• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

WIP Nightsister Naa'leth

Naa'leth

So ... it is time to start my work in progress thread :))

After watching the TCW episodes with Naa'leth appearance over and over again and trying to make some screenshots here is my first results for you to show who she is

Front1_zps7da1de07.jpg

I had to realize that it is not easy to differentiate between the similar looking nightsisters.

I already bought some fabrics in different red shades and made my first tests in sewing.

Nothing to show in this early stadium :wink:

I mentioned that the costume is composed of

- the hood

- a neck scarf

- an armless top

- a panty

- a jacket/vest

- the belt with 3 layers

- arm and leg wrapping

- light footwear (boots)

Her weapons

- bow

- sword

If somebody finds out that something is missing ... any help or feedback will be appreciated.

Hello and a very happy new year to you all!!

Just as mentioned I bought some fabrics in different colours I will show you now:

Zusammenfassung_zps0b1c8cc3.jpg

I think the dark red (bordeaux) is the right one for the top which will look like:

Skizze4_zps4188f8ac.jpg

As you can see I had to consider how it could look like without the jacket - I watched the screenshots

several times and that is what I am pleased and can go on with.

There a some darker seams on the front converging in the middle of the top so I will take some darker yarn

and sew a curved line side to top/middle.

My first sewing test I have ever made looks not really fantastic - I began with a one-piece suit

firsttest_zpsacbc4d88.jpg

- but practice makes perfekt :?

What I also get is new hair :)) I just had to dress this wig

wig_zpsa520d419.jpg

And on my shopping tour I get some face paintings too (white and grey).

facepainting_zps8369f3a0.jpg

So I try to make a next sewing test to show you how my top will look like.

That´s all for the moment - any feedback is welcome...

So ... how is it goin' ??

First I had to buy an electric iron ... for so long there was no need for that ... "thing" :oops:

but now I have to admit that it is better to iron the fabric before trying to sew it...

And I needed someone to show me how this damn sewing machine is able to do as I like to!

My ideas for the different parts of this costume getting more concrete...

I think because Naa'leth is a real warrior her shirt is like a lined fencing jacket.

So I have decided to use fleece insert.

Second try with "dummy" fabrics (yes I know that it is the wrong colour):

1st_test_shirt_zpsbac95345.jpg

And you can see the first try for the panty which she is wearing underneath the shirt:

Pantie1_zpse7427994.jpg

My living room these days includes "pattern get-together". They all lay side by side:

pattern_jacket_zpsa5c19ffa.jpg

for the jacket

pattern_pantie_zpsc0e9e9b2.jpg

for the panty

pattern_shirt_zps95629f6c.jpg

for the shirt

Now I am looking forward to the weekend because I will get some more help.

It is really complicated choosing the right type of fabric and find out how the different parts of

the costume can fit/work together... It is hard because she is only an animated figure and so

the greatest challenge will be: adapt the several parts to real life.

So I hope that I can show you more results in a few days :D

What a successful weekend!

More clarity about choosing the right colours, getting better by sewing with this machine ;) ,

first ideas how to build the hood and my boyfriend takes a first look at how to create the bow

for little miss sunshine ...

3001_zpsc26a5cb6.jpg

For this weekend my plans are:

1. Fitting (does the shirt have the right size?)

2. sew a new panty in right colour (first one's red is to intense)

3. try to fix the tucks (hood)

4. weathering the jacket (in the moment it looks like a reflective vest :)) )

5. Fill up my "inventory"

Maybe it seems that I´m not making much progress... but believe me I do

Hello again!

I have not done much for my costume this weekend :(

- but we created my real size self made mannequin :lol: :

selfmade_mannequin_zpsb4130944.jpg

It was fun!

And I got a glass head/bust for the wig so it would be easier to dress it...

Unfortunately I only have time at the weekends for working at my costume.

So just a quick post today - hopefully there is more to report next week.

The ever fun duct tape mannequin! Looks like you are making great progress on this build and I am looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Cheers,

Nef

I was very happy getting a post reply by someone else ... thanks a lot for attending my WIP

I´m looking forward to tips and comments :)

After creating the lovely duct tape mannequin I had to realize that my shirt was to short at front and back:

2nd_test_shirt_2_zps16ded7cb.jpg

2nd_test_shirt_zpsc694b6e4.jpg

So I made a new one - now using the mannequin:

3rd_test-shirt2_zps67faf117.jpg

3rd_test-shirt_zps81ba938e.jpg

And with my new panty in same colour it became this:

shirt_withnewpanty_zps6e83d660.jpg

I think I still need some help with the stand-up collar ...

Remember Naa'leth´s appearance there are some quilting seams in the front of her top:

Kopf2_zpsfc85fc96.jpg

Some kind of carved ornament I think. I thought about using some interlining material - for the front of the top.

That is what I tried with the first top you can see at the beginning of this post reply.

I´m still searching for the right material the vests consits of...

The intense orange felt looks just like a reflective vest :~

So that´s what I´ve done this weekend!

Long time no see...
I was very busy during the last weeks. Some business trips, different deadlines to adhere and some problems with colleagues at work... so that I wasn´t very motivated to work on my costume in my very little free time.
But now this phase is over and I can dedicate my time to my own project again.
That´s what I thought... until my sewing machine quitted :doh:
But here is what I´ve done anyway:
2014-04-03204737_zps1d7d772f.jpg
The new jacket with the pattern for the camouflage which I have to put on the cloth
I tried different textile paints ...
And I was working on the sketches for the e-bow:
P1030078_zpsb03fd8ed.jpg
P1030080_zpsb7d12947.jpg
So my next steps:
Bying a new sewing machine!!

Happy Easter!!

Upon resuming my project after getting a new sewing machine I finised the shirt with the banded collar.

So I can spend my time on the vest and it looks nice so far:

P1030081_zpsba378917.jpg

Even with the sleeves it looks promising:

P1030082_zps49c75377.jpg

Thinking I´ve found a problem solving for the shoe issue... I was happy by this search result:

TOMS wrap boots!

But after getting my pair of shoes I had to realize that they didn´t fit in size 6 - although usually I wear size 5,5 (37)! I´m trying to find them in a bigger size but got no success up to now... :-(

Next steps:

- finish the vest - including the pattern (camouflage)

- Making the belt which nearly looks like a "Obi" - which belongs to a japanese kimono...

- Getting the straps on the tights

- Creating the "hood"

Hello there!

Here are some pictures from my doing last weekend:

P1030084_zps9f410fa1.jpg

You can see that I´ve finished the top with the collar and the vest only needs the pattern to be completed...

For your imagination - I put the parts together and tried to indicate the belt with pieces of the different fabrics I´m planning to use:

P1030087_zpsf2722287.jpg

So my next challenge is finding a way how to get the right colour pattern on the vest...

Wish me luck...

Hello again...
I finished the belt with its "flaps" and the design for the vests braid.
P1030088_zpsb4ab5430.jpg

Divine what is that on the back?? Yes that Naa'leth back ornament - the "wings"...
Just a prototype for now (I have to chamfer the wings on the skeletal structure):
P1030090_zps50a89fca.jpg
P1020996_zps8b25045d.jpg
...so the bow:
P1030089_zpsdd9e3134.jpg
(just the handle)
P1030105_zps54a745e7.jpg

Now it is time to begin with arms (gloves) and legs (sleeve / poultice)
P1030091_zps881a8251.jpg
I found mitten - I choose to wrap the fabric around it and fix it.
That is my plan for the legs too. I don´t know if I choose the right colours for the sleeve around the legs (fix it on a pair of tights)...
P1030093_zps4c2cd42a.jpg
On the left side is the pant ... below you can see the pair of tights.
Still waiting for my shoes ... I ordered them just 4 weeks ago :urgh:

Maybe someone likes to leave a feedback behind ... :) that would be a great pleasure!

Oh - I visited the RPC (RolePlayConvention) in Cologne last weekend and made the acquaintance to worbla and Kobracast... :D - really nice construction material. I think it will be helpful preparing the bow and the "wings"...

So that´s it for the moment ... see you!

Here is the next update to my WIP:
Last weekend we tested discharge paste on the vest to create the pattern in a brighter orange - and it worked!!
P1030101_zps80949f81.jpg
P1030110_zpseebe7589.jpg
So one of the biggest problem´s solved!
And we also worked with worbla for the wings to get them into the right position:
P1030104_zps8f4539eb.jpg
I just have to fill the gaps and then use primer and the colour which I think is the same as the border with the ornaments on the vest... maybe with whitish film...
And the handle of the bow just looks like this:
P1030106_zps2bbb23b6.jpg
So I have to work some different parts to get them into final looks and positions but after that we use worbla to make it solid...
P1030108_zps69902f06.jpg

So during this week I try to complete the pattern on the vest and after that I´ll show you the result
Wish me luck ;)
still waiting for my boots... they look like this - I think it matches perfect
2605_zpse98459d3.jpg
Many thanks to Rayvn :D we´ll keep in touch!

Guest Duck

Fantastic job! you have motivated me to visit the forums more to see your process. This is really exciting!

Hello everybody!

It is Tuesday evening and high time to update my WIP...

Here are the results by photo:

P1030128_zps63ec08a0.jpg

P1030131_zpsbe732b77.jpg

P1030053_zpsf5c59674.jpg

I had to do the pattern on the border again -- by hand :(

But we nearly finished the carrying straps for the "wings" (--> the wings aren´t finished at all... the paintjob isn´t like it has to be)

P1030129_zps69d63364.jpg

P1020996_zps8b25045d.jpg

I now had to do the wrap job for my legs...

Surprise!! I got my shoes - Yeahhh!!!

P1030132_zps80e498d2.jpg

And made my gloves

P1030130_zps1369b613.jpg

Maybe after this week my costume will look like this :

P1020998_zps7521aa77.jpg

There is light at the end of the tunnel.... ;)

Hello everybody!

Sorry that I´ve went into hiding for a while but I was busy and down with the flu ... and that in summertime :(

So let´s see what had happened since my last post:

Before sending my pics for approval I got a really fair-minded feedback which contains some suggestions for improvement to my costume the way it looks at this moment. I´d really like to thank the guys for that honest reply :D

In fact that there is no solution for the "wig-problem" (I asked a wigmaker if it is possible to get it look like it has to but she couldn´t provide any opportunity) I´m in need to get the hood Naa'leth is wearing sometimes like all other Nightsisters do.

So I think my pic with the wig how it looks at this moment looks like a little disaster:

Steffi_vorne_zps3eb7875f.jpg

What else? I have to find another colour for the facepaint because in connection with the white make-up the grey one turns into ... blue or some kind of purple :~

And I must fix the wings in order to spot them at the right position.

I think thats it for the moment.

Please feel free to give me more constructive criticism

For now soccer has taken over ... :))

This is a very nice project. I'm no expert in the character but looking through your build really presents her. Thank you for that.

The only thing I can think of, apart from the things you've already mentioned, are the bicep wraps. In your most recent reference picture it seems they are wrapped slightly slanted. This, however, might be a case of difference in camera and arm position. I assume the slant might be difficult to recreate in a real life situation. Using elastics wraps might work and also make them as snug as your lower arm wraps. But I'm no textile expert so please feel free to disregard this as uneducated guesswork. :)

A picture from the same angle as the reference picture (slightly down and to your left) would give a nice view of the costume too.

I really enjoy these original builds on the TFE and yours is a fine example of it.

Keep it up! :)

Many thanks!

My desire was to stay as close as possible to the original :)

Being no dressmaker or tailor I came as quickly to my limits - with this projekt I first started using a sewing machine ;)

The only thing I can think of, apart from the things you've already mentioned, are the bicep wraps. In your most recent reference picture it seems they are wrapped slightly slanted. This, however, might be a case of difference in camera and arm position. I assume the slant might be difficult to recreate in a real life situation. Using elastics wraps might work and also make them as snug as your lower arm wraps. But I'm no textile expert so please feel free to disregard this as uneducated guesswork. :)

A picture from the same angle as the reference picture (slightly down and to your left) would give a nice view of the costume too.

I really enjoy these original builds on the TFE and yours is a fine example of it.

Keep it up! :)

I´ll try to sew single stripes aslant on a piece of fabric so it´ll look more like the wraps on the reference picture... it is not possible to do it with elastic fabric because of the colour. There was no chance to get elastic fabrics (jersey material) in the right colour and their mixture (synthetics) makes a coloration impossible... everywhere I searched for the right kind of fabrics there were only three different shades of red and they all did not harmonize with the ones I´ve choosen.

Thank you for this feedback, I´ll hope to finish my costume soon...

Hey! I actually understood a few of the textile-lingo there. :)

So this is your first time with a sewing machine. Impressive!

I still have an irrational fear of the machine. I need to overcome it for my A'Sharad Hett build. :)

Looking forward to see you all dressed up and ready for approval. :)

Hello again!
I´m still alive and furthermore interested in finishing the project "Naa'leth".
Sadly I found no solution for the problem with my wig.
So I need to find an other way out:
My Naa'leth will wear the hood
2014-03-13195944_zps72474b00.jpg
and fortunately I found someone willing to build it for me.
For that I coloured my fabrics into darker red and so my kitchen looks like a real witches´ laboratory :))
P1030273_zps444d6567.jpg

Meanwhile I got the chance to test my costume:
10665807_651512398302657_747915349914838
10600356_651516378302259_416853048453266

I´ll make corrections with the straps around the legs - I am not really happy with them for now.
And I´ll fix the jacket to the top so it can´t get out of place which so far resulted that wings and
the short sleeves doesn´t fit properly...
I´ll try to fix these things until 3rd of october - ´cause of my next appearence as Naa'leth at this
year´s Jedi-Con.

Bye for now!

That is actually a really nice costume you`ve done there.

I have had the Chance to inspect at a event and it was awesome.

Who is this really good looking and handsome Kashyyyk Trooper at the pic? :)):)):))

Uuhh.. so long without any new post :o

With working on the hood (got the best boyfriend of the world) I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This is what it looks like at the moment:
back_zpsbpxui3pe.jpg
and
DSC_0037_zpsttdvqdk9.jpg
with the up coming paint job to make it more realistic to the original the work will end up in april
- wish me luck :wink:

Additionally I worked on the neckpiece - sorry I have no pics in the moment.

In the meantime I had another guest troop:
Gruppenbild1_zps7c7cd161.jpg
(behind Darth Vader)