• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Talon Requirements Discussion

Guest Anonymous

Id have to say a no to the bikini and red boots. They are nothing like what Talon wears.

the longer leather boots are better, but what do you mean by adding a buckle?

OK. I made a list of all of the elements of the costume and tried to divide them into what I thought it Must have and what it Should have. Let me know what you all think...

Black bikini-style bottoms

This describes the bottoms, so which part are you talking about...

If the top is no good, then I'll need to work out something better, last costume I saw looked good, but the top piece didn't look all that good. I'm afraid it will end up look like something a friend, some armor he referred to as sh** mail.

The boots flop too easily, they need something to keep them up... Course the greaves and thigh armor may keep them up on their own...

Well there is this idea...

P8030215.JPG

Hi!

from the standards written out

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1030

the bikini bottoms need to be basic black knickers type bottoms with a high leg bikini cut. Im afraid from the ones youve shown the chain and studs wouldnt really be right for 501st standards.

example would be these bottoms

http://www.linefeed.de/images/TH701l.jpg

Best bet is when working on any EU costume is too really study the characters costume,and the requirements for it.

Take a print out of the costume with you when searching for component parts so you can compare the image to the item. That way you can see if the item your looking at would be accurate.

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I just wanted to add that maybe it can be made from rubber. It seems to say it must be leather in the descriptions. If I were to make it from rubber would it not be accepted then? :?

Hi, I just wanted to add that maybe it can be made from rubber. It seems to say it must be leather in the descriptions. If I were to make it from rubber would it not be accepted then? :?

If you want a truly "from the top" answer, Jan Duursema said that she pictures the costume to be made completely out of leather, but agrees that it might not be the most flexible of materials to use in real life... so she said that while she prefers the bikini and straps to be made of leather, she understands if we use something else for the arms and legs. Looking at it purely from a legion costuming standpoint, the acceptablity of a material in cases like this is more dependent on the final look than the name of the material. There are a lot of options out there, and the key is to find what looks right yet still allows the ability to move and not pass out. Yes, rubber would be fine for the pieces such as the leggings, bikini bottom, and gloves. I even looked into that option myself when I first started researching this costume. I decided against it because rubber is so blasted hot to wear, and the whole powdering and spray shine issue is made difficult by the fear of damaging hours worth of body paint. But still, if you can get around those problems, there's no reason why rubber isn't as good a material as anything else. Unless you had a very heavy grade of rubber, however, I don't see that being a good thing to use for the front of the bikini, the belt straps, etc. It would look far too flimsy and thin.

Pam :-)

Guest Sakara

If Jan sees it in Leather, id love to know what leather can be that tight fitting and be moveable lol

Perhaps a synthetic leather would work well as a substitute?

I know for the costume made for Elektra in the film Daredevil they went with a very stretchy synth leather for her so she could move and yet the costume could be tight on her.

I think Heidi thought the rubber would be good (me too) as say for the leggings they would stay up without constantly pulling them up as rubber would stick to the skin better.

Pam? Does silicone spray effect say the reel creations bodypaint?

It depends on the type of spray. If it is water based, then it shouldn't cause a problem. But many of them have an alcohol or oil base, both of which would break down the paint and let it be easily wiped off. My advice would be to do a spot test before spraying anything near a new paintjob!

Guest Sakara

It depends on the type of spray. If it is water based, then it shouldn't cause a problem. But many of them have an alcohol or oil base, both of which would break down the paint and let it be easily wiped off. My advice would be to do a spot test before spraying anything near a new paintjob!

good point!!

lol best silicone spray for latex anyway is the type you buy in sex shops hehe..and that luckily is all waterbased!..cos ahem...its not intended for ..um....latex.lol

Guest Anonymous

If you want a truly "from the top" answer, Jan Duursema said that she pictures the costume to be made completely out of leather, but agrees that it might not be the most flexible of materials to use in real life... so she said that while she prefers the bikini and straps to be made of leather, she understands if we use something else for the arms and legs. Looking at it purely from a legion costuming standpoint, the acceptablity of a material in cases like this is more dependent on the final look than the name of the material. There are a lot of options out there, and the key is to find what looks right yet still allows the ability to move and not pass out. Yes, rubber would be fine for the pieces such as the leggings, bikini bottom, and gloves. I even looked into that option myself when I first started researching this costume. I decided against it because rubber is so blasted hot to wear, and the whole powdering and spray shine issue is made difficult by the fear of damaging hours worth of body paint. But still, if you can get around those problems, there's no reason why rubber isn't as good a material as anything else. Unless you had a very heavy grade of rubber, however, I don't see that being a good thing to use for the front of the bikini, the belt straps, etc. It would look far too flimsy and thin.

Thanx for the info. I wanted Deogeo to ask the artist and confirm lol, good thing you know! I am sticking with rubber because it'll stay put, considering how much skin I'll have bare and the fact that I'm always bloody freezing, I'll be ok with the heat issue. I was thinking of using thick matte rubber parts glued over a latex base to get the effect so don't worry on that count :wink: I think the overall effect will look quite close to leather anyway :D

Guest Anonymous

Hello!

So I have been working on a Darth Talon costume, and I'm down to small details.

Like for example, her boots! Are there particular boots I should be purchasing?

I found a couple of them on ebay and I'd really like some guidance on which would be

suitable. I've already gone waaaay over my budget (surprise!) so I'd like to keep the

boots under a $100 if possible! I have included the links below this message!

Any help would be wonderful!

Thank you!!! :D

Lady Lekku

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWAX:IT

Good evening,

It helps to keep reference on hand before assembling a costume of a well defined character;

talonvendaxa2.jpg

If there is a single practical element to Darth Talon's attire is her standard combat heeled boots.

Switching spiked heels to match the character's attire was one of the few points that deferred the approval of the first Darth Talon to apply to the Legion.

You might try working from an ankle boot, and making a legging of a stretch leatherette fabric to span the leg--think Mara Jade jumpsuit material. The shin and thigh armour should help camouflage any seams.

As for cost, this is an expensive hobby. It is important to recognize most costumes in the Legion cost upward of $1000.00. Some save money working by hand. Then the cost is in years. Either way is fine. I prefer to think of the expense as tuition for an elective course.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

Hello!

Thank you for your input!

Actually, using a ankle boot and building on that is a pretty good idea if I can't find any

flat thigh high boots! I didn't think of that! I was hoping to find some cheaper boots online

since I (kinda, sorta) blew my costume budget for this year, lol. I totally invested about $935 on my Shaak ti costume this year and I still have a few more items I need to finish that up, lol. Hoping to get into the Rebel Legion with that one *crosses fingers*.

Thank you again for the idea!!

Have a good one!

Lady Lekku

Guest Anonymous

THOSE BOOTS ARE PERFECT!!!!!!

My costume is going to be made out of leather so those boots would totally work!!! They are pricey but perfect

and I really don't mind forking that much for those boots! Perhaps I should just wait until next year to work on Darth Talon.

At least my costuming budget will be reset since I've already almost spent $1000 on one costume this year :P

Thank you for the link!!!

Lady Lekku

You can actually get those boots in the UK. I'm going to be using them in rubber as thats what my entire Talon costume will be made of. If you're using leather however they also do them in that: http://www.pennangalan.co.uk/boots/FW76.php

Guest Anonymous
THOSE BOOTS ARE PERFECT!!!!!!

My costume is going to be made out of leather so those boots would totally work!!! They are pricey but perfect

and I really don't mind forking that much for those boots! Perhaps I should just wait until next year to work on Darth Talon.

At least my costuming budget will be reset since I've already almost spent $1000 on one costume this year :P

Thank you for the link!!!

Lady Lekku

You can actually get those boots in the UK. I'm going to be using them in rubber as thats what my entire Talon costume will be made of. If you're using leather however they also do them in that: http://www.pennangalan.co.uk/boots/FW76.php

I'm skint right now so mine is gonna be made over the course of next year anywway lol! Glad I could help...