• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Aspiring Sith Lord

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, so my costume finally is finished and I got some approval pics taken at the garrison annual meeting on Saturday. Before I submit the pictures to the Legion for costume approval, I would like some feedback on the costume as well as what angles of the costume should be sent in. Our new garrison membership liaison was unfamiliar with the Darth Nihilus costume, so he had pics taken of ALL the layers front, both sides and back :P Anyway, here are a few shots and again, lemme know what y'all think! :mrgreen:

So, apparently the board doesn't like my pics, so here is my photobucket site with the pics: http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/jedi_master_boy/Nihilus%20Costume/ Thanks for looking!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Michael for the welcome and the help with the pics :)

Scott, I am hoping to get your specific feedback on this costume since your's was used for the CRL entry and I used some of your suggestions from chucrew :mrgreen: Thanks!

Okee doke. At the good monitor, went through the pics, and now for the review. :-)

First the good:

Really close. A lot of what's in my "bad" are quick fixes and may just be artifacts of how the suit was sitting during that wearing.

Flow is looking great, you've got a nice voluminous look going.

I like the gloves

Saber looks terrific as well! :-D Does it have electronics in it? (not needed at all, I'm just curious)

And the things that I could see that aren't quite right or need a little something.

The hood and "horns" when viewed from the side are too far back. The horns should push forward far enough to bring the drape of the hood down so that it almost covers the entire face.

The black face casting could really use a coat of either matte black or some dulling spray to kill the shine on it. It looks plastic right now.

The neck area of your balaclava is hanging pretty loose. If the eye coverings are built into your mask you might consider changing over to a spandex hood like the underarmor heat gear hoods (gives a tight neck line, but leaves the face uncovered.)

The tunics look a bit too loose, which happens just from moving around, so it's just a matter of pulling them tighter again.

You'll need a new belt though. Nihilus' doesn't have any visible buckles at all. (if you're able to turn the small belt around on the existing belt so that the buckle is in the back, you'll probably be good to go with it.)

Can't see the second layer of skirt in there, but that's needed as well.

And last but not least. More tattering, both to the cape and the bottom edges of the tunics, and skirts.

Great review, Scott. It's always good to see another Nihilus. I agree that you may want a bit more weathering on the hems of your skirts and cloak. That cloak drapes wonderfully!

Your belt looks like a black prequel trilogy belt. I see a buckle and there shouldn't be one. That was the first thing I noticed.

And yes, the tunics are a bit loose but they're easy to pull in tighter.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post updated pictures as I have them.

Yes, the saber has a red LED and I plan to add a sound card and speaker later on.

The deal with the belt is that yes, it is a prequel trilogy version and actually belonged to my Jedi Knight costume. When I downloaded the requirements for Nihilus initially, there was no specification that the belt should not have a buckle so I just painted it and the rivets black; however I will get that fixed.

The inner skirt, and outer skirt/inner tunic combo are copied from the CRL so all the skirts are there, but I had the inner skirt positioned with the opening in the back, which will not happen again. The outer tunic I had tweaked to match the picture a bit more so rather than crossing over like the inner tunic does it meets at the obi. It also is bunched at the shoulders similar to the picture.

Thanks again and I'll get to work :twisted:

Fortunately, it looks pretty easy for you to tidy it up. I think Nihilus can get away with crossing the outer tunic a bit higher to get rid of that loose look. Or you pull the front bottom of the outer tunic down a bit more to pull it closer to your body. I do this with Jedi robes all the time. I agree that the tunic hem needs fraying too. It's so pristine. :)

You can make a new belt if you want to give it a go or you can purchase a Darth Nihilus belt if you're not feeling particularly crafty. I bought mine here... http://www.corellianimports.com/darth-nihilus-belt.html. I couldn't be stuffed making it myself.

The outer tunic I had tweaked to match the picture a bit more so rather than crossing over like the inner tunic does it meets at the obi.
I'm doing the same thing with mine. Thanks for letting me see how it looks on yours! One thing I thought about, though, was finding a way to button the obi to the outer tunic to keep both generally in place. It might also help with keeping them looking good, too. Not to mention, if it does start riding up a little, one pull will slip it back into place.

Guest Anonymous

Made modifications as suggested to the costume and submitted to 501st for approval Feb 12, 2012. Will post pictures when available. Thanks for the advise and support

Guest Anonymous

Feedback that was provided back in February pointed out the belt and 'cat ears' needed reworked and the robes and capes needed the lower edges trimmed and re-weathered. Here are some of the pictures sent in last night for membership re-application :twisted:

IMG_9457.jpg

IMG_9460.jpg

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9464.jpg

A quick observation, the cape should sit back off the shoulders. It almost sweeps back from the knot point, it doesn't hang over the shoulders in the front. Looking good so far!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the observation, Nef. It is truly much appreciated as it helped me realize what the picture doesn't show. :oops:

The image below (thanks to my awesome drawing skills :P ) shows the outlines of my two part cape and hood setup (which idea I got from Scott :D) The cape, outlined in blue, attaches to my vest/outer tunic with two snaps (the lower two in orange) and the hood (outlined in red) snaps to the cape (the upper two orange dots) and drapes down the back, covering the seam down the center of the cape. Having the pieces separate helps get that portion of the costume on a lot easier than to have both parts permanently attached to each other (not as much twisting of the hood drape and cape to undo). So the hood portion does sweep back from the knot, and the cape drapes a little over the shoulders, but falls back easily under movement.

NihilusCapeandHoodoutline.jpg

Guest Aysel

also keep in mind that the robes cross left over right

106_example.jpg

copy the way this one is worn and you'll be good

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

I hate writing in forums because I'm afraid of coming across argumentative when I don't intend to :oops: but I have read in several other Nihilus costume threads that the robes can cross right over left, as it is a spin off of the way kimonos are worn in Japan: left over right for living, right over left for dead. Since Nihilus is the anti-thesis to all things living, it makes sense for his robes to be worn right over left with the opposite being true for Jedi, since they represent all living things.

Again, I don't mean to come across as argumentative, I'm just pointing out what has been posted in this forum in the past. :mrgreen:

Guest Aysel

I don't want to derail this thread farther ^_^ So I'm going to move these posts to the thread you made about this ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

So I entered Nihilus into the CONduit 22 Masquerade. I won two awards at the Journeyman level :D I won 'People's Choice' for Best performance (this was based the crowd's overwhelmingly positive reaction to my costume when I got onstage) and I tied for Best in Class for Workmanship. Being my first convention and my first costume contest, I am really pleased. Thanks to all who have helped me get my costume to this point.

As far as submission goes, the pictures have been submitted, so we are waiting for the Legion's decision at this point. :mrgreen:

Guest Anonymous

APPROVED!!!

I am official!!! I am Darth Nihilus SL-9618

And just to show the work is never done, I need to drop the location of the knot to my sternum (per legion) and redo my black face mask so I don't have to color in paint chips with a Sharpee (personal preference)

Thanks to all who helped me with this and I look forward to continuing trooping with y'all

Dave