Jump to content
  • Announcement

    Welcome to the forums!

    If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

    If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

    -DV

TanRu's (formerly TeaJay's) KOTOR Nihilus


TanRu
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone - since I bought @TeaJay's KOTOR Nihilus I figured I'd introduce myself. I've been a member of the 501st Legion since 2016, and between the 501st and the RL I've got roughly 10 costumes. (Favorite to wear: TIE Pilot. Favorite for fan reactions: ESB Boba Fett.) As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been thinking about a Nihilus costume for a while, so I couldn't resist when this came up.

 

I'm hoping that with some minor alterations for height I will be able to get this costume approved. I do have some questions, since the CRL is in the "Requires Legion Approval" category. @DarthValkyria, if you'd prefer that I ask these questions in PM or other format, just let me know.

 

1) the CRL just says "plain black boots". The photo shows tall boots. Would shorter "Chelsea" type boots be ok, since all that should be showing is the toes? OK if they have those stretchy side panels so you can slide them on?

 

2) Obviously Nihilus needs a saber! "The hilt resembles one of the Knights of the Old Republic II single bladed lightsaber hilts." Any more detailed guidance on this? Resembles it in what way? 

 

3) Once I've got boots and alterations done, what's the approval process, how do I get it in front of the LMO? Do I submit to my GML, and he runs it up the chain, or something else?

 

Thanks very much. Looking forward to working with everyone to get this approved.

Edited by TanRu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest I rock a pair of black chelseas with my Nihilus, you really can't see them but for approval you may need some cheap cosplay boots (maybe from amazon or ebay). Just as a side note this isn't an approved costume, I coul make the needed changes to maker it approvable however I am only interested in having a KOTOR 2 version.

OXworks on facebook makes the saber hilt accurate to the game (I am not sure if they do installed tho)

And I am also interested in the 3rd question as my local garrison is not too fond of me and neither I am of them 

 

 

 295691191_1323671755107134_2146118933470557349_n.thumb.jpg.2c71fe9b3839890cf8fd81c0f4d09804.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Negotiatormustard said:

To be honest I rock a pair of black chelseas with my Nihilus, you really can't see them but for approval you may need some cheap cosplay boots (maybe from amazon or ebay). Just as a side note this isn't an approved costume, I coul make the needed changes to maker it approvable however I am only interested in having a KOTOR 2 version.

OXworks on facebook makes the saber hilt accurate to the game (I am not sure if they do installed tho)

And I am also interested in the 3rd question as my local garrison is not too fond of me and neither I am of them 

 

 

 295691191_1323671755107134_2146118933470557349_n.thumb.jpg.2c71fe9b3839890cf8fd81c0f4d09804.jpg

This is a very different style from the in-game KOTOR II model of Nihilus. You have multiple elements from the COTF version. Many significant changes are needed for this to be approvable as KOTOR II version. I'm guessing this is more for cosplay and not your planned KOTOR II version you're working on.

Edited by TeaJay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen pictures of the OxWorks hilt that's like a generic KOTOR one. Unfortunately they are taking "indefinite time off".

notWebP

Edited by TanRu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TanRu said:

Hi everyone - since I bought @TeaJay's KOTOR Nihilus I figured I'd introduce myself. I've been a member of the 501st Legion since 2016, and between the 501st and the RL I've got roughly 10 costumes. (Favorite to wear: TIE Pilot. Favorite for fan reactions: ESB Boba Fett.) As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been thinking about a Nihilus costume for a while, so I couldn't resist when this came up.

 

I'm hoping that with some minor alterations for height I will be able to get this costume approved. I do have some questions, since the CRL is in the "Requires Legion Approval" category. @DarthValkyria, if you'd prefer that I ask these questions in PM or other format, just let me know.

 

1) the CRL just says "plain black boots". The photo shows tall boots. Would shorter "Chelsea" type boots be ok, since all that should be showing is the toes? OK if they have those stretchy side panels so you can slide them on?

 

2) Obviously Nihilus needs a saber! "The hilt resembles one of the Knights of the Old Republic II single bladed lightsaber hilts." Any more detailed guidance on this? Resembles it in what way? 

 

3) Once I've got boots and alterations done, what's the approval process, how do I get it in front of the LMO? Do I submit to my GML, and he runs it up the chain, or something else?

 

Thanks very much. Looking forward to working with everyone to get this approved.

 

Nina will definitely be the one to make the call on many of your questions. In my personal opinion, I'd recommend something without the elastic stretch side panels commonly found on chelsea boots. When you take a longer stride walking, people will likely see more than just the toe of your boot. It is Nina and the LMO crew's final say, but I'd recommend a boot that has a smooth solid black appearance at least up to your ankle.

 

The recent saber photo that you posted looks even better than sources I've found in the past, bummer that they are on an unknown hiatus. 

 

When we originally submitted photos, I made sure Nina had access to photos, but I originally went through my GML who worked with NIna and the LMO staff for approvals.

Edited by TeaJay
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TanRu said:

Good point about walking around. I can wear my TIE pilot boots or buy a second pair.

Honestly the TIE boots would be enough to cover the long stride situation I mentioned. Nina's call though. You could also look into getting a cheap pair of black Funtasma boots after Halloween, lots of those brick and mortar Halloween shops will liquidate a lot of their shoe inventory after Oct 31st. 

 

Or maybe an online sale somewhere, here are the boots I'm referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Funtasma-Pleaser-Mens-Halloween-Captain/dp/B001AH60TC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, those look good as long as the zippers are OK. Are zippers OK? They are mentioned in the CotF CRL but not mentioned one way or the other for KOTOR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TeaJay said:

This is a very different style from the in-game KOTOR II model of Nihilus. You have multiple elements from the COTF version. Many significant changes are needed for this to be approvable as KOTOR II version. I'm guessing this is more for cosplay and not your planned KOTOR II version you're working on.

No, not at all, it's a cotf fun version, I have already ordered KOTOR cover mask from WA, my seamstress is making my costume based on the 501st requirements for KOTOR specifically. I am very fond of this costume as KOTOR 2 was my first star wars game and I loved every second of it so I really want to get every detail right this time around. My v1 KOTOR costume was decent enough but nowhere near accurate (too big cowl, too padded chest, missing skirt pleates). This time around I did a lot more digging, collecting reference pics both from the forums and through dms on facebook. My costume -mask should be done by november, and due to the current situation in Florida my mask will arrive late, hopefully I can finish this costume this year and maybe attempt some sort of an approval.  (Pic of my v1 Kotor)

received_1214090895745315.jpeg

Edited by Negotiatormustard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TanRu said:

Oh, those look good as long as the zippers are OK. Are zippers OK? They are mentioned in the CotF CRL but not mentioned one way or the other for KOTOR.

Excellent question about the zippers! That is where I think the text description of the KOTOR II Nihilus could be augmented. There are plenty of other costume CRLs that allow for zippers on boots as long as they are inconspicuous (at a level 1 tier approval). Inconspicuous usually meaning zippers match the color of boot and they are on the inner portion of the leg.  Which these funtasma boots meet... but final say would be with Nina and LMOs.

 

Since there are not multiple approval levels to Nihilus, Nina may have a strong opinion on boots. Depending on how smooth your TIE boots look texture wise, I could see her also being ok with those... but these funtasma boots should probably get her thumbs up.

 

Thoughts @DarthValkyria?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TanRu said:

@TeaJayarrived safely! Just grabbed it off the porch. I'm on my way out the door so I will inventory tomorrow or Sunday, but it sure looks securely packed! Thanks again.

Sound good. Yea, I made sure to thoroughly pack the mask in bubble wrap and the cover the fabric in plastic just in case USPS decided to drop the box into a puddle. All should be good. I threw in a garrison sticker and a couple cards as well. Enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why it didn't notify me for this specific thread, but since it is under the robes, I don't care what boots you use so long as no adornments are visible under said robes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having a hard time finding a saber hilt. Since the image file in the CRL is name Visas Saber, I started looking for Visas thread builds, and this one puts forward some KOTOR-looking options.

 

@DarthValkyria, would any of these options be approvable for KOTOR Nihilus?

 

Saberforge Adamant (if I painted / rub n buff / something to make the gold part silver)

 

Ultrasabers Arbiter

 

Ultrasabers Shock

 

Thanks for any guidance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I unpacked the costume yesterday and everything was present and accounted for. After a quick consultation with @TeaJay about how the cape and tunic sit, I think I have a grip on it. I still think I will be ready to go once I put in a few hours of measuring and hemming.

 

Side note, I PM-ed OxWorks about the "KTR" hilt pictured above. They didn't respond for a few days so I went ahead and ordered from Ultrasabers as discussed above. THEN OxWorks got back to me and said they are still making KTR hilts by request, $99 and $32 shipping to the US. This is an empty hilt with no electronics so I'm glad I ordered the Ultra anyhow, but this could be in my future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soon I hope, although my garrison is very busy at Halloween so I might not be able to get together with my usual "tailor" until after that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, next question is about the shirt.

 

CRL says "The shirt is made of opaque black fabric that is form-fitting and has long sleeves."

 

Form-fitting like stormtrooper undersuit (which I have), or form-fitting like "not poofy like a robe"?

 

TeaJay's shirt fits me fine, I just don't want to get rejected if the LMO reads "form-fitting" and thinks it's too loose. Any input appreciated as always @DarthValkyria!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, TanRu said:

OK, next question is about the shirt.

 

CRL says "The shirt is made of opaque black fabric that is form-fitting and has long sleeves."

 

Form-fitting like stormtrooper undersuit (which I have), or form-fitting like "not poofy like a robe"?

 

TeaJay's shirt fits me fine, I just don't want to get rejected if the LMO reads "form-fitting" and thinks it's too loose. Any input appreciated as always @DarthValkyria!

Still in Norway until Wednesday, so if it's delayed on responses, you know why.

 

Without seeing it directly I can't say if it's *too* loose, but some lose I am not worried about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...