• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

General's Build of the KOTOR Sith Trooper

Hello everyone.  This is going to be an exciting WIP build, that is for sure, as I tackle the Sith Trooper from Knights of the Old Republic, which is going to be a pretty big project.  Let's go through the breakdown.  

xnt90oB.jpg

The Sith Trooper screams KOTOR for anyone who has played the original game and there are as iconic in my book as the Imperial Stormtrooper.  I know there are a few different various, more so separated by paint color than actual armor struture so ideally, one could have multiple costumes to choose from, but my main focus is on the standard Sith Trooper, the "grunt" I guess you can say.  There are several things that makes this armor complex, number one is that its from a game that was released in 2003 and the rendering while good, it isn't high def. so it's hard to tell how the plates sometimes interact and layer with one another.  Number two is also how the armor is broken up into the different pieces.  Near as I can tell this is the setup....

OlKt84q.jpg

There are the easy parts right off the bat that can be separated, the forearms, hand plates, shoulder bells, and the shins with attached knees.  Next comes the mantel or chest with connected back plate.  I believe this is a separate piece from the abdominal section and kidney plate with are attached separately (ideally you could use velcro, magnets, snaps, whatever).  There is a separate hip plate that covers the thighs and goes under the ab and kidney plates and for movement purposes, the codpiece is it's own separete but still attached plate, via straps, Velcro, snaps, whatever.  The helmet I think is also 2 separate pieces at least, one part that covers the neck and top/back of the head and overlaps the neck hole of the mantel and then a separate faceplate.  Looking at the face plate further, it has a few intricate layers but what is most interesting is that unlike the undersuit, it looks like a metallic visor that covers the bottom half of the face as opposed to a piece of cloth; this is judged solely on the way the rendering is for this part in comparison to the undersuit elements which simulate cloth texture.  To that end, I think the top layers that go over the eyes can be made to go over the brows such that one can still see where one is going.  

I have already begun drawing out the different plates and I am admitting to using some artist renderings to use as a reference.  This is not a reference to substitute for the in-game look, but more to plot with pieces go where and how to best construct this.  

WO88jD8.jpgERI1cEo.jpg

And to that end I have already begun sketches of the armor and how best to build them to fit on a person.  

RuaeP8f.jpg

Of course, more research is going to be done which is why I am going to go back in to play through to where you can obtain the Sith Trooper armor to go down to the lower levels of Taris to get more screenshots.  The most difficult part about this build is that every armor piece is going to be scratch built so lots of patterning and fabrication is going to take place, but I am comfortable to say that the undersuit seems like it can be black thermals and nomex flight gloves.   I am excited to get started on this and I can't wait to get fabricating.  

Oh man... so I got finished doing my screenshots earlier, I forgot how date this game is and with only 3 resolution settings, I might have to play through bits of KOTOR II to see if that's any better =D (granted, this was taken on a phone, but there is some lighting and elements I can work with like paint color, etc.)

8NejxOQ.jpg

But the good news is I have started patterning, beginning with the shoulder bells and the handplates.  There is going to be a slightly higher level of detail than some of what was produced from the in game models but the overall spirit will still be there.  

Q6Ze7px.jpg3iunyNX.jpg

This is going to be an exciting process as I move onto other elements.  

This is just my luck as I am working on patterns for this build, I managed to find pep files of the Sith Trooper which is superb.  Now, what I am doing is I am actually using these files as a base to develop new ones.  This makes it such that I don't have to completely reinvent the wheel, I can just make a more detailed one.  It will be a matter of continuing to slice and check shapes, proportions etc. but the build itself just got easier at this point.  After the files are sliced, I'll print them out and then stitch them together to get the overall shape and then make new patterns from those shapes and proportions, adding details, groove lines, etc.  This seems the most sound way moving forward and It will be interesting to see how this pans out.  None the less, this just got a whole lot easier.  

nxGcOLR.png

Ok, here is some updates on this build and I wanted to get a gauge, especially from the command staff what you all think.  I managed to find an maker who makes the files for 3D printing capabilities.  Currently, they follow the looks of these 2 images I am presenting now.  Granted I have posted them before but I wanted to make sure we were on the same page.  

WO88jD8.jpgERI1cEo.jpg

These files I threw into a program called ArmorSmith which if you aren't familiar with it, it is a wonderful program.  You are able to create an avatar and then input your body measurements to get a rough look of your own body and them add 3D armor files ontop in various parts.  I want to stress though that it is not exact so what you are seeing will not be the 100% end result.  I did want to show off what I did have though and again specifically asking the command staff to chime in to see if these files would be OK with the CRL for this build or not.  Or if they are but need some bodywork/modifications.  Feel free to let me know =)   (*NOTE* I do *not* have every piece on here, just the right forearm and elbow plate, the torso armor, and shoulder armor)

Z1BbLmh.jpg

y2oVOZW.jpg

bgyQQCx.jpgwQeK1JZ.jpg

iFriBbH.jpg

wQvY7YL.jpg

Edited by GeneralSpeer
Additional Images

The first 2 file images seem to match the model pretty well from what I can tell without having a back image to go off of.
20200730_032359.thumb.jpg.aef54585152f44689e99de1c97458f6d.jpg
Indeed. And the photos are views of the 3D files essentially. They just have more/better detail which is why I wanted to bring the idea/method forward.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi I have been working on this costume also, not that I really wanted to post about it till I had fully almost completed the costume but here it is anyway. This costume has been years in the making as it has been a monumental task!

The files are old that you have found. I have the updated version from the original artist Paul Spooner that made this model and was paid for handsomely for his work and deserves the credit for his fabulous work.
I have worked with him to updated some mistakes on the 1st version of this model - the shoulders been fixed and also some details in the helmet, armor and neck that are also inaccurate that have been updated and fixed. To be closer to the game.

All details that are detailed on the models are taken from the games model textures and just enhancing the effects of those textures within the games armor to relay them on a better quality model.

7d15af6a78cc8a023ec9c5e9f278ae47.png
Example of some fixes:
bdc77452be4fecc5c769a89a9d8b3e1a.png

I also have made the blaster rifle and have it modeled.

If you would like these updates please let me know.
d2edc4f47008c0c1a6b9d616b92c9c7f.png

I will be PVC resin printing mine so no print lines or having to vacuum form it losing details, I am also planning to get it professionally chrome plated.

Colors of armor can be in a white, chrome or red.
Reference of all in game colors from KOTOR 1.
621422dd4e7ea28a43697e3ccedcd5a9.jpg

Ripped in game model for best references! link below:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/c4e264f13fbe5bad3f217b945a063dd2/sith-trooper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kookaburra said:

Hi I have been working on this costume also, not that I really wanted to post about it till I had fully almost completed the costume but here it is anyway. This costume has been years in the making as it has been a monumental task!

The files are old that you have found. I have the updated version from the original artist Paul Spooner that made this model and was paid for handsomely for his work and deserves the credit for his fabulous work.
I have worked with him to updated some mistakes on the 1st version of this model - the shoulders been fixed and also some details in the helmet, armor and neck that are also inaccurate that have been updated and fixed. To be closer to the game.

All details that are detailed on the models are taken from the games model textures and just enhancing the effects of those textures within the games armor to relay them on a better quality model.

7d15af6a78cc8a023ec9c5e9f278ae47.png
Example of some fixes:
bdc77452be4fecc5c769a89a9d8b3e1a.png

I also have made the blaster rifle and have it modeled.

If you would like these updates please let me know.
d2edc4f47008c0c1a6b9d616b92c9c7f.png

I will be PVC resin printing mine so no print lines or having to vacuum form it losing details, I am also planning to get it professionally chrome plated.

Colors of armor can be in a white, chrome or red.
Reference of all in game colors from KOTOR 1.
621422dd4e7ea28a43697e3ccedcd5a9.jpg

Ripped in game model for best references! link below:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/c4e264f13fbe5bad3f217b945a063dd2/sith-trooper

I saw your message!  I have not had the time to work on this for a while, but hopefully later in the fall is when I will pick it back up again!  Been in a KOTOR mood ever since the new game teaser release!  Looks really good!

4 hours ago, Kookaburra said:

It’s getting finished and chromed so lucky I won’t have to do any of that, just the strapping and working on how to wear the armor.

Yeah, after seeing one of my garrison mates attempt like 4 or 5 times to do chrome work for his Phasma, I may get it all prepped and then send it out to get chromed.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 9:51 PM, GeneralSpeer said:

Yeah, after seeing one of my garrison mates attempt like 4 or 5 times to do chrome work for his Phasma, I may get it all prepped and then send it out to get chromed.  

Yeah I experienced the same with my brother's Phasma armor.

The issue was that if not done perfectly, any details or grooves get lost to layers.