• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nefthys' WIP Nihilus

Nefthys

I thought I would start posting a few photos of what I have completed so far. I seem to have misplaced my camera so I don't have pictures of the weathered robes. I did take pictures of the robes before I completed the weathering, so I have those below.

The full robes so far.

Robe1.jpg

Close up of the upper tunics with the obi with ugly camera flash. The fabric is no where near that shiny in real life.

Robe2.jpg

I also took a few photos of the mask sculpt in progress.... then proceeded to trip and break said mask. After a few moments of heart rendering tears, I picked up the pieces and started over. So I will post photos of the second mask once the camera is found.

Cheers,

Nef

Those look nice. What kind of material did you use? I never realized how Samurai the robes look without the weathering.

I used a type of fabric called Piano Weave. I really like it as it has a very hand woven feel to it, similar to the Jedi robes in the older movies. It also hangs very heavy which is nice and gives it great weight.

Awesome job with the robes Nef :)

How you going with your Nihilus mask ?

Thanks Nihilus! The first mask is in pieces, but the second one is coming along well. Let's hope I don't break this one before casting it.

Also, snack time just got better! Chocolate Chip Stormtrooper!

180121_10150406511980370_550525369_17245484_3732284_n.jpg

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Nihilus

Yummy! Chocolate Chip Stormtrooper :o

If you end up having trouble with your mask Nef, if you like I can give you the contact details for the bloke I brought mask of off.

*fingers crossed* you don't have any trouble :)

Good Day,

I thought I should post a little update on my progress so far. I have completed the belt, which was a daunting task for me. I am quite pleased with how it came out. I might go over with the black leather dye once more as it's not quite as black as it could be, but other then that it looks good.

The base sculpt for the mask is also complete. Just the sanding and painting to finish up. The hood is done, but I still have to attach the cloak to it.

I hope to have some more pictures taken this week so I can show some of my progress.

Cheers,

Nef

Just a couple quick photos for some of the work I've done.

The belt

P4100166.jpg

The start of the mask. Need to get a lot of sanding done on this still. Also need to add more definition to the nose area. A little too 'round' looking at the moment. But it's a start!

P4100168.jpg

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Nihilus

How did you go about doing the belt Nefth?

Could you tell me everything you did cause I still have to see about getting the belt for my costume when I get it in about 5 or 6 weeks. :)

How did you go about doing the belt Nefth?

Could you tell me everything you did cause I still have to see about getting the belt for my costume when I get it in about 5 or 6 weeks. :)

The belt was actually quite easy to make. The trick is buying the right sized belt blanks. You can usually buy belt blanks from any leather store. I got mine from Tandy Leather Factory. Get 2 belt blanks (the larger under one and the smaller top one) and get some black leather dye and dye them both black. Then I attached the metal belt buckle to the larger belt blank with a couple rivets. Next I put the belt on over top of my costume to get the right length and marked with a pen on the back side where i needed to punch a hole for the belt buckle to go through.

Once I had the right size for the belt and a hole punched I attached the smaller top belt. I just measured it to fit between the belt buckle and the punched hole. So the smaller one doesn't run the full length of the belt, it sits between the buckle and hole. I attached the smaller top belt blank with leather contact cement and let it dry a few minutes. Once that was done I measured where I wanted the black rivets to go. Always measure twice and cuts once! Make sure they line up where you want them. When I was happy with the measurements I punched holes where the black rivets needed to go. Then I screwed in all the rivets.

And it was done! The whole process took about an hour to do. I got all of my supplies at Tandy as well so it made it easy just doing one shopping trip.

Here is Tandy's website, you might have a store near you.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... /home.aspx

I hope that is helpful, feel free to ask any questions and I'll try and answer them as best as I can.

Cheers,

Nef

Thanks so much for your help Nefthy *hug* :)

No problem! I'm glad I could help. I'm trying to make the entire costume myself, so if you want to know how I've done anything I don't mind sharing.

Cheers,

Nef

Getting towards the end of my Nihilus build. Hope to be posting pictures of me in the full outfit soon. Just working on the hood and cape currently. Didn't quite get the look I wanted the first time around so I went back and redid the "cat ears" under the cloak. A couple pics of how it turned out.

Before I put the acrylic molding paste on.

hood1.jpg

After the acrylic molding paste is on. This stuff is great!

hood2.jpg

Once the acrylic is set I'll add the fabric and take a look at how it turned out! Here's hoping *fingers crossed*

Cheers,

Nef

I'd love to see some additional photos of the crown piece. :-) One from straight on looking at the face, one looking at it directly from the side , and one looking straight down at it from above.

From the current photo angles, it's hard to tell for sure, but I think there may be some adjustments needed

Guest Nihilus

Hey Nef could you send me info on all you have done to make your crown.. that is one part I am still not 100% sure about.. I like how yours is coming out. :D

Hey Nef could you send me info on all you have done to make your crown.. that is one part I am still not 100% sure about.. I like how yours is coming out. :D

Sure!

The very first thing I did was measure the KOTOR Art work of Nihilus for the measurements of his hood (or "cat ears") in relation to his mask. I measured the point across the eyes of the mask and then the end points of his hood and found the hood is 76% larger. Then I measured my mask across the eyes and made that number 76% wider. That left me with exactly how wide the main width of the hood needed to be.

To make the hood I used one of those super cheap plastic bowler hats from a costume shop. I cut the brim off of it to have just a smooth round top. I then took chicken wire and made small holes in the bowler hat and attached the chicken wire to the bowler hat with small wire loops. The chicken wire bends into any shape really easily. I measured the chicken wire before hand to make sure it was the width I needed to make the correct width for the "cat ears". I reinforced the chicken wire with cardboard to help hold the shape. Then I taped the heck outta all of it to secure it even more to the bowler hat. You can see in the first picture this is the step I have just completed.

With that done I wanted to make sure it was hard and keep it's shape. For this I put on a thick layer of Acrylic Molding Paste. That is the second photo. I've even included in the picture on the table the jar of molding paste I used from Golden. Then let it dry over night. I left the underside uncovered so I have access to the chicken wire underneath. This will allow me to sew the fabric cloak to it.

Hope that helps! All the supplies for the hood cost me about $40.00, so it's not too pricey to make it this way.

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Anonymous
I thought I would start posting a few photos of what I have completed so far. I seem to have misplaced my camera so I don't have pictures of the weathered robes. I did take pictures of the robes before I completed the weathering, so I have those below.

The full robes so far.

Robe1.jpg

Close up of the upper tunics with the obi with ugly camera flash. The fabric is no where near that shiny in real life.

Robe2.jpg

I also took a few photos of the mask sculpt in progress.... then proceeded to trip and break said mask. After a few moments of heart rendering tears, I picked up the pieces and started over. So I will post photos of the second mask once the camera is found.

Cheers,

Nef

there is a specific material for construction the costume? I have many doubts for chose there :(

there is a specific material for construction the costume? I have many doubts for chose there :(

Hi Okrim,

There are a few choices for fabric I've noticed while looking around at other Nihilus' costumes. I personally chose the Piano Weave Light Linen fabric for mine. The second photo of my robes is pretty bad with the camera flash, the fabric is not shiny at all in real life. Quite a few other people have chosen Crinkle Cotton or Raw Silk for Nihilus. It comes down to personal choice on what you want to use. Piano Weave Linen and Raw Silk are more costly fabrics to use, but they look excellent and move very nicely for the costume. Crinkle Cotton still moves well but it's not quite as heavy a weight as the others so doesn't hang as nicely, however it is much cheaper. Crinkle Cotton still works if you have a smaller budget for the costume. Hope this helps a little bit!

Cheers,

Nef

actually cotton is more expensive at the moment than the raw silk http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/8 ... _silk.html for a good source, it's where Pam and I got our fabric for our husband's Nihilus's

^_^ Katie

Nooo! Don't tempt me with such delightful links! I have far too much fabric right now, and yet I still keep buying more for "future" projects.

Thank you for the update however! I was simply going off the prices at my local fabric store. They charge far too much for some fabrics, like raw silk.

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Aysel
actually cotton is more expensive at the moment than the raw silk http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/8 ... _silk.html for a good source, it's where Pam and I got our fabric for our husband's Nihilus's

^_^ Katie

Nooo! Don't tempt me with such delightful links! I have far too much fabric right now, and yet I still keep buying more for "future" projects.

Thank you for the update however! I was simply going off the prices at my local fabric store. They charge far too much for some fabrics, like raw silk.

Cheers,

Nef

teehee ^_^ but seriously that's a good source of black raw silk (or natural/white) it's a fantastic price and they ship fast ^_^

Guest Anonymous

^_^ Katie

Cheers,

Nef

Thank's

I think will use this http://www.tessuti.com/Tessuti/Tessuti- ... 377&p=1377

color black

now whit your tip i have more doubt :shock: what do you think?

Guest Aysel

have you bought that yet? if you haven't bought that yet, you can call dharma trading company and ask them how much it would be to ship the silk to your location. I ask cause I don't think that the poplin is a good choice, it tends to be stiff and you want a free flowing fabric. If the shipping is too much, keep looking around, you'll probably be able to find a better fabric.

^_^ Katie