• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

MOTHER TALZIN WIP

romero4444

And here is one taken from my TV with my phone camera that I was using for reference. Just to show I'm not trying to pull one over anybody. :) It seems to depend on what she was doing in the show. If she raises her hands up they raise up obviously, but it's hard to accomplish in the real word. Thanks DarthTagion!

2012-09-17221146.jpg

Haha, and that's why source material is all about having multiple shots. I think you have a nice happy medium there. With the angle you take the overall width of the costume down a few inches and you'll have an easier time with hallways and doors.

I'm no pro on the rest of the details but I'd be happy to do a side-by-side unless Pam would prefer to.

From an initial glance I'd say it's probably ready for the FITL thread (pretty sure this is a first isn't it?).

Thanks, yes there is one other submitted Mother T in the works but I don't know who she is or what it looks like, there's no WIP for it here. It's a matter of who gets in first at this point. I submitted the costume yesterday, let's keep our fingers crossed! :wink:

You're in a world-wide costuming group of Star Wars fans that nit-picks subtle strapping patterns for texture.

I don't think we know the meaning of "too much".

And that's okay... We're Sith.

:wink:

Guest muppet

This is an amazing costume.

Im worried about the length of the train and side wraps.

Not only for safety but in the reference images, they dont appear to be that long?

Thanks, if you look at these pics I took from the blu-ray on my TV you will see where I came up with the length. We did a test run at a library here for May the 4th, and the only concern was she needed to walk forward, and turn around to stand in place. The children came to her, while she didn't move. Seemed to work out fine. :lol:

2012-09-17223837.jpg

2012-09-17223717.jpg

2012-09-17223837.jpg

2012-09-17231940.jpg

006-3_zpsbd330d5b-1_zps9e6b9dd3.jpg

Here are pics from the troop before we adjusted the shoulder blades...the children were excited to see her and also very respectful of the trains and the costume in general. :D

197766_10151559468818186_1814740540_n_zpsb8850483.jpg

525382_10151559468823186_497053605_n_zps83fa6200.jpg

486806_10151559468918186_1734650942_n_zps06d64c0e.jpg

That is really cool, I think you did the right thing with both the trains and the shoulders.

Very cool that the kids were on-board and respectful. I've had a few times kids were trouble so I'd certainly encourage a Handler just to help with that if at all possible. Otherwise, very neat. I've done a fair share of pivot/pose troops myself and it certainly prevents running people over/tripping.

Guest muppet

mother_zps26de10a9.jpg

Looking at the train, it might be pretty much spot on in length, when it hangs straight down, instead of tapering off.

Looking at the right picture, the sides look a lot shorter,

Yes, I see what your saying. I had Lisa step forward so you could see behind it, making sure all parts were visible for the app photos. Can the sides be shortened without ruining the stenciling I did, or do I need to make whole new side trains? The stenciling is correct as is, if I shorten them the last design will be flawed. :(

Just doing a point to point reference, the "bottle" on the side train (Imagine it like a sport bottle for this reference), the bottle cap looks to be about at the calf, maybe where the top of an officer boot would sit. I think if the costumer were taller (I'm thinking stilts) it would sit at the right height.

I'm wondering what material you can pull "into" (and hide at) the waist, that seems to be the top of that fabric, in order to raise the patterns, because the patterns near her feet are up on the leg in the source image.

This is just a serious point to point comparison here, you've clearly nailed the pattern and the details, the matching of it to the model is the only difference here.

Additionally: If you can find other source materials with similar shots, perhaps you might find images to justify a longer length which would minimize the amount of change needed As it's a CGI character instead of a physical costume, you might be able to find a degree of variation.

Unfortunately, Lisa has leg problems and Vertigo with would prohibit her from wearing stilts. I also can't bring the fabric up, because the other patterns on the side pieces have to line up with the designs on the back train in a specific way. So I don't know of a way to remedy the situation other than just cutting the bottom of the side trains off at about the right length. I only have one or two pics of the bluray with her walking away from camera, dragging the sides behind her, and the Whole planet is red, making it hard to clarify the length, shot to shot. I know how animators sometimes fudge things, it makes it hard to get a good reference on certain areas of costumes. :oops:

2012-11-02092440.jpg

2012-10-29064343-1.jpg

This last one has her walking away in a cave, less red but it's right before a camera angle change; so I don't know if it helps my case. lol

2012-10-29065157.jpg

Guest muppet

If you're happy with it how it is now, im happy to approve it as it is now.

Then down the track, you could possible make new sides?

You could then have 2 versions- one for comfortable for trooping?

That works for me, thanks! I've been stuck in the Mother Talzin hole for so long, it would be good to get outside for the summer... :roll: I will start on the new sides soon, I want to start my Rex phase 2; Brian's helmet has been staring at me in my work shop for months now. lol

I will be happy to help any future questions on this costume, I have plenty of reference photos now. A full binder as a matter of fact. :wink: Lisa may be the one officially in the Flagship because of the costume, but I will remain active over here, no worries. Thanks again! YAY!!

Guest muppet

cool man, you guys are coming out of your summer, we're just coming into our winter, I love the cold.

Will post the approval now.

Yay! A happy ending! I wasn't trying to be a downer on the last post, just trying to come up with ideas! Happy for you guys!