• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus Affair

Tags

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks very more like Scott´s hood now. Nice job.

Thanx, I just wish I could confirm if the hood is correct now before I go through the whole process again. However now we need to figure out the back, which seems to be causing an issue.

Ok, this is what I was told... "There should be a distinction between the neck and shoulder in this character" So the question is how to achieve this look with the two cape Champions of the Force Nihilius. We tried placing the cape/hood under the hood less cape, and that seems to provide some definition to the neck, however I'm not sure this is acceptable. If the hood less cape is gathered at the back of the neck is that going to acceptable to providing the distinction? The shoulders stand out well with the two capes, as long as the hood less cape is on the outside.

So any information on how to achieve this distinction is greatly appreciated. With any luck the changes to the hood, will be ok, and this will be the last obstacle. The COTF Nihilius figure shows some folds on the back of the neck and a very short cape, the figure may not be an acceptable ref but it does suggest a means of obtaining the distinction.

Here are a few ref pics, got a new camera so I got a close up shot of my Nihilius figure. As you can see the cape on the figure gathers in folds, which I am attempting to achieve with my cape.

DSCN0390.jpg

This is a pic with just the hood less cape, the folds seem to be there... Are they adequate however?

DSCN0389.jpg

This is a pic with both capes, it's not up to date per say... I will get some more pics tomorrow night after working on things.

DSCN0384.jpg

And last but not least and experiment pic, attempting to get some deep folds in the back, like on the figure.

DSCN0391.jpg

Thankyou

You might not wanna hear it, but you need to put on the whole costume, or at least the upper body parts to do the trials with the cape(s). That way you'll get the correct drape of the fabric against the fabric you'll be using. It'll slide and hang differently against different fabrics.

One thing to keep in mind, Nihilus doesn't wear his cape forward over his body. He wears it pushed back almost all the way over his shoulders. Play with it at that angle to work on your cloak drape.

(it took us a couple weeks of fiddling with the cape hang to get things to look right btw)

Tomorrow I can throw the tunics and see what happens... I try to keep the cape resting over the back of my shoulders, however one of the issues with my submission was to show more shoulder, so I took a page from yer book and I have two capes going. The hangs seems ok, however unless I keep the cape/hood under the hood less cape there is no distinction between the hood and cape, which I am now attempting to achieve. I am hoping that by emulating the folds on the COTF figure I was get the look I need. I think the hoodless cape is best for this.

This part is odd, so where does the cape rest, directly on the shoulders?

"The shoulders should not become lost under the hood, nor should they be exposed when the hood is thrown back."

So I would guess from that statement that the cape needs to rest on the shoulders and still cover them? At any rate my primary concern is "how" to show a distinction of the hood and cape. As I said I will get more pics with all the upper gear on and get some pics of the cape. Really though, how have other people achieved the distinction of the cape and hood?

Well no mention of the hang of the cape was mentioned, just a definite distinction between the hood and cape, so as far as I know the hang is ok. May as well address the issues that were raised and move on. Now that the hood has been drawn in and the Serpentor look is no more I will move onto the cape.

At any rate it looks like, assuming it counts, that Dragon con will be my first official troop. SCC is just going to be for fun.

Well I wouldn't go that far... Granted I want it to look good, other wise whats the point... But I also want it to be durable, and comfortable... So I am experimenting with something for the hood, using an old East German, YES! Back during the days of the Berlin wall, hat. Sounds odd but if it works... :wink:

I think the experiment worked, just need to finish a few stitches and everything should be set. Gong to re-do the outer cape as well, so it sits better.

Guest Daritha

Wah, I can see human flesh beneath the mask!

Looks good. I like the view of the mask and the horns of the cloak are looking ... uhm, "horny" enough. xD

Well looks like everything went through, just waiting on the app to clear and I will be completely official. ;> Thanx for all the help, everyone.

Now I need to get to the wife's Tusken. ;>

Thanx... went over well at the steel city con, even if no one really knew who I was. ;> Maybe getting a trading card will help. ;>

Guest Anonymous

Your Nihilus always looks wonderful!!!!!

but i'm a little tired to see darth nihilus with the same mask all the times :mrgreen:

btw hope to see you in the future with this costume...

maybe a Darth NIhilus convention will be very pretty!!! :mrgreen:

Thanx...

Well I had a new mask made, narrowed down by the cheeks. ;>

Hmm that would be fun a Nihilius reunion! ;>