• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My New Improved Comic/Concept Version Ventress

Guest Anonymous

The belt is reversible and it's black on the back, so that's makes things easier

Think I might completely redo the shirt anyway. Looks like a silverfish got at it.

Sounds like you're good to go on the belt, then. Very good.

Silverfish... aack! Of course, sometimes disasters like that can be clouds with a silver lining. I once had a mouse decide to eat one of my costume molds (What in the world is a mouse doing chewing up silicone!?), and I was devistated when I saw what had been done. But... it forced me to start over from scratch, and I did a MUCH better job the second time around. Darned little mouse helped me make a better costume. Now, in the future when you are sporting an improved shirt, you can blame it on a critter, too! :P

Pam

Guest Anonymous

That is the case with alot of my costumes. I'll look back on them and realise what I could do better.

I guess this is a good opportunity to improve on it. And it will be a costume that I wear alot.

I think I might go for a light and dark grey combination and put some piping along the sleeves.

I need a shirt pattern though.

Yes, like piping. I did try some fish tank piping in one try but it was a little too stiff and bulky, so I went with the shoelace that my husband suggested.

I didn't use a pattern for the shirt, just made it as I went but might be able to put something together if I have it. I'll need to check and see if we kept what I went from. I found a small fitted sweater and cut the shape of the lighter material out of it and then made those sections from what I did with the sweater.

seams princess seams arent in fashion at the moment as i cant find a good pattern for you to work off.

Heres some guides on how create and modify a princess seam. It isnt that hard to do and having this knowledge means you'll be able to mod any pattern you like.

http://www.sewing.org/files/guidelines/ ... _seams.pdf

how to adjust to fit your bust and waist -

http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/fu ... cess-seams

You can then take a pattern for a stretch top that has no seams in it at all and put the princess seams in, placing the seams for the side panels anywhere you want.

Guest Anonymous

Oh yeah, I know how to do that. I'm studying fashion and textiles. But a plain long sleeve top pattern is hard to find. Going to have to McGuyver it.

I have found that Kwik Sew has very good patterns for more plain clothing and great "active wear" patterns like for leotards, tights, etc. Here's one for a plain long-sleeved shirt: http://www.kwiksew.com/catalog/cat_deta ... sTopBlouse

When I made my top I did just what Sakara mentioned to put princess seams in by using my overlock machine (or serger) and stitching a seam where I wanted it. Worked perfectly.

And thanks ladyb for the template :wink: