• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Grand Inquisitor Helmet

fleasome

Just curious if anyone has been able to make a helmet that fits with the armor around the neck. I have been playing with the 3d helmet I bought a while back on Armorsmith and cannot get anything sized that looks normal.

If I make the helmet big enough to get on and off it doesn't fit within the neck piece.  
Also, if I get the eye visor area actually in front of my eyes then the chin area is way too low. 

I have experimented with resizing just the x, y, z axis independently but still cannot find a combination that really looks right. I have not seen anyone cosplay with the helmet yet so was curious if anyone had made it work.

Thanks

ltB92Sm.png

0mzpw8h.png

I don’t remember exactly how I scaled mine, but kinda have to compromise a bit. My helmet is just wide enough that I can fit my head (with mask) through. I didn’t even try to get it to fit into the neck armor, instead my helmet pretty much rests on top of my neck armor, I don’t even have any padding in my helmet since the neck holds it in place. I made sure the visor aligned with my eyes, which as you said made the chin a bit short as you can see in the pictures. I don’t wear the helmet with my costume too often, so it doesn’t really bother me.

I’d rather have a little bit of the chin sticking out than have the whole thing look like a bobblehead.

hope this helps!

MYO66Uv - Imgur.jpg

Edited by Mono

I am the new V2 crl for doing the helmeted version and I will say the helmet is a challenge. Where did you get your model from? The issue I had was the model I got wasn't even scaled for a human, it was scaled for an action figure. And I had the same issues you're having with scaling to fit over your head and mate with the neck. From your picture it appears you're scaling is skewed in the Z direction making it more short and wide when ideally it should be more tall and skinny. Could be ok if it is all proportional. What I had to do was scale it so it was the height of my head, and proportionally in the X and Y directions. This helmet is goofy because at proper scale the neck hole will not fit over your head. I needed to cut the back of the helmet off in order to make it go on and off my head. This is the same way a clone helmet gets put together. I will update my build thread now that the crl is being finalized but what I have said is mostly detailed there already. Once it is made and you're wearing it, it will fit right inside the neck of the armor, and no there is not going to be any neck movement after that. But that is technically accurate... In your picture it's looking like your neck is going to be too small as well. Keep in mind the neck opening in the front needs to be able to fit around your own neck so you can get it on.

First off, again thanks for both your replies. For some reason I'm not getting any notifications at all when people reply to my posts even though all the correct options are checked. So I just noticed today when I refreshed my WIP thread that Dan had replied to that and then I searched this and the CRL thread and saw a ton of updates from a few weeks back.

JMSProps on Jul 3, 2019 off of Etsy is who I bought my armor files from. They were recommended back here when I started the project back in 2019. It has been a long project due to many reasons and I hadn't even bought my 3D printer yet when I got them. Then I had to have the armor cut a bit by another 501st member in town and fought to get everything printed....and well, life.

I have done numerous adjustments in Armorsmith and can never seem to see at all how the helmet will come close to fitting. JMSProps actually had a 'realistic' and a 'cartoon' helmet. Realistic one compensated more for the non egg-head shape. But with the small neck opening, my small neck, and other factors like my giant nose the helmet may just not be a possibility for me. It is such a cool looking helmet. I have printed various pieces as just base rims where I size it up, and then just print a 1mm rim of where my head will go in or other versions in small trial modes just to see if I can even get that over my head and fit on or in the neck area and just cannot seem to get anything that seems like it would work.

Thanks but think I will take a break on that for a bit unless I come up with some other 'light bulb moment'.

Lee