• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

WIP: Starting on a Darth Revan have MANY Questions

Kylo

Hi! Im Dawn, I'm an active member of the Rebel Legion. I have been sewing for many years and always wanted to attempt something with armor. With that said I want to get started on a Darth Revan ASAP.

I would like to have it in working order (if not DREAM of even having it approved) by Comic Con San Diego (Mid July)

Heres some of my work:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewto ... 123#595123

http://queenamidalasabe.blogspot.com/

Heres my art

http://www.realuglydrawings.com

Heres my Sculpting

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Lots of Questions Here I go... !! THANK YOU ETERNALLY FOR ANY REPLIES !!

1. Is the SWTOR Version of Revan even approval through you guys?? He is (technically) a good guy in the Foundry?

2. Sintra or Wonderflex? Either or both are appropriable for 501st to make armor with? Anyone recommend one over the other?

3. I know I haven't even started, but is there anything I should really pay attention to? Ive researched a couple of hangups on the forums, Ive noticed the hooks on the chest plate recommendations from Tandy, but no size is noted?) Id love to be specific on anything you guys thing i need to know and get it right.

4. Black Linen (or very linen like) is alright for the soft parts?

5. Do I need to contact someone with my intent to make this costume? (IE: My local Garison?)

So excited to get started!! Annnnd GO!

Ive got my finger on the buy it now button for Wonderflex, but id LOVE your opinions!!

PS- I am 100% ok with making a "Traditional" Revan as well (and might do it). Just wanted to know if the foundry Revan is ok.

***** 5/21/13 UPDATE- After much research. I AM going to do BOTH Revans: I have only one issue.... the Revan as he stands in SWTOR is Not Cannon (Bioware has stated) They will update him in 2.2 which is coming up in a month :) Lets cross our fingers for ONE of the groupd (RL or 501st) to approve the SWTOR version when 2.2 comes out ;) *****

Welcome to Flagship, Dawn.

I must say, your user name on the RL forum always makes me do a double-take when I see it. My maiden name was Unruh, and it's a name I don't see around very often!

At this point, there is only one approved version of Revan. There is some discussion about the foundry version, but I'm not sure he would be approved since his good/grey/villain classification is uncertain. That decision would be up to the LMO, who would have to be convinced that Revan's qualifying as a villain at that point. You can find a thread about the foundry costume here on the forum.

I haven't used sintra or wonderflex, so I cannot recommend either. I'm more of a sculpt and cast in fiberglass kind of girl. But, the rule is always this: it doesn't matter what material you use, as long as the final result looks right!

There is no set size on the hooks, just make sure they look in reasonable proportion to your body size.

Linen should work fine, I think. The reference images tend to have a bit of gloss to the fabric, and I have seen linens that have a nice sheen to them. As with all costumes, just compare the fabric you have in mind to the references, and see how it looks in color, texture, and drape!

Pam :-)

Thats so funny Pam! Small world. Unruh is a very rare name to find ( was my maiden as well) :)

I noticed that slight sheen. I was concerned about using Linen for that reason. Wonder if its a Cotton Blend? I love Linen, its so natural feeling :)

it doesn't matter what material you use, as long as the final result looks right!

Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear! I haven't the foggiest on how to go about doing Fiberglass! (one thing I would love to get into someday.) But I want to stick to a substrate I think I can easily transition to.

Thanks for the information about the traditional (original) version. He is amazing as well. :) I agree though. he is kind of a good guy

Welcome to Flagship, Dawn.

At this point, there is only one approved version of Revan. There is some discussion about the foundry version, but I'm not sure he would be approved since his good/grey/villain classification is uncertain. That decision would be up to the LMO, who would have to be convinced that Revan's qualifying as a villain at that point. You can find a thread about the foundry costume here on the forum.

I would be happy to have that conversation with Muppet and any others who would want in on it.

I'm in full support of him as a bad guy. He's flippin' nuts.

Conversely, approve-able or not, if you want to do it, get yourself a whole work-room full of screencaps, proportion it right and build a real-world version for yourself, I think you'd be doing the costuming world a favor.

I say go for it, and I'd be happy to help make suggestions along the way if you need another set of eyes.

Lastly, welcome, and please post lots and lots and lots of photos! We'd all love to see it unfold.

Question for you guys about some hooks.

The hook on the bottom is to oval for the armor?

20130522_080132_zps33242c48.jpg

UPDATE: I have purchased almost everything (including lightsaber)

Still missing the...black material.. ha!

Question: On traditional Revan, is there a reason why everyones burgundy front is wrinkly? (Horizontally not Vertical)

I would be happy to have that conversation with Muppet and any others who would want in on it.

I'm in full support of him as a bad guy. He's flippin' nuts.

Conversely, approve-able or not, if you want to do it, get yourself a whole work-room full of screencaps, proportion it right and build a real-world version for yourself, I think you'd be doing the costuming world a favor.

I say go for it, and I'd be happy to help make suggestions along the way if you need another set of eyes.

Lastly, welcome, and please post lots and lots and lots of photos! We'd all love to see it unfold.

Thank you so much! :)

Heres what I had my hubby do. I hope this was alright... I used your guys screenshots from KOTOR and made my own SWTOR version to show the difference

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/ ... g~original

Question ( sorry I know I have a lot of them)

Is this how the costume should fall upon my body?

armorcomp_zpsc6e8d5d1.jpg

compchart2_zps00f18ff4.jpg

Thank you for ANY help

Question ( sorry I know I have a lot of them)

Is this how the costume should fall upon my body?

Thank you for ANY help

I have to laugh at this and others who have done Revan will too.

Should it? Yes.

Will it? No.

Its how it should look vs a real person wearing it. It will pull out, fall off/out, slip, slide, cinch, etc. It will take some work and some personal modding to get that comfort fit / costume standard balance. Check out some of the build threads to see what others have done to fix some of these issues. Just remember you may not have some of the same issues but you also may solve new ones!!

Since you are doing your build from scratch you will have more options during your build to build for you. Good luck with your build and we will look forward to seeing it!

DarthBrute hahaha... more true words could not be spoken.

Thanks btw! Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any Glaring issues. I can miss things at times :D

DarthBrute hahaha... more true words could not be spoken.

Thanks btw! Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any Glaring issues. I can miss things at times :D

No problem. Sorry I swept past the hooks. Your armor will be key to these. Those of us with Wicked Armor Revan have tough time finding hooks that will fit. As I said in a previous post that since yours is a scratch build you have moe options available. But I think yhosee hooks will do just fine. Your o rings will need to be 1"-1.25" though.

More Questions (Again........)

Do I have to make the caplet like the one in the example??

Reason: The caplet on Revan in KOTOR looks wrinkled and gathered (I like that look) and the example is 3 perfect draping pieces of fabric. (visually it looks much cleaner line than the game)

The REQs dont call for a caplet with 3 tiers. But I still wanted to double check before deterring from the costume image.

ref1_zpsd4cd58f6.jpg

Your o rings will need to be 1"-1.25" though.

Thank you so much!! I dont know why I didnt put my ruler next to it... I have updated the image. They are 1.25 I believe?

what saber are you using?

there has been loads of threads on which one is revans saber

Lightsaber: Ok so here is what I did.. and let me know if this is NOT allowed

I bought 2 sabers from ultrasabers red and 1 purple, I bought the most basic models (silver) and I was going to do the gold/brass look myself on my husbands machines to get it as CLOSE as I can.

(I did NOT order the SWTOR version, again afraid they will change something in 2.2)

If the costumer is portraying Darth Revan from Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, then two lightsabers are carried. If the lightsabers are bladed, one blade is red, and the other is purple.

The hilt midsection is silver, with the emitter head and back pommel sections showing gold or brass in color.

Well I know you have been supporting my claim that Revan should be allowed in the RL so from that point im sure they will come up with a final desicion on the sabers

but on the 501st CRL they show a completely different saber with no image reference to KOTOR II

You dont need a saber to get approved bu in my garrison UKG you can only get approved with the one from wookipedia

so it will be good to ask your local 501st GML

Remember that the 501st deals with approval by GML at a local level not world wide like the RL

so your best bet is contacting SOCAL Garrison GML for the right saber

with regards to the question of the 3 perfect aligned folds again depends on if you are going for approval with your local garrison

so the safest thing to do is ask your local GML on EU

if he is here then he will be able to anser your question in this thread

One thing that i do find hard is that do to the fact that each garrison judges its own local memebrs there are discrepancies on standars with some people getting approved with basic standars and other having to do loads of changes to meet the critiria

Thank you soo much Alan for your continued help! Ive just contacted my local Garrison (So. Cal)

I have full intent upon wanting to join the 501st anyways, so I am happy to do just the traditional (KOTOR) Revan first.

I am pretty confident that I can form a solid argument for Redeemed Revan to be Canon for RL. I JUST NEED 2.2 TO HURRY UP! (and get here haha) I am very concerned the costume will change a ton. So I dont want to waste my time (and money) on things that will change in a month (or less at this point)

=)

...and then the question remains.... when I make the SWTOR Revan, IF the RL 100% denies it and calls it Informal. Would that push for the 501st to Cannonize it?

One groups got to take him... no? ;)

...and then the question remains.... when I make the SWTOR Revan, IF the RL 100% denies it and calls it Informal. Would that push for the 501st to Cannonize it?

One groups got to take him... no? ;)

I don't really agree that one group denying him means the other group should pick him up.

That being said, I would be happy to make the case FOR the 501st taking it on, as genocide is generally not condoned by the Jedi Council.

As we push forward and if you start taking up the mantle for the new costume, I will be happy to help you in any way.

In the short-term, I have some stuff to do this weekend but I will go over your questions you've posted recently and provide my 2 cents as well. With an initial glance it seems you're already being lead down a good path thanks to Alan and Brute.

Thank you so much! :)

Me as well, I went away (and will be away) for the remainder of the weekend. I went to the Disneyland 24 our event, now on my way to Palm Springs! See you guys after Memorial day, have a great holiday all!!

Do I have to make the caplet like the one in the example??

Reason: The caplet on Revan in KOTOR looks wrinkled and gathered (I like that look) and the example is 3 perfect draping pieces of fabric. (visually it looks much cleaner line than the game)

The REQs dont call for a caplet with 3 tiers. But I still wanted to double check before deterring from the costume image.

On this I will disagree with Alan, in that all Flagship/EU costumes are approved at the LMO level, not at the GML level. Though a good GML is probably going to dig into it a little if they see something first.

I've had the pleasure of watching a LOT of submissions in the past 4-5 months and with regards to the capelet I would say this: While it isn't in the CRL, it is the commonly accepted form to have the 3 neat pleats. Again you're doing a scratch build, so I suggest making it look as accurate as possible to the source material.

While our vast majority of Revans are from MWA, it is not the be-all end-all and ultimately your costume, like any and all others, should be judged against the source material first.

Chances are I'll have a look at it either during your WIP or during your actual submission to the LMO and I'll be looking for 'something' on the capelet that resembles the folding. A permanent crease is probably going to be easier to maintain, as this is a fabric costume and stuff doesn't stay in place, much like Brute said.

If you don't go with a permanent solution, and I'd encourage you to do so and think outside the box, I would ask you to keep in mind the fact that it's going to shift while wearing and to find an answer to that problem while you're designing your work.

As for the Lightsaber, plenty of other discussions around here on that, a few in the Revan board itself. Basically: It's not a Legion policy standard, and is optional, get the best one you can, and in this case, it's a power likely delegated to the States (Garrison) since it's not Federal (Legion).

Edit: And on the topic of the red drape/sash. The horizontal lines you see are called wrinkles, they're a terrible disease that happens. Sadly the piece is too long for most storage crates, I do my best to lay it out while I'm getting into the rest of my costume, to try and get at least the major fold in the middle out. For a submission I'd try to keep them to a minimum. But in practical wear, it's probably a survivable issue of costuming.

On this I will disagree with Alan, in that all Flagship/EU costumes are approved at the LMO level, not at the GML level. Though a good GML is probably going to dig into it a little if they see something first.

Not sure how it works in other garrisons but in mine if the GML thinks you costume is not good the LMO wont even realise you exist ;)

So what i was saying is keep your GML happy then worry about the LMO !

Thank you! Great to hear about the Burgundy (and sorry to hear its happened to everyones costume) I was concerned I would have to "make" those wrinkles. I noticed every single persons WIP had them. But I also noticed that 90+% of peoples costumes seemed to be made by someone else (all look extremely uniform) thank you for that information. I will boldly go where few have traveled and use the reference materials provided instead of already made costumes I keep staring at (they are absolutly stunning btw), and make it look just like the 3D model. I should be able to do a hidden stitch to keep the material in place after possibly Ironing the whole thing down in place (its how I make my Obis) :)

So what i was saying is keep your GML happy then worry about the LMO !

You're absolutely right! They're still the one who has to submit your stuff. :P

I am back! With an ever so TINY update.

I trooped with the RL last Sat and was able to talk to a number of very helpful 501st'ers, I went home and talked to my husband, he now wants to do a Vader. I have started ordering parts (the take forever ones, on the direction of the Darth Detachment) But while we wait (a year) for his Vader to come in I will sew HIM a Revan and I will be doing the SWTOR version for MYSELF. Since I already have (now 3) costumes I would just like to get him one done to get him trooping.. he is a big guy. Tall, big, just in every way. I did some photoshop comps of him in 4 costumes I picked out for him that I could sew and he chose Revan *whom he adores anyways*

So really long story short, after I finish my Starkiller Sith Robes (which should be sometime this week) **I have a WIP up on the Starkiller boards** I am going to start on HIS (now) Revan costume. :)

I will be using this as progress just like how I was going to use it for mine.

I hope thats ok?

Cant wait to get started!!

Hah! Rules? What rules? Plus, I don't see your name on the thread annnnnnd, you're building it.

I probably speak for most - all when I say it's awesome he wants to get in on the fun and we'd love to see the progress!

Guest Kilryth

Glad to see you're getting some good help here! To address your question on the armor materials:

The two most commonly used armor vendors use vacuum-formed ABS plastic and fiberglass. ABS plastic is lightweight, strong, and flexible. Fiberglass has the potential to be very strong and fairly lightweight, but you have to know what you're doing... or you can end up with a brittle piece of armor that chips like crazy.

Sintra (PVC foam) is a great material when working with fairly straight pieces of armor, such as Mandalorian armor. If you use Sintra, 3mm is nice to work with. Sintra does not mold in multiple directions very well; it's very difficult to make a large form-fitting back piece, for example.

You could also consider using EVA foam (such as weatherproof carmats) to mold the armor. This is popular for some heavily armored costumes.

Hope this helps some.