the head. Two small triangles and a diamond pattern are located near each line in the back.

* A vertical line with two diamond patterns is located at the back center of the head. This line begins at the top of the head, and ends just above the height of the ears.

CWVentressTattoos.jpg

Shirt:

* The form fitting shirt is made of a dark, midnight blue stretch fabric.

* The sleeves are short and tight-fitting, and the collar must be high and tight against the neck.

* The front opening is horizontally elliptic. The opening begins just under collarbones and is about as wide as costumer's chest.

* The back opening is hexagonal in shape. The opening begins at the base of the neck with a straight horizontal line approximately the same width as the neck. The opening then widens with a diagonal line that ends under each arm, and then narrows slightly again until it reaches mid-back. The bottom line of the hexagon will not be visible because of the wrappings that cover the lower torso.

* The lower half of shirt, beginning just under the chest, must be covered with light grey wraps with deep lilac shading. The edges of the wraps should be cleanly cut and must not be fraying. The wraps may be inconspicuously sewn to the shirt for ease of wear.

* True three-dimensional wraps are required, and painted lines will not be approved.

CWVentressShirt.jpg

Forearm Wraps:

* The forearm wraps extend from just above the elbows, down to the first knuckle of the thumbs. They partially cover the palm and back of the hands.

* The color and style of the forewarm wrapping must match the wraps that cover the lower half of the shirt.

CWVentressArmWraps.jpg

Leggings:

* The form-fitting leggings are made of the same color and material as upper half of the shirt.

* From mid-thigh to the feet, the leggings are covered with wraps in the same colour and style as the lower half of shirt. The wraps may be inconspicuously sewn to the leggings for ease of wear.

* For safety when attending events, shoes or boots tightly wrapped with the same material as the legging wraps may be worn, or soles may be attached to the bottom of the foot wrappings.

CWVentressNoSkirt.jpg

Skirt:

* The floor length skirt is made of a crushed velvet or chenille fabric in the same midnight blue color as the shirt.

* The skirt opens in the front, with the right side overlapping the left.

* The skirt should be full for ease of movement and to keep the front overlap from gaping open when the costumer moves.

normal_CWVentress.jpg

Belts:

* A pair of light gray belts are worn so that they cross in the front and back.

* The belts are shaped to follow the contours of the body, and should be form-fitting.

* Vertical lines divide the belts into rectangular sections. These lines may be created by etching them deeply into the leather, or raised sections may be created by gluing rectangular pieces onto a base belt.

Buckle:

* A large round buckle is located in the front.

* The buckle is painted a dark mulberry color, which is heavily weathered.

* The buckle has a raised, rounded edge.

* A rectangular groove cuts across the middle of the buckle, and a gold triangle in the center points toward the costumers right.

* The buckle appears to be a magnetic holder for Ventress' lightsabers, with the raised edges at the top and bottom where her sabers rest receiveing the most wear.

CWVentressBelt.jpg

Tabbard:

* The ankle length tabbard is made of a golden tan suede or heavy fabric.

* At the top, the tabbard is slightly wider than the belt buckle. It widens gradually down the length, but remains basically rectangular in shape.

* The tabbard may be attached to the right overlap of the skirt, or it may be attached to the back of the belt.

* Puzzle-like patterns are painted on the tabbard in a dark mulberry color.

* The side edges and bottom area of the tabbard are weathered, allowing the tan base color to show through the mulberry in some areas.

* The back side of the tabbard should be dark mulberry with weathered edges.

CWVentressTabbard.jpg

An Asajj Ventress (Sash Belt Version) Costume Should Have:

(These costume elements are highly recommended, but are not required.)

Lightsabers:

* The twin hilts should resemble the established curved design for Asajj Ventress. They may be attached together into a double saber design, or they may be worn and carried seperately.

* If the lightsabers have blades, the blades must be red in color.

* The lightsabers may be affixed to either the front or the back of the belt buckle. No hardware should be visible for attaching them.

CWVentressSaberHang.jpg

normal_CWVentressSabers.jpgnormal_CWVentressSabersBack.jpg

Contact Lenses:

* Pale blue or turqoise contacts may be worn to replicate the pale color of Ventress' eyes.

CWVentressFaceCloseup.jpg

Cloak:

* A hooded, sleeveles cloak may be worn.

* The cloak is made of a dark grey fabric with a lilac tint.

CWVentressCloak.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Thank you Pam! You have managed to describe some of the things much more clearly than us.

Please note: The Clone Wars cartoons make heavy use of "atmoshperic lighting" to set the tone and location of each episode.

That was exactly the thing wich caused the most of the headache.

* Dark mulberry lipstick is worn with a roughly edged darker lining.

hmm... Is the "mullberry" suitable to use as describe of the colour? Because these standards are read internationally and fe. in this part of the world we don´t have mullberry trees. So I googled "mullberry" and get even more confused. The colour range is from white via red to black :shock:

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/JPEG%2 ... erry.2.jpg

http://www.clintonnaturecenter.org/mulberry-050807.jpg

http://www.brew-dudes.com/wordpress/wp- ... y-tree.jpg

And all of those are called commonly as mullberry. It might be understood differentely in different part of the world. As said in here: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mulberry.html white one is well known in east, red one in US and black one in some parts of Europe.

And this leather colour chart from australian manufacturer didn´t help either :?http://www.algeos.com/html/products/magix.htm

Well everybody can see the colour from ref. pictures, but I think it´s better to try avoid unnecessary issues. That´s why we in original text tryed to use "basic" colour names.

* The nail polish is dark lavender...

This gives much more narrower colour range so I/we think this is ok.

* The buckle is painted a dark mulberry color...

Description of the colour again.

* The buckle appears to be a magnetic holder for Ventress' lightsabers, with the raised edges at the top and bottom where her sabers rest receiveing the most wear.

"Use the force!" 8) btw. In one episode of the tv series she carries hilts abowe her butt when she is not wearing belt and skirt :shock:

* The ankle length tabbard is made of a golden tan suede or heavy fabric.

* Puzzle-like patterns are painted on the tabbard in a dark mulberry color.

* The side edges and bottom area of the tabbard are weathered, allowing the tan base color to show through the mulberry in some areas.

* The back side of the tabbard should be dark mulberry with weathered edges.

As we see this the golden areas are the painted patterns and the base colour is the "mullberry" (the description of the colour again). The edges are worn like suede uses to wear and reflect in different lighting. Like in these pictures you posted.

CWVentressTabbard.jpg

An Asajj Ventress (Sash Belt Version) Costume Should Have:

Typo in here, not sash belt version :wink:

Hey Pam! Don´t loose your temper with us. We just try to make the text simple enough to us who are not native english speakers :oops:

Heh... I noticed the "sash belt" reference just as I was scrolling down to read your email. That's what I get for trying to save a bit of time with copy-paste. I didn't see that at all yesterday!

To me, mulberry is not a tree color. It's a paint and makeup color. We have mulberry trees in our yard, but they don't have berries so I don't associate them with red. They're green! I cringe for showing this... uh, woman... as an example, but it really shows that dark mulberry is a color that does match Ventress color choice:

http://www.thebeautyoflifeblog.com/2009 ... berry.html

I think, like you said, it might have to come down to looking at the picture and saying, "Match that color!" There's never going to be a perfect name to describe colors on an international basis. Even within a single country, different regions will have different names for colors. Some of us think of royal blue as purple-tinted blue.... while others see it as a lighter true blue.

For the tabbard, I've been working with painted suede for many years. I used to recondition old suede jackets and native style beaded pouches, which was tedious but fun... well, except for the ones that came from a house full of smokers. Those stunk! To me, the hint of golden tan at the egdes suggests that the red was painted over a tan color, and the red is wearing off to reveal the golden tan underneath. When painting suede, you will get better results by painting a dark color over a light color, instead of trying to paint a light color over a dark. It requilres less dye or paint, which means less buildup and less chance that it will stiffen or crack over time. Honestly, it doesn't matter which way it is painted when a tabbard is made. Nobody is going to be watching over your shoulder, and as long as you can replicate the look, it's all good.

Guest Anonymous
To me, mulberry is not a tree color. It's a paint and makeup color. We have mulberry trees in our yard, but they don't have berries so I don't associate them with red. They're green! I cringe for showing this... uh, woman... as an example, but it really shows that dark mulberry is a color that does match Ventress color choice:

I think, like you said, it might have to come down to looking at the picture and saying, "Match that color!" There's never going to be a perfect name to describe colors on an international basis. Even within a single country, different regions will have different names for colors. Some of us think of royal blue as purple-tinted blue.... while others see it as a lighter true blue.

Yep, colour in that picture is absolutely right. But as you said abowe how people perceive colour mullberry vary a lot. I had a hunch of mulberry colour and that was way more dark blue. And TR-9826 saw it more blue and grey than in that picture of Megan Fox. (We feel so blue Yeux01.gif) Maybe if there is line "Compare to reference picture" clears that thing? Well that should be obvious to everybody, but still.

Honestly, it doesn't matter which way it is painted when a tabbard is made. Nobody is going to be watching over your shoulder, and as long as you can replicate the look, it's all good.

That´s the point. Not to limit the working method. Only the outfit. I mean mostly for those who are not so experienced. For some costumers it can be easier to paint the golden part and to others the other way. And others might find more easily tan/golden base material than mullberry coloured. That´s why we suggested:

"-Ankle lenght dark purple suede/suedelike tabbard...

-Tabbard must have golden/bronze puzzle piece like pattern."

As we see this it lets the costumer to choose wich is the base colour.

In my work I have to quite often to teach students to how to make sets and props. Once they have read about some techic it is quite hard to make them understand that there might be many ways to do things and still get the same result. And sometimes they even have totally new or even their own technic wich does the making easier. Old dog can learn to sit twice :P

Yep, colour in that picture is absolutely right. But as you said abowe how people perceive colour mullberry vary a lot. I had a hunch of mulberry colour and that was way more dark blue. And TR-9826 saw it more blue and grey than in that picture of Megan Fox. (We feel so blue Yeux01.gif) Maybe if there is line "Compare to reference picture" clears that thing? Well that should be obvious to everybody, but still.

The only colour naming conventions that I can think of that *might* be internationally followed would be artist's paint colours, unless you refer to a Pantone number? Regional variations for names of colours is certainly tricky, so what about suggesting a few different names? Perhaps instead of "mulberry", using "burgundy, wine red or indian red" as the range?

Otherwise, very well done Pam :D

I support this build. I would like to the see the raw images, front and back--without photo enhancement, special effects, or background overlay.

I am very impressed with the work on this suit. To my eye, you'll be setting a fine standard right out of the gate.

If the costumer is going to Jedicon, Düsseldorf, I will personally deliver her a Flagship Eclipse patch for the achievement. (A $3.00 value! --Meant to symbolize brotherhood and respect.)

Well done!

Be well,

Thomas

Good evening everybody!

How´s this looking?

Ventress.jpg

That costume has come out really, really well. Those blue eyes are creepy! :-D

I'm very pleased with the details in your costume, it really looks like the references! Well done.

Perhaps instead of "mulberry", using "burgundy, wine red or indian red" as the range?

LOL! There's another regional color difference! To me, indian red is the earthy red-orange color of trees or chestnuts in the fall.

Burgundy or wine red could work well, though I think "Yo, it's that color over there!" would be the only truly accurate description. :-D

Does anyone have any more comments or suggestions for the standards? I'd like to get them cleaned up and presented again soon.

Guest Anonymous

A technical note on the whole "where exactly is the bottom hem of the hexagon" question:

A practical way to create the base outfit--the midnight blue part that makes up the top part of the top as well as the top part of the leggings--would be to adapt it from a body suit. The middle section would simply be covered by the wrappings. You'd just have to make sure that the black hem is low enough that is gets covered as well. I'd recommend permanently attaching the wrappings somehow to make sure they don't move around after a while.

~Liz

Guest Sakara

Perhaps with regards to colour....an cropped image of that colour could be played by the written standards for easy reference?

Also..this is a great computer programme

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Mult ... icker.html

It allows you to get the exact computer reference colour code for any colour you see on an image. Might be useful for determining exact colour from a picture.

Guest Anonymous
What are shades of fabric & such measured in? Is it Pantone scale or does basic RGB hex (like Photoshop & the program Sakara linked) work?

Literally whatever the heck the manufacturers want. Which gets even crazier when foreign translations are factored in. You'll end up finding some fun color descriptions.

I think something along the lines of "in a matching shade of deep red" would work better than specific names. If you want to get a little bit more specific, you could add whether it is a purple or orange toned red.

~Liz