• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

MOTHER TALZIN WIP

romero4444

Just got the latex "Alien Dome" in the mail yesterday. Going to trim the forehead out of it and do some finishing touches on the base of her headdress this weekend. I should be able to start on adding the cloth to it next week. Does anyone know of a place online that I can buy more professional "spirit gum" glue and liquid latex for her forehead piece? We are going to have to do that every time she troops in the costume, and I don't think the off the shelf stuff you buy from a Halloween store will hold up. :wink:

Definitely stay away from spirit gum... that's the cheap and dirty product that tends to dry up and flake off long before a day of trooping is over!

I'd recommend a better product such as Pros-Aide; it's professional grade stuff that works really well!

Pam :-)

This weekend I finished closing the piece of plastic around the headdress base.

2012-02-17142756.jpg

Then after taking this photo, I sewed the edges of this piece of fabric, so it will not unravel on her head, lol. My first ever experience with a sewing machine. Images to come.

2012-02-19220609.jpg

Guest Anonymous

That looks like a REALLY thick bottom edge to the appliance. Generally they would be feathered out until they were nearly transparent.

Blending an edge like that is going to be challenging.

Yes, I was very upset when I got the mask. But this is a better answer than what I had in mind originally....I was stuck.

Lol Does anyone have an answer to how thick this edge is? Most of her eye line is black, maybe it will disappear rather quickly?

Could this line that happens when she talks during the episodes help us with any problems blending we have come submission time? She appears to have it whenever she lifts her eyebrows or speaks.

Talzin-Monster-1.jpg

That is about where our edge will be on Lisa's forehead.

I would say use that as a guide. Since there is a line there. Try to trim the edge of the appliance as well as you can to minimize the gigantic edge you have now and when you go to blend the edge in you won't have to make it totally disappear. ^_^

^_^ Katie

Laid down base color on forehead extension and started testing different wraps for the ring. This is Christmas ribbon, too bright. I am having trouble with the fabric wrapping around that tight ring, it seems to bunch up and not lay flat....

2012-03-05233609.jpg

I have a sewing question: :oops:

I need to make a hem that is arched around and down from the tip of her fake forehead under the "ribbon" that holds the ring, to about the middle of her cheeks. To match how the cloth follows her face in the cartoon. When I try to just curl it under itself to try and force a arch, it stretches and makes too many pleats and folds that do not look like the cartoon. From each tip around the back it lays correctly, but I can't make it arch right upfront. Here is an example, and then my work so far....

Talzin-Monster-2.jpg

headdress1.jpg

Any help here would be hot.*

*Remember, this is will be only my second time ever to sew freehand or on the sewing machine...I'm learning as I go. :oops:

Guest Aysel

look up sewing curves, cause it's hard to explain without pictures, also you might loo into a blind hem for that, you might have better luck with the shape

^_^ Katie

Because there is a little bit of depth to the fabric around her face, you could get away with sewing wire into the hem. That way you can bend it to the shape you want. I use a lot of wire for oddly shaped fabric pieces I need to sit a certain way.

Or, you could buy or make a balaclava type head piece that sits tight to your head. Get an open face one that stops at the ears (but still covers the ears). Then you can stitch the fabric to the balaclava and have it follow the natural curve of the side of your face.

Hope either of those ideas help. I do a lot of sewing and I know how frustrating it can be when fabric doesn't do what you want it to do.

Cheers,

Nef

Thanks Katie and Nef, I will try all the above with some drops of cloth I have to see with one works best.

On to a 501st question, our CO just posted this on our boards from the Legion. I was wondering if this will affect how I need to make up Lisa's face and hands for this costume. It sounds like it only applies to clones, but what do you guys think? Will I need to make a nose and chin extension in order to make it look more cartoon like? I was going to make finger extensions anyway, but was not sure about the face appliances.

On the heels of the Clone Wars 3D series there have been some Legion decisions on “realistic interpretations of clone costumes vs. Cartoon interpretations.” In order to bring the clone/cartoon costumes in line with the strict attention to detail and the high standards of the DSG, some changes to the CRL and the requirements for these cartoon costumes.

Per the Legion:

Effective May 31 2012, the Legion will no longer be approving any new realistic interpretations of characters from the Clone Wars.

This grace period allows those troopers who are working on costumes to finish them up and get them approved before the cutoff. We do not want to disrupt existing builds or cause members to waste their hard earned money because of a standards change.

Starting June 1 2012, only clones wearing armor, helmets and accessories consistent with the reference materials for their costumes will be approved.

This does NOT impact anyone who is already approved.

Approved costumes will remain in our roster until such time as the members retire them on their own. We have no desire to remove anyone from our ranks, we just want to conform to a consistent rule for all costumes going forward.

Members: Please alert the GML if you have a work-in-progress realistic Clone Wars clone.

I know this will upset some of you, but we are confident that this is the most fair way to do things. We don't want one costume class to have leeway granted to it that is not shared by all of the other costumes in the Legion.

Here are some new pics of my current process on the headdress. I know it may not look like much has been done, but if you only knew how many times my heart was in my throat as I trimmed off the extra from the bottom before I sewed it up, you would understand. I have been going slow and steady... :wink: What do you guys think?

2012-05-01222220.jpg

2012-05-01222351.jpg

2012-05-01222409.jpg

2012-05-01222451.jpg