Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • Announcement

    Welcome to the forums!

    If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

    If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

    -DV

Visas Marr WIP


LadyTori
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello all. I do not have anything to post as far as progress or pictures. If I'm being honest the idea of trying to make another costume sounds kinda daunting. I have spent upwards of 6 years on making a mando and due to my lack of sewing ability and general lack of craftiness, as well as the fact that in the middle of Wyoming the nearest OM to help me is an hour away (for mercs or 501st).

That being said, I fully intend to simply buy my costumes and just work on fixing little details as the pieces come in. I am not sure if there is a list of trusted vendors anywhere, but I did find a vendor on Etsy (linked below) by the name of "costumesbyrose" who is selling a full Visas (minus the boots) for only $330. I was wondering if anyone knew anything good, bad, or otherwise about this vendor? Or if people could sort of give it a once over and give thoughts on if her work seems up to CRL standards? 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/483478819/custom-visas-marr-costume?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=visas+marr&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums, and good luck on your costume.  I personally don't know of any vendors for Visas Marr, but I know there are others on here that will.

At first glance that costume doesn't look too bad, however there are a couple of things I noticed.  The sleeves on the costume don't look long enough, or have a large enough opening for draping.  The veil also looks a little off, like it conforms to the person face too much, but that might just be the way the person was wearing it.

Just a few of my observations, but I'm sure our Visas experts can go into more depth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello 

Welcome to our forum - I have see a couple of Visas Marr costumes from this vendor and sadly there are some problems regarding it.  

First, as Blane already stated, the sleeves are not long nor open enough, the grey stripes on the gloves are to dark, the veil is also not formed right - the forhead piece is to high.  The pinwheel pattern looks odd, as if the paint has smeared out and it is to dark in color.

If you look at one of the other buyers of this costume, it does nok look as the one on the sale post, which is made several years ago, when the owner was approved in the RL  + I know of one, who has bought one from her last year, that is also made in a different way.  
As you can see on this pic (other buyer), the veil is off - it should lay flat and not have the fold around the face, the pinwheel pattern is different, the sleeves on this one seams to be too open/big, gloves has different silver lines + does not fit at all. 

If you can get her to make the sleeves on the innerdress (as on the pic in the sale thread)  longer and a bit more open, that would work + the veil needs to get the forhead made smaller, it is to high.  The outerdress - well, if the pattern can be more sharp in the lines + in a bit lighter grey color, that could work.  

Perhaps you can ask her about these things and see, if she is willing to redo the pieces ?

  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL_marr_unseen

costumes by rose 1.jpg

Edited by Heavy1973
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, I reached out to the seller (Tabitha) and she said she will work with me on getting the outfit more to CRL:

I fully understand. I have worked on the pattern and have changed the sleeves so they are fuller/longer. And I agree about the veil. When I get to that point, I can send you pictures so you can make sure it looks right. 

I don't mind you sharing your concerns. Please let me know and I will try to get you the best information about what I'm doing that I can to set your mind at ease. 

Sincerely,
Tabitha

So it does seems that she genuinely wants to help put things right. I'll let you all know how it turns out, I took the gamble.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2019 at 9:26 PM, Thedroidurlooking4 said:

Hello, I reached out to the seller (Tabitha) and she said she will work with me on getting the outfit more to CRL:

I fully understand. I have worked on the pattern and have changed the sleeves so they are fuller/longer. And I agree about the veil. When I get to that point, I can send you pictures so you can make sure it looks right. 

I don't mind you sharing your concerns. Please let me know and I will try to get you the best information about what I'm doing that I can to set your mind at ease. 

Sincerely,
Tabitha

So it does seems that she genuinely wants to help put things right. I'll let you all know how it turns out, I took the gamble.

 

 

One thing I didn't realize when I ordered my costume from her is that the CRLs for the 501st and Rebel Legions appear to be identical, but they're not.  I told Tabitha I was going for 501st approval and didn't mention the Rebel Legion.  My costume got approved by the 501st but it got knocked down by the Rebel Legion because the gloves have five stripes on them.  The 501st CRL says, "four or five" stripes, but even though the Rebel Legion has the same photos and what appears to be the same exact language/text, the Rebel Legion has changed little things like the acceptable number of stripes on the gloves

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks really odd and some places it is smeared... 

These are the patterns that are used for the pinwheels, which can also be found here on the forum. Don´t know, what she is doing, but it do not look right.  
 

download.jpg

pinwheel.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If she painted the pattern, you have to clean it frequently or it will collect paint on the back of the paper and distribute it where you lay it next.  I made several paper patterns and used them alternatively, then blotted the back after each use with a paper towel.

on mine after I was done I took some black paint that was the same sheen as my material and touch up areas that smeared a little. The pictures you posted look like it smeared a lot, but I guess they can try to cover up the places it’s not supposed to be painted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The uniformity of the  silver notch also makes me think that they had a, extra notch that was taken out as they were trimming the outline template and that the template was only used for 1 circle pattern at a time. It is too exact to be replicated that many times in the exact same spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot to reply in this group, I got the costume, I think the pattern still looks off and is obviously smugdy looking in places, but we're going to a gathering tomorrow at someone's house for costume fixes/prop making so I'm hoping maybe I can make some adjustments. I was mostly concerned with having to do tailoring so paint doesn't concern me nearly as much. We forgot to zip the costume and I forgot to put on my boots in these pics so I think that's why the shoulders look funny and you can't see the slit revealing the under dress, not sure about the sleeves...I haven't contacted her yet, been a bit busy with life. The sash has like a clasp thing that keeps it together as well as stitching.  The gloves are REALLY tight on my arms so not sure if they are a one size fits all kind of thing or what but might get another pair from spirit of Halloween or another costume shop, although my boyfriend said he thinks we can rip the seams and add either a stretchy material to let them expand or something (he's more confident in that department than I am). She asked for pretty detailed measurements but not of my arms. Maybe I'll contact her and ask about the gloves at the very least. From a tailoring standpoint I'm glad I found someone to help me with the overall costume/seams.  I sent some pics and a for review at the urging of my boyfriend (I know there are rather obvious flaws and wanted to fix them BEFORE submitting but he was insistent so here we are). I'm going to use black paint and see if I can redo the pinwheels with the pattern in this thread (thank you Heavy 1973) she said the pattern was much better than the one she had but then she didn't go back and redo it. 

123_1_04.thumb.jpg.e2de1f675bc10e4f638c5c3ee052e5d7.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Thedroidurlooking4 said:

I forgot to reply in this group, I got the costume, I think the pattern still looks off and is obviously smugdy looking in places, but we're going to a gathering tomorrow at someone's house for costume fixes/prop making so I'm hoping maybe I can make some adjustments. I was mostly concerned with having to do tailoring so paint doesn't concern me nearly as much. We forgot to zip the costume and I forgot to put on my boots in these pics so I think that's why the shoulders look funny and you can't see the slit revealing the under dress, not sure about the sleeves...I haven't contacted her yet, been a bit busy with life. The sash has like a clasp thing that keeps it together as well as stitching.  The gloves are REALLY tight on my arms so not sure if they are a one size fits all kind of thing or what but might get another pair from spirit of Halloween or another costume shop, although my boyfriend said he thinks we can rip the seams and add either a stretchy material to let them expand or something (he's more confident in that department than I am). She asked for pretty detailed measurements but not of my arms. Maybe I'll contact her and ask about the gloves at the very least. From a tailoring standpoint I'm glad I found someone to help me with the overall costume/seams.  I sent some pics and a for review at the urging of my boyfriend (I know there are rather obvious flaws and wanted to fix them BEFORE submitting but he was insistent so here we are). I'm going to use black paint and see if I can redo the pinwheels with the pattern in this thread (thank you Heavy 1973) she said the pattern was much better than the one she had but then she didn't go back and redo it. 

123_1_04.thumb.jpg.e2de1f675bc10e4f638c5c3ee052e5d7.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

I think before you repaint that yourself that you should contact her and ask her to redo it with the pattern you asked her to do it with.  Same thing with the gloves.  You paid her to give you an approvable Visas Marr, and you gave her your measurements.  So why are you spending money on paint and new gloves from Spirit Halloween when you paid her to make these things for you already?  Just my opinion. 

Edited by Lorelei
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You´re welcome - glad to be able to assist :wink:

I totally agree with Lorelei - you need to contact the seller and get her to redo the outerdress and gloves - you´ve paid for a approvable costume, and the seller was fully aware of the corrections needed. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the leaders of the local group said I should go ahead and submit it since my character is the only one in our regional group. I got approved after a slight lipstick change so it's all good now. I'm the only Visas in MN so maybe they went easy on me :) I'm SL90126 of the Centeral Garrison now! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to add that I did give her the pattern posted here and she said she liked it much better than the one she had so perhaps she will use it for future designs. She was very friendly. I was going to reach out to her if I did not get approval but I also noted that another reviewer on her page mentioned that they had an issue with their outfit (they did not state the nature of the issue) and they said she worked with them to fix it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Thedroidurlooking4 said:

One of the leaders of the local group said I should go ahead and submit it since my character is the only one in our regional group. I got approved after a slight lipstick change so it's all good now. I'm the only Visas in MN so maybe they went easy on me :) I'm SL90126 of the Centeral Garrison now! 

Again, I am not happy about this decision from your GML.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Thedroidurlooking4 said:

I would like to add that I did give her the pattern posted here and she said she liked it much better than the one she had so perhaps she will use it for future designs. She was very friendly. I was going to reach out to her if I did not get approval but I also noted that another reviewer on her page mentioned that they had an issue with their outfit (they did not state the nature of the issue) and they said she worked with them to fix it. 

If I were you, I would still get her to redo the outerdress - keep the one you have, and let her do a new one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...