• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas WIP (complete)

Guest Aysel

Guest Aysel

thanks Pam! the boots are super comfy, I was on my feet all day Saturday in them and not one sore tutsi to be felt. the belt is an easy dye fix, I have a scrap of that red that I can find out how long to leave it in the dye bath. The gloves I plan to upgrade later as I haven't found a pair that fits really well yet; and I already have silver leather paint from another project (it's good to hold on to supplies) I'll try to see what I can do about the seams on the outer dress, I'll try the cool iron first and if that doesn't work out I'll top stitch it but I really want to try to avoid that. again thanks for the feedback!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sakara

ooh didnt see this thread till now. On my veil i used little weights to weigh down the headdress sides. the weights are the type used in curtain making for fine nets or voiles. i simply thread the weight line through the hem of the headdress. i used a memory wire on the veil front so it lies perfectly along the nose bridge.

Oh trick for ironing faux leather seams. use a nonsteam setting in as high as the fabric will take(test on some scrap first to find right temp), iron on reverse and use a sheet of non stick baking paper inbetween the iron and fabric..works a charm

Guest Aysel

I have key chain chain in the hem of my veil, weights it down perfectly and that's something I could try with the outer dress, I just don't have any baking paper at the moment...

Guest Aysel

ok, I work at a dry cleaner and I consulted the owner/seamstress today about how to flatten hems in pleather and she suggested gluing them down with fabric glue, because "it's how manufacturers flatten seams" so I"m going to try a low heat hot glue and fabric glue and see which works best. I'm hoping the hot glue works cause just a little work and it'll be done and I won't have to wait for the liquid stitch to dry, so glue!

Guest Aysel

as per Pam's suggestion and the fact that my belt is too bright I have 2 pics, first pic is my scrap in a 2.5 min dye and a 3 min dye, I personally like the 3 min dye better it matches the concept art when I hold it up to the moniter

SDC11248.jpg

SDC11251.jpg

the darker parts of the scrap are the wet parts, I dried it with a heat gun so I could see what it would look like then compared to my un-dyed belt

edit: 3 mins in the dye bath and I think I have it the more right color now, it's currently tumbling around in the drier, I think I got it somewhere between the shade of the concept art and the in game art, we'll see once it dries

Guest Aysel

SDC11252.jpg

my veil for contrast between that fabric and the newly dyed fabric of my belt, I think I got it perfect

Guest Aysel
Much better! (And a beautiful new color, too.)

Pam :-)

Thank you :D

now to flatten the seams in the outer dress, just waiting for my mom to send me her low heat glue gun and I'll be all set

edit: troop from today, a local UFO festival parade

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61548&g2_serialNumber=2

group pic of the ladies that were there (debut of the new belt)

PS don't worry the Slave Leia has a built in undergarment

Guest Anonymous

Fun! And the belt goes nicely with the other colors. It looks really good!

I was wondering, would you mind if I used your nice full-sheet image of the pinwheel pattern as a basis for my stencil? Although I may not reach that step for a while yet.

Guest Aysel

yes, that's why I posted it, just make sure it's sized correctly for the diameter of the pinwheels

Guest Aysel

no issues, glue works like a charm! I've just finished getting the seams flat and I'm so glad that I took the time to do it, the dress looks much better, I've got some close ups of the seams. and I'll have pics of me in the dress tomorrow (when it's light outside and I'm not up past my bedtime)

SDC11262.jpg

SDC11264.jpg

SDC11265.jpg

SDC11266.jpg

Guest Aysel

thank you! I'm sill in the "squeeeeeeee" moment, I'm really happy too cause we have a big night time parade in under 2 weeks :mrgreen:

Guest Aysel

yes it would be! :mrgreen: so much fun every year, but this time I get to be farther up in the pack :mrgreen: although I probably won't be able to see anything since it's pretty dark, but no bother :mrgreen: