• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

KOFTE Lana Beniko Build.

AphraCat

I actually started Lana before Aphra, but the hyperfixation got me good. Now that she's finished & approved, time to start this build thread. 

This is definitely a more difficult build therefore I'm taking my time for this one. 

Let's start with a breakdown of everything I will need and where we're at so far: 

Soft Parts are being made by Shayminion Cosplay & Moulded or Leather Pieces & Gauntlets to be made by CB Studios. 

Undershirt: Scuba Knit - to be made by Shayminion Cosplay.

Overshirt: Cotton Canvas - to be made by Shayminion Cosplay.
Tabards: Cotton Canvas - to be made by Shayminion Cosplay.
Shawl: Homespun Cotton - to be made by Shayminion Cosplay.
Glove One: Two Way Pleather Stretch - base to be made by Shayminion Cosplay.

Glove Two: Two Way Pleather Stretch - to be made by Shayminion Cosplay.

Pants: Scuba Knit - to be made by Shayminion Cosplay.

Boot Straps & Pouches x2: To be made by Shayminion Cosplay. 

Arm Bands x2: To be made by CB Studios.  

Gauntlet One: To be made by CB Studios. 

Gauntlet Two: To be made by CB Studios. 

Belt: - To be made by CB Studios. 

Wig: Will be an Arda Wig, will purchase from Lumin's Workshop to avoid shipping $$ hell.
Boots: Purchased, need to be heavily modded. 

Lightsaber: Already purchased.

Chestplate:
Shoulder Armor x2:
Knee Armor x2:
Shin Armor x2:

All armor will be 3D printed, but will be left until last as soft parts need to be completed first. 

Yay! I love seeing more people make a Lana Beniko costume! I love wearing mine, when it's fall/winter, not a summer proof costume haha
I made all my grey parts (Tunic, Tabards, Shawl) from cotton canvas as well, it has a great weight for this costume. I didn't make the undershirt, it was store bought I actually have two different thicknesses a thin rib knit top and a thicker knit sweater. The pants I made from a stretchy denim fabric.
Goodluck with the build, it's a tricky one to finish, but such an awesome character!

2 hours ago, Cookiedala said:

Yay! I love seeing more people make a Lana Beniko costume! I love wearing mine, when it's fall/winter, not a summer proof costume haha
I made all my grey parts (Tunic, Tabards, Shawl) from cotton canvas as well, it has a great weight for this costume. I didn't make the undershirt, it was store bought I actually have two different thicknesses a thin rib knit top and a thicker knit sweater. The pants I made from a stretchy denim fabric.
Goodluck with the build, it's a tricky one to finish, but such an awesome character!

It's definitely going to be my winter costume. I live in Australia, so I'd rather not give myself sunstroke. It'll be the costume that I take over with me to Melbourne where it's colder. 

If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them!  There's so few Lana costumers so I'll take anything I can get. 

The shins don't stay on for me unless I attach them with both straps and velcro on the boot base. I dyed the tips of my wig, but I bought a human hair wig for Lana, so I could use normal dye. I'd recommend trying to dye the tips with copic marker if you're going for that look.
I made all the armor parts from PVC, so nothing is 3d printed. I think the belt buckle is under a lot of stress so that might die eventually.

Just wanted to say that I'm still working on this, life just happened to get in the way of a lot of progress. I should be getting my soft parts in a few weeks max.

The plan is to have to ready for March for OzCC Perth which should hopefully be the first convention in my state for just under 3 years. (we haven't had a convention since October 2019)

So tl;dr it's still going, just very slowly because life. 

IN AMAZING NEWS, Bioware dropped this a few hours ago, which means we now have 360 degree views of Lana's costume as well as up close shots of her belt, armor and gauntlets. The only thing that seems to be incorrect in the CRL now is the fact that the left glove is not leather like we thought but actually a waffle weave. Thankfully I am not actually up to that part yet.

Otherwise I think I'm okay for every other bit and the person working on my belt and gauntlets has been given the references to work from. 

1793644388_SWTORCosplayKit-LanaBeniko.pdf

• Thanks 1

Just now, DarthValkyria said:

Going to try and add this to the gallery section if it will allow! Thank you!

No problems at all! I'm still thrilled that they're doing this. Hopefully we get some more characters soon before they drop the new expansion. 

Hoping to have some movement on this by the end of the month. I really want to hit my end of Feb/March target as if I work on this costume for more than a year I may scream. 

It's been a really rough year, but I am still really hopeful I'll get this done.

I've just been mainly waiting on my softs as I have gone from an Australian size 20 (US16) to a size 16 (US12) between March and now due to sheer work stress, so everything has to be taken in significantly. Softs have to be done before I even think about the armor. I'm hoping to commission one of my fellow garrison members for that as a lot of them have 3D printing experience. 

• Like 1

Okay, so I'm having my (hopefully) final fitting for my softs next week (please cross some fingers and toes for me that they fit and no more work needs to be done) and I have some movement on my leather pieces and gauntlets. (Leather pieces are nearly done, gauntlets have been demoulded and need to be trimmed next) 

I'm not going to hit end of feb/start of march timeline, but that's okay because the con has been probably moved (yet again, i haven't been to a con since october 2019) and it's still way too hot to even think about getting myself into all these layers. Hopefully I'll have some photos to share soon!

Reactivating this thread because I received this photo the other day and I for one am absolutely jazzed. It looks BEAUTIFUL.

Curt is an absolute master craftsman.

2db32553d376e5173fedd90f936776f8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Edited by cocktailcat
  • Like 1

I have photos!

My sewist is coming tomorrow to drop off my soft parts and I am so excited! Some of them definitely need a good steam (especially the shawl), but I'll post some photos of me in them tomorrow.

fcc3ac5c7315ee848cbae7668988d692.jpg

9c8f0e2d97b0dd9b24ab80f8bb9abded.jpg

Edited by cocktailcat
  • Like 2

This is not the best photo ever. Shawl is not quite rightly placed, neither is the tabards since I don't have the belt but otherwise I'm pretty chuffed! Now to work on everything else.

I also look exhausted, so please ignore my face. This hot weather is killing me.

a333f2d19f8a46fadeebf7737837de20.jpg

Edited by cocktailcat
  • Like 1

Okay so now that I have the pieces, time to make sure they're all up to scratch. Looking at photos a few things have to be fixed, so I'm going to send them back to my sewist in the next week or so (depending on if I can find replacement pants). 

• Sleeve seam placement on the tunic is odd because it wasn't fixed when I dropped 3 sizes. (Easy fix, thankfully)
  • Shawl is too small & maybe needs a different fabric so it sits nicer. Length at back needs to hit the small of my back and it doesn't. 
  • Pants fit weirdly as the detail is out of a non stretch fabric and it's on the largest part of my leg (my thigh) - going to get a premade pair of pants and have the detail put on so it's the same as the Cosplay Kit Bioware posted (pants had been completed before that came out) 
  • Like 1

More updates!

Curt has done some amazing work on my belt and bracer. (Follow him here for spooky goodness, you won't regret it) The other bracer is yet to be pulled, but that should be done in the next few days. Belt hasn't been sized yet and won't be until it's about to be sent off to me to make 100% certain that it'll fit me and not be too small or too large. Things are really starting to move which is super exciting. Hoping to hear word about my boots very soon as I ordered those at the start of the month. I'll be buying the replacement pants tomorrow if my local target has them in stock. 

6NBJ3vBK_o.jpg

w6MZaxMf_o.jpg

• Like 1

This is once again on hiatus. I'm going to shelve it and work on it when I really have the proper money and time to spend on it and have less issues with vendors.

I'll instead be working on Peli so I can join my local RL. I'll come back to this soon hopefully. 

I'm going to be reactivating this build so I can hopefully have it done for PAXAUS next year since y'know: it's a video game convention. Maybe even Celebration Japan if I end up wanting to go. Plus Melbourne is perfect weather for the 230948234 layers.

Got back in contact with the person making my belt & greaves and they're going to get back at it now it's a priority. I'll be working on this and my Grey Jacket Doctor Aphra hopefully.

I think the boots will just have to be thrown and get some Officer boots and just attach the leather and pocket myself because that leather was the incorrect colour, not to mention the fact that the join between the top of the foot and the ankle was made way too large so I just swim in it so when I walk it just slides right off! 0/10.

I'll have to start looking for someone to create and then print the files for Lana's armor. There's some out there but I don't know how accurate it is. I will be absolutely trying for 501st accuracy, but honestly I just want this build to be over since it's been plaguing me for 3 years. I don't think any more Lana's have been approved in the meantime.

Here's where we are at the moment from top of head to bottom of foot:

Wig: Arda Wig purchased from Lumin's Workshop.
Undershirt: Made by Shayminion Cosplay. May replace with a knit top to reduce bulk. Only arms & neck are visible.
Chestplate:
Overshirt: Made by Shayminion Cosplay.
Tabards: Made by Shayminion Cosplay.
Shawl: Made by Shayminion Cosplay. (may need to be remade)
Shoulder Armor x2:
Arm Bands x2: WIP by CB Studios.
Glove One: Made by Shayminion Cosplay.
Greave One: WIP by CB Studios.
Glove Two: Made by Shayminion Cosplay.
Pants: Made by Shayminion Cosplay.
Lightsaber: Already purchased.
Belt: WIP by CB Studios.
Knee Armor x2:
Shin Armor x2:
Boots:
Boot Straps & Pouches x2: