• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My New Improved Comic/Concept Version Ventress

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I wore it at Supanova this weekend:

P1000092.jpg

P1000104.jpg

P1000108.jpg

P1000109.jpg

P1000097.jpg

And me in action at around three minutes in:

BTW, how do you stop the makeup from going everywhere? By the end of the day everything that was once black was grey.

Note to self, bring spirit gum along for re-application.

I can't seem to find the pics from your previous version, but if I remember correctly this looks like an improvement over that. I like the look of the top (should the black side panels continue in the back as well?), the skirt, bracers and belt look good too, though I'm not sure if the picture makes the belt look brown.

What kind of makeup are you using? Water based or oil based? In areas where your skin comes in to direct contact with part of your costume, it's hard to get the make up to stay. Personally, I've used water based makeup and then used a fixing spray over top to keep the makeup from rubbing off. Sorry, I've no experience using oil based makeup.

A couple of suggestions I would offer: make sure to paint your hands if not wearing gloves, and for the bald cap I would recommend either using the Pax product Sakara refers to in her bald cap tutorial, or cover the bald cap (and your face) with a good quality foundation before applying the grey makeup.

Nicely done :)

Guest Daritha

The Obi-Wan-lookalike stabbing is a really good shot.

And: a TARDIS! Was it bigger on the inside? ^^

Guest Anonymous

The belt is a deep brown, the photos make it look brighter though.

The make up was a pain. I did put it on my hands, but it rubbed off by the end of the day. It's a Kryolan TV stick, doesn't say anything on the label but I'd say it's oil based.

I'll try fixing spray though.

Guest Sakara

oil based makeup is not the best thing for all day and active costuming as it really mixes fast with the skins own oils and comes off, as you found. Water based is the best cheap option as it last longer ( as long as you prepare the skin with moisterisers and sweat stop.

I notice your top appears to be white...which as was discussed isnt the correct shade for her outfit..i think if yoyu popped it through a grey dye bath is should come out the right colour :D

Guest Sakara
I also think that oil-based make-up is very smudging due to the oil base of it, right?

yeah, for long duration of time wearing it, it isnt the best as youd need a thick layer to last and that can be aweful on the skin.

It is looking much better, thanks for sharing the images, hope the event was fun. :)

Others have noted most of the stuff you could refine, the only thing I would say is the cap on the neck. I know when Ladyb first did hers she didn't use the adhesive on the neck and after shooting for a while her hair began to come out there as it curled a little. Just a little something to hold it there and the makeup suggestions to blend the transition should work great.

Guest Daritha

A more covering make-up could do wonders, I suppose. On these images (despite that I love the shot of Asajj Ventress before a TARDIS!! :D ) you could see very clearly what is skin and what is the cap.

By the way: Do anyone know what makeup make blood wounds more realistic? I suppose I can find these things in every store but the topics are here somehow related so I try a shot. ;)

Looking good. So you didn't say....is the Tardis bigger on the inside ;)

The obi one picture reminded me of some I saw when doing my approval pictures. I had two of our pre-armour Vader's being checky and trying to get me to laugh, but I took care of them in the end:

Logan%20Armor%20Party%20-%2006-20-09%20-%20023_disp640.jpg

always need to show those Jedi who's boss.

Guest Daritha
I hesitate to ask. This could completely destroy my childhood memories. *g*

Guest Sakara
I hesitate to ask. This could completely destroy my childhood memories. *g*

the real one is! :wink: ive seen it!

Guest Anonymous

So I'm just a few weeks away from sending in my approval shots. Who do I send that to BTW?

And it would be a shame to have to do it twice to fix up some little thing. So is my costume all clear?

I've read and re-read the standards and it seems right to me.

Good morning,

I would recommend posting your new and improved images here, in this thread, before completing and sending in your 501st application.

(First you send in your application, then the Garrison Member Liaison (GML) of the specific region you are applying in will contact you for photos. Then I will give the final review of your Expanded Universe costume in the GML forum. From there your GML will either promote your application status in the database or communicate with you what areas need improvement.)

It might be good to get a pre-review here where all can see and benefit.

Remember the list of 501st requirements for a costume is just a list. It has little to do with the approval of a costume. How the costume and the costumer matches the visual reference is the key.

Be well,

Thomas

What Thomas said ;)

It looks like

Garrison Membership Liaison – Bradley Bristow Stagg

gml [at] 501tag [dot] com

is the person to contact directly based on the site. Do post some pictures.

My costume hasn't changed from Supanova though.

If that is the case you might want to take a look at the several suggestions that were posted, most all seemed to be good suggestions. Only Thomas or perhaps Pam could say definitively, but those would help.

From the pictures you linked too it looks like it would be helpful to make a template for the tattoos, if you'd like we could share what we use, just let us know. Good luck with it.

Edited for spelling

So I'm just a few weeks away from sending in my approval shots. Who do I send that to BTW?

And it would be a shame to have to do it twice to fix up some little thing. So is my costume all clear?

I've read and re-read the standards and it seems right to me.

I would like to suggest a different way of thinking. You seem to have an impatient outlook when it comes to making costumes and getting your costumes approved. Often when faced with that outlook, I find myself hesitant to offer suggestions because I fear that the person will either offer excuses for why they think something is "close enough" (which usually means that it isn't) or they'll complain that we're being too picky about the details. But, the 501st is all about the details. We are dedicated to professional quality costuming, and we spend a lot of time making and remaking our costumes until they're just right. There is no "shame" in being asked to go back and revise things. I've been costuming for years, and I still have costume elements that I get wrong on every costume that I make. It takes me a while (and the help of other costumers) to get things figured out. It's all about the process, and learning how to use the materials to their best effect.

Here are the elements that I see, working down from head to toe. Some of these have been addressed before.

Bald cap - needs to be glued down at the back of the neck. This will improve the look at the back of the head, and will reduce the wrinkles visible around the rest of the bald cap.

Tattoo patterns - The tattoos over the ears are missing, and the ones on the cheeks are a bit too small.

Collar - Asajj's collar is incredibly difficult to make. I think youv'e got it pretty close. Not perfect, but nicely done. How were the lines put on it? I cannot tell in the picture, but it looks somewhat like silver Sharpie, perhaps. I think the collar is passable, but I'm wondering if, with a bit of work, you can take it up a notch to make it truly stunning. I would suggest coloring the underside of the collar black. When you raise your arms, the stark-white of the underside becomes visible and it detracts from the finished look. Another option is to attach the collar to your shirt so that it cannot rise up.

Shirt - The white areas of your shirt should be pale gray. You may have interpreted the light areas of the doll as being white, but they are not a true white. It is tinted. Compare the true white color of her face to the off-white color of the shirt, and you can see the difference. I would also suggest bringing the black around further behind your arms. It seems to end quite abruply, and would look better if the front and back matched. The horizontal lines are not required in the shirt, but you may find that they add a great bit of detail to the costume.

Forearm wraps- Your forearm pieces look like Renaissance inspired leather vambraces with buckles on them. Can you offer a reference for that look? If not, then they need to be proper wraps as seen in the references.

Ventress_Wrist_Wraps.jpg

Belt - The belt is beautiful, but it must be dyed black.

Skirt - Well done. I like the weight, cut, and flow of the material.

Leggings - Good to go.

Boots - Yup, those look right.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

I'm not impatient, just obsessive with getting my costumes just right.

That was the first time I did a bald cap and forgot to bring the glue along with me. Obviosuly I wouldn't wear it like that otherwise.

In what photo do I not have the tattoos on my ears?

The lines in the collar are made of silver thread.

I think you're right though. I should line it.

The belt is a deep brown, looks lighter in the pictures. But it's like this:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/a ... loseup.jpg

Gauntlets:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/j ... 09-001.jpg

Can I dye the shirt, or will it have some effect on the black parts?

I think I've seen them in all the photos but they're so light and small that they aren't seen. You're welcome to use my template if you like, this can be printed and then cut out of a sheet of plastic like from some packaging or whatnot. With some good theatrical black make-up applied with a makeup wedge it works well. http://www.mcapell3d.com/images/AsajjTats.pdf

After testing and trying several things what we opted for was to pull a little of the fabric together and run a thick round shoelace through it. I used a similar technique for the edges of the shirt on the front and arms to make the rim of the armour.

The belt is a deep brown, looks lighter in the pictures. But it's like this:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/a ... loseup.jpg

Yes, the belt should be like that reference is, in black.

Yes, the vambraces on that doll, like the boots, were design elements not seen anywhere else. We liked the look of the ones from the comic that Pam also has in the standards, but with that as a reference source they may be OK with Thomas, you'd need to check with him though.

Can I dye the shirt, or will it have some effect on the black parts?

Not sure. That is what I would try, but I would definitely test it out on a scrap of both the white and the dark fabric to see how it will affect it and get the timing down precisely.

Good luck with things. Happy baldcapping. :)

dying the shirt a pale grey wont have any issue with the black parts, as no standard grey dye has any sort of lightening ingredient in it. of course it depends on what fabric the white parts are as to if the dye will take or how itl take. If you have a left over piece of that white fabric. test dye it first.

Also id include the princess seam on the back - so you have a matching black panel on the back and the 2 black side panels match up. The sideshow doll for example doesnt have a side seam (due to doll sizes) but on her top the black part does go round from front to back.

see on this great image, you can see a side seam and the black side panels are on both front and back

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/galle ... fullsize=1

the gauntlets on the sideshow are very cool, and a nice design, but they still are very tightly fitted to the arm. yours are still quite loose, take them in a bit id say and if you are matching to the doll then youll need more thin straps.

the face tattoos need to be thicker and bolder...youve got great eye makeup going on and the tattoos really should be as bold. A stencil as offered by Ladyb is a great way to go, or as i developed a sponge block print that i then went around with a liquid liner.

the belt is very cool indeed., but give it a wash of black leather dye and itll look even better. :D

Guest Anonymous

I think I've seen them in all the photos but they're so light and small that they aren't seen. You're welcome to use my template if you like, this can be printed and then cut out of a sheet of plastic like from some packaging or whatnot. With some good theatrical black make-up applied with a makeup wedge it works well. http://www.mcapell3d.com/images/AsajjTats.pdf

After testing and trying several things what we opted for was to pull a little of the fabric together and run a thick round shoelace through it. I used a similar technique for the edges of the shirt on the front and arms to make the rim of the armour.

Like piping?

And thanks for the templates. I wasn't sure just how obvious they should be.

the face tattoos need to be thicker and bolder...youve got great eye makeup going on and the tattoos really should be as bold. A stencil as offered by Ladyb is a great way to go, or as i developed a sponge block print that i then went around with a liquid liner.

the belt is very cool indeed., but give it a wash of black leather dye and itll look even better. :D

The belt is reversible and it's black on the back, so that's makes things easier

Think I might completely redo the shirt anyway. Looks like a silverfish got at it.

Thanks, my mum does my eye make-up. I should probably let her do the rest of it too.