• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus WIP

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Woah man!!! I LIKE YOUR DN

is it the KOTOR version or the COTF???

i get a little bit confuse on it...

one thing that i did and that i'm doing here at my home is taking the bigwater darth nihilus mask that i have and after sanded it for about an hour and an half...painting again with some lighting color....

hope it'll be easy :roll: ...

my first painting experience....

Guest Anonymous

Ok man...

let me give you some advice...

i'm working too at the COTF version...

you missed something on that version and let me give you some advice on it...

1)more tattering....the cloack is compleatly clean...destroy it :twisted: with a stiff bristle wire brush and a lighter...

2)Quilting on the sleeves, the COTF costume has quilted padding on the sleeves like what you see on Darth Vader's costume.

your costume is awesome man but you have to work more on it...like me :D

let's turn those costumes into something very special!!!!

Our Name is Nihilus!!!! :twisted::x:twisted:

I would like to start by saying that this costume is looking really good. It does still need some work, but it is looking like something that you can be proud of. I am especially happy with the cut of the tunics and skirts. They fit you well, and you used a LOT of material, as Nihilus should have. They are perfect.

For the sleeves of the undershirt. It looks like you only sewed lines on them with black string. Is there any quilting in the sleeves? They should be puffy between the sewn lines, like Darth Vader's sleeves. As I just posted in another thread, to quilt the arms you can use a product called batting or wadding. You can get it at many crafts or sewing stores. It comes in different "lofts," which is how tall and thick it is. You can use a low or medium loft for the arms. You put the batting between two pieces of your black fabric, and then sew the lines through all three of the layers. The batting will lift up between the sewn lines, giving the puffy quilted look. It is clear that you did put lines on the sleeves, but to be truly accurate, they need to be quilted.

The hood is the only major problem that I see with your costume. There is WAAAAAY too much puffy fabric around your head and shoulders. As you can see in the reference image, Nihilus does not have a baggy hood. Instead, the fabric goes from his head, to the knot, and then straight down his back, like this:

DNs.jpg1003638.jpg

I recently typed this in another thread, so I'm just going to copy-paste, rather than typing it all again:

This is the trick that Scott used to give his hood and cape the right look: First he made a cape that came over his shoulders and hung down to the floor in the back. Then, he attached a second piece of fabric to his mask to form the hood. This fabric hangs down all of the way to the ground in the back, over the top of the cape. He took the corners of the cape AND the hood and attached them together in the front to make the knot. So, the hood fabric reaches all of the way to the ground and it makes the cape look like it has a LOT of fabric.

CapeTurnarounds.jpg

Finally, I would suggest a bit more tattering. The ragged cuts of the fabric look good, but now you just need to tear up the cut edges so that they will look worn out instead of freshly cut with scissors. To wear the edges down, you can use a cheese grater, a plaster rasp, or a wire brush to tear up the edges of the fabric. It should look like this when you're done:

WeatheredFabric.jpg

You are well on your way to making a top-notch costume. It will look fantastic when you are done!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Thank you very much Pam... im working on the hood as we speak

btw... the sewed lines on the sleves are there... here are a couple of close ups

1003651.jpg

1003652.jpg

It doesnt look that puffy, but it is i can asure you

Guest Anonymous

Ok so a little more damage and tearing and olding LOL here is the result:

1003670.jpg

1003672.jpg

And the hood correction:

1003679b.jpg

it sure looks better now, and i have to thank Pam for that ;)

Guest Anonymous

it doesn't look better...

it looks gorgeous!!!!

good work man!!!!

i just near to finish the painting work on my mask and i think on saturday i'll start again my new total conversion on the costume...

Guest Anonymous
it doesn't look better...

it looks gorgeous!!!!

good work man!!!!

i just near to finish the painting work on my mask and i think on saturday i'll start again my new total conversion on the costume...

Thank for the kind words Davide, and good luck with your Nihilus ;) i have already submited the pics for approval so im in waiting zone now ^_^

Guest Anonymous

Well guess before they approve me OR not lol i'm working again on the sleeves, gonna make them more quilted like, as other members have done it

so im not done yet... there's still improvement i can make

Always something too do... If you can find some rolled quilting material, that's whats I used, seemed to work pretty well... Very warm though.