• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus WIP - need advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

I've started working on my Nihilus several weeks ago and got the two tunics as well as both skirts. I've already bought boots and gloves and I'm working on the mask... even though I'm not sure if I'm on the right way

Here is what I've got and it would be really helpful to get some opinions on my work so far.

Please notice that I've used my Jedi belt for the pictures :oops: I'm working on the right one, just needed something to hold everything together. It's also too far up my waist, I'll put the other one further down.

I also haven't started on the weathering, I want to finish the cape before.

th_nihilus4_cropped.jpg

th_nihilus3_cropped.jpg

th_nihilus2.jpg

th_nihilus1.jpg

and that's what my mask currently looks like. the middlepiece is still missing, just wanted to know if the basic shape is correct, before I continue

th_nihilusmask2.jpg

th_nihilusmask1.jpg

when you cross the tunics they both cross the same way, so when you take your final pictures make sure they are right. The lengths of everything look good so when you start weathering it won't be too short. I can't speak for the mask it looks right to my eyes (at least the shape of it), but you'll want to wait to hear back from the guys that have their heads in Nihilus all the time.

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Thank you guys! I'm relieved that the tunics/skirts are ok. Still have to improve the mask and think about how I'm gonna do the crown.

@Aysel I'm not sure what you mean with the tunics crossing the same way. I think I did it like that.

Since it's all really dark, I tried to highlight it:

th_tunics_crossing.jpg

tunics.jpg

If I'm wrong, please tell me and I'll change it :)

@Scottrooper my main issue with the mask are the proportions. I think I'll still have to shorten it and make the eyeholes bigger

Here two pictures:

mask2-1.jpg

mask1-1.jpg

And this is what I think I still have to do, but since I haven't finished the crown yet, I'm careful with cutting it down.

mask3.jpg

Any advice is welcome :)

You've got it, when I looked at it my eyes were tired, appologies ^_^ As for your mask the lines you drew to were you want to trim look to match the art better than what you currently have going on. ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

no problem, I'm happy about every comment I get :)

and thank you for your opinion about the mask. it's the very first mask I'm doing so it's really new to me. will try to work on it this week, so that I can finally add the middlepiece :D

Guest Anonymous

I know it's been a long time since I posted here, but I'm still working on the costume. It's been quite busy so I'm only making slow progress, but at least it is progress :D

First of all I got a belt now:

th_2_fullbody.jpg

And I continued working on my mask. There's still a piece missing, but I think I'm on the right way:

th_5_maskmp.jpg th_6_maskmp.jpg

Click on the images to enlarge ;)

Any comment is appreciated :)

Guest Anonymous

A few weeks ago I got my blackout mask. I think it looks great and it certainly fulfills its purpose :D

th_CIMG2647.jpg

Other than that I nearly finished the mold for a mask. Hopefully I'll soon be able to finish my mask ;)

Your mask is looking very good! The mask is the one part of the costume I've been having trouble with. May I ask how you made yours?

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Anonymous

thank you :)

@Pam I really hope it has the right proportions and as soon as it's finished and I've tested it with my crown, I'll post photos :)

@Nefthys I'm worried about the crown and the cape :|

I did my mask using modelling clay (I hope that's the right word). First of all my sister created a basic form using PVC which I covered with modelling clay.

Back then it looked like that: PIC 1

When I had enough modelling clay on it, I removed the PVC and added more layers of modelling clay, until it looked like this PIC 2

You can probably imagine that it was a lot of work to get the final product :P I think I started the mask half a year ago ^^

The only problem is that it's quite heavy so I had to decide to do a cast ;)

Guest Sarah1968
A few weeks ago I got my blackout mask. I think it looks great and it certainly fulfills its purpose :D

th_CIMG2647.jpg

Other than that I nearly finished the mold for a mask. Hopefully I'll soon be able to finish my mask ;)

Roddy, can you share where you got your blackout mask from? I'd appreciate your advice.

Looking good so far :D

Regards

Sez.

Guest Anonymous

@Sarah1968 thank you :)

I got my mask on ebay Germany from a shop called beckerservices (I hope it's ok to write the name). It costed about 17 Euro.

Guest Anonymous

I've now "finished" my costume! With "finished" I mean, that I still want to work a bit on the weathering, but all in all, I'm quite happy of how it turned out.

th_nihilus3.jpg th_nihilus2-1.jpg

I still have to send my application, but I'm planning to do that in the next few days.

Guest Aysel

Before you submit, post your submission pics here so you can get a review before to send them in. That way if there's anything that needs to be tweaked you can get it taken care of.

^_^ Katie