• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas WIP (complete)

Guest Aysel

Guest Aysel

ah Photoshop, how I love thee, let me count the ways

uh hem anyway... :mrgreen:

I decided that I could do the gold pattern for the inner dress in Photoshop. I started by filling a selection with one of the preset patterns, ran a couple of filters on it to pixelate the heck out of it, then I used the transform tool to get it to be exactly 1.25 inches (which I have to agree with Pam is just about the right size). I also rendered the pic of Pam's veil pattern to black and white, since I have zero free hand drawing skill.

this is my photoshop pixellated fill selection thing in 2 different sizes

visaspattern.jpg

this is the black and white render of Pam's veil pattern

veilgold.jpg

and my gold paint came in so I can start in on this part soon mwahahahaha :mrgreen:8):lol:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aysel

I have a question about the gloves. Is it permissible for the gloves to be made from the same material as the over dress? I ask because I've run into a hitch with the gloves I ordered (the site has....shall was say, issues) and I was contemplating making my own.

Guest Aysel

ooo Yay! adventures in glove making. I haven't actually ever tried my hand at it but I've found what I think will be a great site to help me figure it out. As for the stitching, I'm fantabulous at hand stitching so that shouldn't be a problem.

115_04.jpg

The overdress is covered by a faint grey pinwheel pattern 4" to 5" (10.15 cm to 16.25 cm) in diameter. The pattern is embossed into the fabric. Alternatively this pattern may be painted onto the material with a grey acrylic or other suitable fabric paint.

Good evening,

Just a point about the Visas pattern dimensions; you'll want to size it to match reference;

Visas-Marr-22.jpg

In this clearest of all model renders, the pinwheel at the centre of the chest appears to suggest a pattern nearly as wide as Visas Marr's neck.

We have approved tighter patterns before, but the dimensions on the Legion CRL are given for the purpose reversing that trend.

Good progress all together.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Aysel

*sigh* that means I'm gonna have to re-cut that all out....and my thumb still hurts 2 days later :( makes me a sad panda. I had sized it to be as big as the palm of my hand, which is about the size of my chest center area. I can take a pic with me holding what I have up to my chest if you'd like to see it in proportion to me.

Guest Aysel

today I got the mock up of the outer dress done

SDC10967.jpg

SDC10970.jpg

it's out of duck cloth so it emulates the pleather rather well. there's a few things I have to do to the pattern to get it to the point I'll be happy with it. I am very happy with the fit in the bodice area of the dress, and I don't think I'll be changing that.

1. I need to take some of the fullness out of the skirt

2. Open the slit up more so it falls open when I stand straight

3. Fix the sleeve area so it's a cap sleeve and bring the arm pit area up a little farther

4. Finesse the collar a little

5. Add about 2 inches to the length (or there about)

If there's anything other than those things that anyone sees as an issue with the dress please let me know. Once I'm done with the modifications I'll take apart this dress and use it as my pattern for the final dress.

update/edit:

SDC10990.jpg

I've pinned the dress in along the seams where it seems to want to naturally fall. I've also pinned open the slit, it seems to be about the right width but I'd like some feedback before I mark it off and use it as the pattern for the pleather

Good evening,

Just a point about the Visas pattern dimensions; you'll want to size it to match reference;

Visas-Marr-22.jpg

In this clearest of all model renders, the pinwheel at the centre of the chest appears to suggest a pattern nearly as wide as Visas Marr's neck.

We have approved tighter patterns before, but the dimensions on the Legion CRL are given for the purpose reversing that trend.

Thomas, I'm glad you noticed that before she began painting. The pinwheels do look really small. I'm sorry I didn't notice sooner myself... too many things to pay attention to, and not enough attention to pay, I guess!

I wouldn't advise using the very center pinwheels as a guide, because those sections were the tragic victims of a rendering shortcut. The game turnarounds show that the left to right design is a mirror-image that isn't matched up very well in the center. The pinwheel circles down the front and back center are double-wide, as are some of the designs on the side view. When you look at the rest of the circles, in places that weren't distorted by the mirror image, you can see that the circles are only slightly larger than her hand with her fingers splayed out. I think the 4 to 5 inch range listed on the CRL is a very good estimate of that. (The circles on mine are just short of 4 3/4 inches, just a tiny bit smaller than a CD.)

You can see what I mean about the mirror image distortion in the full-sized reference:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/galle ... fullsize=1

Aysel, I'm truly enjoying your build thread. It brings back many memories, and reminds me of what it took to make this costume. And, I enjoy seeing someone being creative!

Pam :-)

Guest Aysel

thanks for the feed back. I waited to paint for just that reason. I'll do another stencil and I'll size it just a tad bigger, I don't want to go too big though cause I'm really small and if the scale isn't right it'll make the costume look off when I'm wearing it. I'm still working the mock up of the outer dress, I think I have the skirt done, now I need to get the sleeves to the right shape.

edit/update:

I've sized the pinwheels up, is this better? If it is, I'll go ahead and get it cut out. First pic is for size reference second pic is the straight up jpg

SDC11005.jpg

visas-pinwheel2.jpg

Guest Aysel

outer dress update :mrgreen: (and I got my husband to fix my dress form YAY) You'll notice the white around the slit, I topped stitched with white thread so I could see where the heck I put my seams.

SDC11010.jpg

SDC11008.jpg

I think I've got the sleeves correct, if it's close enough I'll go ahead and start cutting my pleather.

Next step is working out the belt.

Guest Aysel

I think I have the belt worked out. I'm installing an elastic belt in the belt for a better belt like quality. As you can see I've got the looping thing down. I had to add a bit of length to my fabric to get it around my waist twice but the seam is easily hidden in the belt crossing part. Now all that's left is to do it in the red fabric and install snaps where it absolutely needs to stay put.

SDC11011.jpg

belt-mock-up.jpg

SDC11014.jpg

SDC11015.jpg

See, I told you it's a great build thread! You're doing a good job of figuring out the details, and using tricks like different colored thread really makes a difference! (That trick is helping me use up the huge spool of icky orange thread that I had to buy to fix a one-inch tear on the seam of Scott's X-Wing pilot jumpsuit! :-D)

I would say that you need to scale up the circles just a little bit more. If you want to keep them on the smaller size, aim for a 4" diameter instead of making it closer to 5". That should be a nice balance.

Pam :-)

Guest Aysel
...(That trick is helping me use up the huge spool of icky orange thread that I had to buy to fix a one-inch tear on the seam of Scott's X-Wing pilot jumpsuit! :-D)...

>.< I modified an orange jumpsuit once and I've continually found orange threads at the oddest moments, it's an evil color.

I'll have to play with the sizing more. When I had it open in photoshop it told me that those were 4" but when I printed it out they're a little less than 4" meh

Things I have left to do:

cut out pleather

paint pleather

assemble outer dress

make veil

paint gold pattern on dress and veil

make final belt

Guest Anonymous

Ah... the belt. What a pain in the @$$ that was!!!! In the first version, I used weights in certain places so that it always hung the right way. In the final version (well, probably just the current version, LOL!), I used a thin weighted rope (didn't even know those existed...) inside the entire belt. It helped!!

This is all looking great - I echo Pam; it's bringing back all sorts of memories!

I said that she should use a magnet or two sewn into the belt. Then, when she wants a lightsaber to hang on her hip, she doesn't need a covertec clip to be showing, it would just stick onto the material and look like it is connected.

Guest Aysel
Actually, that was more of a "shut up and take the picture, husband, before I kill you."

Sincerely,

The Husband.

:D

^^this, love ya honey :mrgreen:

so...I've decided I'm a glutton for punishment. I've taken the 8x10 I cut out and have transferred it to some poster board and I'm now in the process of cutting it out

SDC11022.jpg

Guest Aysel

....and it's done....

my fingers really hurt now

SDC11023.jpg

now on to the next part (whichever turns out to be next)

Guest Aysel

and I've crossed probably one of the biggest hurdles of this build, the pinwheels on the outer dress

this is the progression of my outer dress

SDC11032.jpg

SDC11031.jpg

SDC11033.jpg

SDC11036.jpg

I still need to take the black paint and tone down the gray, it really looks a lot more mellow under normal lighting but the flash really picks it up so I'm going to fix that, I really like the differences in saturation over the whole of the pieces. Depending on temperatures tomorrow I may be able to get the paint done.

things left to do:

matting black paint

assemble outer dress

paint gold pattern on veil and inner dress

assemble belt