• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

~Elyon's Asajj Ventress AOTC concept

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all! :D

I'm Madelon and live in Holland. I'm working on my Asajj Ventress AOTC now for several months and thought it was time to set the dots on the i, as we say here.

Thomas has given me this link so I thought maybe it can help me. Maybe 'you' can help me further with my costume.

So this is how the costume now looks.

asajj01.jpg

http://everyoneweb.com/WA/DataFileselyon/facts001.jpg

I have made a new buckle:

asajjbuckle03.jpg

And a new collar to:

collarelyon02.jpg

What do you think I can improve more so I can get myself approved at the 501st?

Oh and I will post some pictures from the total costume soon. (without the bald cap on)

My plans for the future are to make a cloak and overskirt for the costume too. But first the 'basic' costume :)

Thanks for the help! :D:D

Greets,

~Elyon

Madelon

Well, for a start, you're smiling WAY too much for Asajj!! ;):D

I've not finished my Asajj yet, and you're way ahead of me - so I dont know if I'm qualified to say anything about the rest of it!

Guest Daritha

I'm not an Ventress expert either but your costume looks good to me. You passed the noob test.

Your belt buckle looks very good and you even have the right lightsabers! (You often just see Ventress' with Vader's saber or Dooku's.) Your stature fits Ventress's snake-like body very good. So, I think anything to critizise are just details.

Maybe she saw Obi-Wan? *spread gossip*

Guest Anonymous

:lol: I am a very happy person :D

@Daritha:

Well, I wanted to use FX lightsabers from Dooku too, but they are expensive! :cry:

So I got a link from a friend of mine from an American company who makes lightsabers. They don't make FX cause of the copyrights but this one came very close with the shape of Asajj's. So I ordered them, got some foam like material for the black parts and this was the result! :D

Thanks guys for the positive reactions! :D:D

Guest Anonymous

As promised, the pictures from my complete costume with new collar and new buckle:

ElyonAsajj001.jpg

ElyonAsajj002.jpg

ElyonAsajj003.jpg

With my most angry/serious look :P

I'm such a smiley person naturally, that I have trouble sometimes with the angry Asajj visage too LOL

This is really coming along well. However, one thing you're going to have to address is the outer edges of the collar - they should be connected to the shirt in some way and not hang loosely.

Looking good 8)

It is looking nice, the neck/shoulder armour is better sized now. I like the gauntlets they look really good.

Two suggestions.

1. The shirt seems a little large, as the standards say to be fitted.

Shirt:

*The form-fitting shirt must have long sleeves.

* The shirt should be made of a non-glossy (matte) stretch material.

* The center front of the shirt, the shoulders, the back, and the sleeves are pale gray.

* The side panels beneath the arms should be darker gray or black in color.

* Horizontal line patterns may be designed into the shirt.

You might bring in the arms some and for the middle part you could try what I did with elastic clips to keep it in place documented in my thread: http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum ... 88&start=0

2. On the buckle, you'd probably want to check with Thomas for specifics on that. It seems a little small, but might be alright.

What kind of boots do you have? I can't really see them in the pictures. Happy to help if I can.

Good luck with it. :)

Guest Anonymous
Well, I wanted to use FX lightsabers from Dooku too, but they are expensive! :cry:

So I got a link from a friend of mine from an American company who makes lightsabers. They don't make FX cause of the copyrights but this one came very close with the shape of Asajj's. So I ordered them, got some foam like material for the black parts and this was the result! :D

How about these Hasbro made: http://www.toy-palace.com/product_info. ... 0110d9007f

The Hasbro FX Sabers do look really nice. I'd like to see how they connect.

One word of caution. If they are similarly proportioned to the FX Dooku, which I have, they are a little thick around, and may be large, especially in smaller hands.

This is a photo of my resin saber, that I believe is the movie scale, and the Hasbro FX one.

DookuSabers.jpg

Elyon the costume is developing well. Good luck with final refinements to get it 501st approved.

Guest Anonymous

I have two of the Force FX sabers (Episode IV Luke and Mace Windu) and they are rather large around. I don't have trouble gripping it with both hands, but I do find it chunky with just one hand. I have smaller hands.

That being said, I'll probably end up getting two of the Asajj Hasbro sabers. :P

Guest Daritha

Thanks guys for the positive reactions! :D:D

What's the point in being mean to someone who's trying? And beside: Your Ventress looks very good. I think there's nothing (or just a little tiny bit) to complain. ^^

Guest Anonymous

Wow guys! I didn't expected so much answers on one day haha! :wink: But I must say, it does help me. :D

@ Lady B: About the shirt.. The problem is my weight.. I keep lose in weight. :cry: Cause I have made an Aayla Secura 2 years ago and wore it again last year and it was 4!! sizes to big :o:o

As you can also see in oktober last year it sat well (at least I think.. :roll: ):

http://everyoneweb.com/WA/DataFileselyon/facts001.jpg

And now its to big again. :x

For that problem I've made a zipper on the side to take it in, and that helped a lot already. But I'm going to make a nappy?! like thing http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/galle ... m=8&pos=37

So it keep staying straight into my skirt and around my body. I hope that fix the problem totally.

And with the arms... Don't know what to do at that. The material is a bit stretch but it's now already so small that my hand just fits into the sleeve to get it on.

Nice to be so slim :?

These are my boots:

ElyonAsajjBoots.jpg

But I'm not happy with them. Although there aren't standards (?) for them I want other boots, or remake these, with more straps on them. Like on the doll version. I makes Asajj more kick-ass, as you know what I mean :wink::D

@ Kathgruben: I still find this a problem. I'm thinking to make it onto my shirt with velcro or duck tape or something?

@ TI-9827: WOW! :shock: They look amazing :o That's defenitly something for the future :D Although, I'm still happy with the ones I have now cause there I got 2 for € 100,- :P

Thanks again for al the answers :D:P (I'll just keep saying that cause I appreciate it that you spent time in reading and aswering my topic :P )

Best wishes,

~Elyon

Madelon

As you have discovered, the members of this forum really do like to help their fellow costumers! :D

I agree, try to make the shirt more form-fitting if at all possible. Maybe it just needs to be taken in a bit all along the side seams and under the arms for the sleeves? To keep the shirt tucked in, you could use buttons, snaps or velcro to attach it to your leggings. My "shirt" is actually a body suit made from a stretchy fabric to keep it from puckering or pulling out of the skirt as I move around.

For the collar or neck piece, mine is actually sewn to the shirt along the outside edge. I'm not sure what the other ladies have done, but this worked best for me. Whatever you decide, you will want to use something that runs continuously all along the outer edge so that you don't end up with the shirt fabric pulling strangely in only a few places because that's where the velcro is. Honestly, I found the collar to be the most difficult part to make, and fit correctly. :roll:

For the collar or neck piece, mine is actually sewn to the shirt along the outside edge. I'm not sure what the other ladies have done, but this worked best for me.:

We sewed it to the shirt too. The neck armour was indeed the trickiest part of the costume.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, today I had a free day of work so I thought: "ASAJJ TIME!!" :D

I've been busy with the nappy for the shirt and it worked out very well as I say it myself.

It doesn't look very sexy at this way :roll: , but normally there's a skirt over it afcorse. It does help to keep the shirt into the skirt :D:D PROBLEM SOLVED I would say? And as I have seen the doll version also has this idea. :idea:

ElyonAsajjShirt.jpg

~Elyon

The "nappy" comments in this thread keep giving me the giggles! Here, nappy refers to a person's hair texture... which I find amusing in a thread about a bald character!

This is another costume that is definitely improving. The fit of the shirt looks much better now... and if you can master that ever-difficult neck piece, I think your costume will look terrific. That piece is definitely a big challenge for the Asajj costumers!

Nice work.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

After 6 collars since I've begun my Asajj I'm getting more and more depressed.. :cry:

It just doesn't work with me :cry: I don't want to make the collar that's hanging over the shoulders but the collar from the doll version. But when I try it on it's to big over the shoulders, and when that's ok, its to short on the breast for me.

I've tryed to take it in on the shoulders but that's harder then I expected..

The fun is now completely away, and in stead of finish it in march I postponed(?) it to august.. :evil:

I really do not hope that it will take so long but we will see :(

Guest Anonymous

How are you doing your pattern for the collar? For the two version I'm working on I've used duct tape over a base. Either cloth or plastic wrap work well. After that I mark where the seams should be and cut it up to make individual pattern sections. Hope that helps.

Lisa

hun i know this feeling, ive had it many times creating a costume.

Put the costume aside....take a breather from it. Find something else to stoke the creative juices and then come back to it when you feel ready.

Or throw the costume around the sewing room....ive done both. (the throwing technique worked on my tougher costumes....i wouldnt recommend it on anything flimsy.)

Guest Anonymous

I thrown it around, on the floor, screamed and ask the thing why it doesn't go the way I want and then walked away. :P

My mom was so nice to say that everything will come alright and that we keep trying untill it fits perfectly. But on that moment it didn't matter :evil:

I have 2 other costumes I'm busy with (Shaak Ti & kind of catwoman[Anime style]) so my creative thoughts are with them at the moment.

I will take all of your methods to the drawing table and try everything. Hope one way will work out for me.

I'm making a model from paper, but now I'm going to use the old model and glue, sew and duck tape it as I want. And from that example I'm going to make a new model. At least, I hope it works as easy as it sounds :roll:

Thanks for the support :cry::)

Hope to make progress in a couple of days :)

And I wil let you know what works out the best for me.

~Elyon

Madelon

Guest Anonymous

With a lot of cutting and duck tape I have found the best way for me of making the right collar. We also found out that the front was longer then the back although the stripes were the same sizes. So, to make the front and back the same length we have to smuggle with the stripes on the back.

My mom and I took the old model and cutted into the right shape. Then we filled in the cutted pieces with drawing paper.

After the whole model was correct in shape we duck taped the whole collar and have measured the stripes out.

And this is how it looks:

collarelyon03.jpg

collarelyon04.jpg

colarelyon05.jpg

When I've made the collar from leather, I'm going to use small pieces of velcro on the sides of my back and breast to keep it attached to my shirt entirely.

Any suggestions? :D

~Elyon

Guest Anonymous

That looks great! I'm not sure what you mean by small pieces to keep it attached though. Do you mean some velcro or snap spots? I've tried using velcro spots myself and it worked.. sort of. But small sections tended to stick up here and there around the shoulders. I ended up pinning it in place then sewing it completely to the shirt.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see it finished.

Guest Anonymous
That looks great! I'm not sure what you mean by small pieces to keep it attached though. Do you mean some velcro or snap spots? I've tried using velcro spots myself and it worked.. sort of. But small sections tended to stick up here and there around the shoulders. I ended up pinning it in place then sewing it completely to the shirt.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see it finished.

I indeed mentioned velcro. Forgot to type the word :oops::wink:

Thanks for your comment :D