• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

I need some advice from the DN experts please

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone, I am looking to join the 501st Florida Garrison as Darth Nihilus and I found a local guy who can do an awesome Nihilus KOTOR version for me.

Who can I PM the pictures to so I can see if I can get this costume 501st approved? I am just about ready to buy it but figured I should check on here first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post your images here.

Darth Nihilus is not an easy costume. It is the one I defer for revision most often.

I am happy to announce however, we've just had two new Nihilus graduates last night. These along the other proud few who made it through the gauntlet may chime in with advise.

Do post here.

Guest Anonymous

He doesn't have many pics on his website so I asked him if he can provide more pics if possible. I didn't ask him if I can post these anywhere else which is why I wanted to PM them to someone so everybody please try not to hot link these images.

nih02.jpg

nih01.jpg

Features:

• Mask from strong impact resistant polyurethane plastic

• Mask thickness: 1/8" - 1/4"

• Approx. total weight of mask: Under 7oz.

• Hand painted acrylic and enamel

• Protective enamel coating

• Attached elastic straps (to hold mask to face)

• Detachable horns (one piece wired to mask)

• Black hood (attached to mask, removable)

• Black cape (hooks around back and under arms)

• Black veil (wraps face and hides features but easy to see through) or optional black undermask

• Black skirt (ties around waist)

Compared to this image below it looks almost perfect to me but what do you think?

NihilusFront.jpg

if you were to submit it as it is in those pictures I can tell you a few things right off the bat.

the gloves are too short. it looks like they only come up to his wrists where in the reference pic it's almost elbow length.

the skirt is too short. that may change when it's on you instead, but it's supposed to be draping far enough to touch the ground. in addition it doesn't seem to have enough bulk too it - in the reference there is what appears to be a TON of fabric hanging there. on the costume, not so much - just enough to cover it seems.

need a clear shot of how the cape attaches. right now his hood covers the anchoring point so I couldn't tell you if it's safe or not.

the hood doesn't have enough shape. it looks very thrown on in that photo and I know from experience the hood is a sticking point and admittedly makes the costume.

in his favor:

the mask looks excellent! right shape, right paint, and a very cool face layer.

if it were me I'd get his mask and make or commission my own costume, but in my opinion his costume could use a lot of work.

Guest Anonymous

Damn, really?

He doesn't provide the gloves so I can get correct ones. But, I really need to have it dragging at the bottom to get 501st approved? That's gonna be a pain when trooping and it's gonna get dirty all the time.

You basically want the skirt to be about 1 inch off the ground.

Depending on how the cape is attached, (can't see how it's attached at all in the pics) it does look like a decent starter point for a KOTOR Nihilus.

Make sure that:

the skirt is cut long enough to get down close to the ground, while you have boots on (cause even low heel boots change your height and how you stand when compared to tennis shoes)

The cape is attached via the two sewn points at the shoulders.

And recommendations.

I'd also probably ask about getting some extra fabric to put over the waist gather, it looks messy in the pic, a quick and eash fabric belt in the same rough size over it would greatly improve the look.

The hood. Is just totally the wrong shape. mask looks great, but the peaks at the sides are so weak as to be non-existant.

Get yourself some nice gauntlet style gloves with a minimal flare.

Guest Anonymous

Mine is a COTF Darth Nihilus but here are my leather gloves I wear. This would be more of what you'd want.

DarthNihilus054.jpg

DarthNihilus055.jpg

I'd know that mask anywhere. Rob does a fantastic job on both his Nihilus and Revan. I did have to do a lot of modifications to the hood in order for my Nihilus to get approved and of course the robes were a bear.

Before

DarthNihilus036.jpg

After

Headshot2.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys. I received my stuff in the mail this past week. But, I am missing a robe of some sort to cover my upper body still. I have the cape, hood, skirt, mask. I thought I was getting a robe that covers me from head to neck but all I got was a skirt. Does anybody have any idea what I can do for my upper body? I have to email the guy I bought it from and ask him what fabric he used.

Thanks for the advice guys. I received my stuff in the mail this past week. But, I am missing a robe of some sort to cover my upper body still. I have the cape, hood, skirt, mask. I thought I was getting a robe that covers me from head to neck but all I got was a skirt. Does anybody have any idea what I can do for my upper body? I have to email the guy I bought it from and ask him what fabric he used.

That's part of the reason why I don't buy costume pieces from other people- I don't like being at their mercy as far as what they do or do not send! (And also I'm a super-picky detail freak who thinks she has to make every little costume piece herself from scratch, but that's a whole different control issue! 8) )

I'd say that you need to start with contacting the seller and talk to him. Once that's done, you can figure out the next steps.

Pam

Guest Anonymous

Hello

the pics are not the ebay member who sold this kind of Darth Nihilus' costume ?

a lot of things to do after buy this costume to be approuved ! :shock:

we made my Darth Nihilus KOTOR 2 version and now again we ameliorate it to make it better and suitable for me ;)

BEA_0201.JPG

Guest Anonymous

That's part of the reason why I don't buy costume pieces from other people- I don't like being at their mercy as far as what they do or do not send! (And also I'm a super-picky detail freak who thinks she has to make every little costume piece herself from scratch, but that's a whole different control issue! 8) )

I'd say that you need to start with contacting the seller and talk to him. Once that's done, you can figure out the next steps.

Pam

Yea I am really not happy about this at all. Maybe I can pay him to make me something. I'll post again when I hear back from him.

Guest Anonymous

Did you get it from Rob?

You pretty much got what was listed under features if you did. The top is usally a black turtle neck. :D

• Black veil (wraps face and hides features but easy to see through) or optional black undermask

• Black skirt (ties around waist

I can't sew worth a hoot but I have a great seamstress I've known for years. She can see a picture and do it.

I can sculpt armor and masks like my Mandalorian stuff but if I see wonderful work others have done I usually will get it. Some people rely on it as their livelihood so I'm willing to spend a few bucks to help them out and get something nice in return.

Guest Anonymous

Did you get it from Rob?

You pretty much got what was listed under features if you did. The top is usally a black turtle neck. :D

• Black skirt (ties around waist

I can't sew worth a hoot but I have a great seamstress I've known for years. She can see a picture and do it.

I can sculpt armor and masks like my Mandalorian stuff but if I see wonderful work others have done I usually will get it. Some people rely on it as their livelihood so I'm willing to spend a few bucks to help them out and get something nice in return.

Yea Rob is who I bought it from. It looks great but right now I have half a costume. I would definitely pay for a seamstress to do the upper body to look the way it's suppose to so I can get approved. Just by looking at it I think I need an inner tunic and an outer tunice to attach the cape to. Correct me if I am wrong...

Hello

the pics are not the ebay member who sold this kind of Darth Nihilus' costume ?

a lot of things to do after buy this costume to be approuved ! :shock:

we made my Darth Nihilus KOTOR 2 version and now again we ameliorate it to make it better and suitable for me ;)

BEA_0201.JPG

I didn't purchase this through an eBay member.