• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Tunic Weathering Advice

Nefthys

Hello!

I've been putting together my Darth Nihilus COTF version and I am coming up to the point were I need to weather and roughen up the fabric on the costume. Fraying the edges is easily done, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on weathering the fabric in general to look old and worn. Right now everything looks too new and shiny. I want to get that 'over worn' look to the fabric the same way faded jeans look old. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Nef

have you washed the fabric yet? if not you should, it'll take the factory sizing out. Get a pumice stone or sand paper and use that on the fabric to give a more rougher look. We actually used a cat hair brush to fray the edges and up the skirts of Volund's Nihilus (SL 6132) and it worked out really well. ^_^

^_^ Katie

I have washed it which helped a bit. I shall definitely take some sandpaper too it this weekend. Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Anonymous

The foundation of my house is fieldstone, so it's all rough and rocky. I scraped my Nihilus parts along the walls to fray them a bit.

I also used 60 grit sandpaper in a bunch of spots.

And played tug of war with my cats.

I had fun making that costume!!

Well my Nihilus is looking wonderfully tattered. Thank you for all the advice! Also discovered that Ben Nye fake dirt works very well as a fading tool. I'll try post some pictures of the before and after.

Cheers,

Nef