Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TeaJay

KOTOR II - Nihilus Build and Game vs Current (09/2019) CRL Comparison

3 hours ago, Gomcse said:

This is an interesting costume to me because there aren't really perfect screen caps available and I think you have put together the best sources in this thread. The screen caps that exist show the low res that we have to work with, and reveal the inconsistencies the game designers programmed into the game. 

The Wicked Armor outfit is the best commercially available -- on ebay there are copycats who use the WA photos illegally -- and I believe the WA can and should be approved right out of the box if you have the proper gloves and boots. As an approved Vader, the thought of an approvable costume out of the box for under $500 is astounding. 

What you have created here, in my opinion, is what it will take to get to Level III approval.  You will have the most accurate interpretation of the KOTOR II in existence.

Local GML's can't approve the KOTOR II, and the CRL is still incomplete.  While I see where you are going with this, I hope the CRL doesn't force mods to the mask and pleats for basic approval.  Your mods and work on this is AMAZING, but doesn't it really create the standard for Level II and Level III? 

I've spoken to Rob and Melanie at WA and finally decided on COTF Darth Nihilus after they offered to make one (the web site shows them as sold out).  There are more approved COTF DN's out there, and they only require local GML approval because the CRL is defined. 

You are doing groundbreaking work with KOTOR II.  Keep it up! I'm following with extreme interest because my wife may end up with a KOTOR II from WA.

Thanks for doing the deep dive on this. Everyone is better off because of your efforts.

Dave

The COTF MWA isn't approvable out of the box (unless they've updated recently) just an fyi! Their top tunic part only has one layer when it calls for two (even if a superficial and a false layer just at the crossover).

• Like 1

The COTF MWA isn't approvable out of the box (unless they've updated recently) just an fyi! Their top tunic part only has one layer when it calls for two (even if a superficial and a false layer just at the crossover).
Thank you..I have asked for the second layer after your comment. I appreciate the correction and the help!

Dave

On 2/27/2020 at 8:05 PM, DarthValkyria said:

Almost ready to post updates!

Exciting! I can't wait! :)

16 hours ago, Gomcse said:

This is an interesting costume to me because there aren't really perfect screen caps available and I think you have put together the best sources in this thread. The screen caps that exist show the low res that we have to work with, and reveal the inconsistencies the game designers programmed into the game. 

The Wicked Armor outfit is the best commercially available -- on ebay there are copycats who use the WA photos illegally -- and I believe the WA can and should be approved right out of the box if you have the proper gloves and boots. As an approved Vader, the thought of an approvable costume out of the box for under $500 is astounding. 

What you have created here, in my opinion, is what it will take to get to Level III approval.  You will have the most accurate interpretation of the KOTOR II in existence.

Local GML's can't approve the KOTOR II, and the CRL is still incomplete.  While I see where you are going with this, I hope the CRL doesn't force mods to the mask and pleats for basic approval.  Your mods and work on this is AMAZING, but doesn't it really create the standard for Level II and Level III? 

I've spoken to Rob and Melanie at WA and finally decided on COTF Darth Nihilus after they offered to make one (the web site shows them as sold out).  There are more approved COTF DN's out there, and they only require local GML approval because the CRL is defined. 

You are doing groundbreaking work with KOTOR II.  Keep it up! I'm following with extreme interest because my wife may end up with a KOTOR II from WA.

Thanks for doing the deep dive on this. Everyone is better off because of your efforts.

Dave

Thank you for the compliments.

With regard to the in-game model of Nihilus, it definitely screams early 2000's era of cloth movement and texture modeling techniques where the entire 3D object model is "skinned" to a skeleton and animated frame by frame depending on what animation is being executed. As opposed to current games with defined objects on a model that can dynamically move based on the simulated physics determined by the objects characteristics (cloth, hair, chains, ropes, etc.). 

I could see where things like the way the cowl lays/droops below the neck being a higher tiered approval option, but I feel like the look of the mask and the crinkling of the shoulders of the cape should probably be standard in the upcoming CRL changes. That's all up to Nina and the Legion crew to decide, though.

Jt5lVYD.png

Just my personal opinion based on being able to find the consistent in-game source material, but the pleating on the skirt is also quite visible as well. But how far does one go with a video game character model from the early 2000's vs an on-screen, tangible costume such as a TK from ANH for a CRL, I get it. I definitely see both sides.

Honestly, the modifications to the WA KOTOR II mask was very straight forward. I used a dremel with a 1/8" cut diameter ball burr bit to take sections off and apoxie sculpt to build sections up, then just paint it. I'm confident that you could take on that challenge; especially with the experience of a ROTS Vader. 

Again, thank you for the kind words and if you have any questions about the way I made modifications to the WA KOTOR II Nihilus, feel free to message me or send me link to a build thread here, etc.

Edited by TeaJay
  • Like 1