• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

The Emperor's Hand com costume - the robe and brown leather

Guest Sakara

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen three girls do this costume so far, and I know we've discussed it here on the boards... but I can't remember if it was in a public thread or via PM's. I get so many PM's and read so many posts that everything tends to blur together after a while! There was a girl who had made the costume with a very satin-look fabric, and one who wanted to do that particular costume since she had scars on her arms and wanted to cover them, but still wanted to do a Mara costume.

My favorite sighting ever for this costume was a girl at Celebration III. She was pregnant, so she kept doing the "But my baby!" line from the comics whenever someone recognized the costume. It was great!

I've talked about this costume and the references/chances for approval before, but it's been a while and darned if I can remember the details anymore!

Pam :-)

Ah nice one..its just one of the Mara costumes i really like, and when i saw the wizard miniature i wondered if there was a 3rd reference for this one.

Guest Anonymous

My wife really would like to do a Mara Jade too and this style is right up here alley. It's a very classy look for Mara.

Guest Anonymous

I have actually been working on this costume. I've been wanting to do this outfit of hers since I got the mini at a local comic shop. I hadn't remembered it being in the comic since I hadn't read that one in years. It's one of my favorites that I've been putting off until my husband basically sat me down and said "You do this now or I'm burning it." I'll post pictures when I'm finished, though I've been keeping track of my progress if anyone is interested.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I'm a newbie to the board and I'll be attempting to make this costume for a friend. I'm very conflicted about the way the whole outfit attaches to itself. There seem to be many pieces to this. I'll be vacuforming the epaulets and covering them in the same fabric as the vest piece. Does anyone know a good place for finding bodysuits?

Guest Anonymous

So I have some progress and some crappy pictures. After going over the comic pics with a fine tooth comb, I came to the conclusion that there is NO cape type thing flying off the back like in the miniature. It doesn't look right to me. I think shadowing on the part of the artist lead the sculptor to make a black cape. I simply don't see it, MHO (I do understand why it looks like it might). So, with that being decided I set to work with the making of the vest. I'm attaching the skirt/flowing pieces to the bottom of that. I've got a black body suit that I've altered for access to the bathroom and for breathability in the front. I'm attaching the sleeves to this. As I mentioned before I've set up a vacuforming device and will be doing the base for the epaulets in plastic and coating them with the same faux leather I'm using for the vest.

Thoughts? Advice? I'd love some input!!

072910002529.jpg

072910002511.jpg

072910002455.jpg

Guest Daritha
I think shadowing on the part of the artist lead the sculptor to make a black cape. I simply don't see it, MHO (I do understand why it looks like it might).

Don't underestimate the poster of artistic freedom. ^^

The (bit blurry) pictures of your costume are looking really good. I'm very impressed. Can't wait to see it finished an in "HD". *g*

Guest Anonymous

Update!

I have the vest completed and paired it with the leotard on my dress form. OUCH! Can't attach sleeves to the leotard...they will hang off the shoulders!!! Once it's been fitted properly I'll add the sleeves and post pics!

100_1383.jpg

100_1388.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Looking lovely so far! This is a beautiful costume concept and it looks like you're going to do it justice!

Guest Mara Jade

I'm gonna cross post my question from another thread here, as another member pointed me to this thread :)

Here goes:

Hello

I'm new to this site, and not currently a member of 501st, so I'm not even sure this is the right place to ask my question, but, I'll try :) I'm hoping none of you are dark side enough to bite my head off ;)

The thing is, I've made a Mara Jade costume - a good one too, if I might say so, and I'm very proud of it, as it's the first costume I've made more or less by myself. But alas, it's not the regular Mara Jade costume. It's the "Refugee" outfit worn in "By the Emperor's Hand", that is also available as a miniature figure

The comic book pictures are posted in post zero, I can see, and I'm gonna asume you know what the miniature looks like :) Otherwise, feel free to ask, and I'll dig up a picture!

And here's a few pictures of me wearing the costume (probably not the best of pictures, but they should give an idea):

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

I've read around, and I've noticed it says you need three reference pictures, however, the reason I even bother to ask (and hope hope hope) is that I can only seem to find one Viqi Shesh picture - But maybe I'm mistaken?

Anyways, I hope someone can and will answer my question, which is basically: Is there ANY way I could get this costume approved for 501st? It would be so frickin' awesome, as there aren't many different Mara costumes out there (already have the green tunic for a good guy Mara ;) ) And this costume plays a huge part in the comic book.

And if none of you can help me, can you pinpoint me in the right direction? Thanks :)

Guest Mara Jade

Someone was kind enough to tell me my links weren't working. They've know been removed, and some pictures have been inserted into the post itself instead. Hope it works now! :)

I've read around, and I've noticed it says you need three reference pictures, however, the reason I even bother to ask (and hope hope hope) is that I can only seem to find one Viqi Shesh picture - But maybe I'm mistaken?

Anyways, I hope someone can and will answer my question, which is basically: Is there ANY way I could get this costume approved for 501st? It would be so frickin' awesome, as there aren't many different Mara costumes out there (already have the green tunic for a good guy Mara ;) ) And this costume plays a huge part in the comic book.

And if none of you can help me, can you pinpoint me in the right direction? Thanks :)

Hiya,

The reason that Viqi is approved even though she doesn't have 3 references is because she was approved long before the 3-references rule was developed. You can find a note about it in her section of the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=897

Now, I honestly have no idea where things stand with the 3-references rule these days. I've heard contradictory statements about it, and I don't know what the current official outlook is. The best way to find out if Mara's pilgrim disguise could be approved is to ask our LMO, Thomas (The Clone Emperor), since he's the one who approves new costumes for the legion. He may say yes, or he may say that we don't have enough references yet. There are only two references that I know of: the comic, and the mini figure.

Guest Anonymous

Great work both of you. I've done this one myself (posted ... elsewhere in the forums, I can't remember where), but I'm going to be re-doing it eventually, after I get a 501st approved costume together.

I would love for this to be an approvable costume for the 501st, myself, but my costume isn't quality enough to even submit for anything. But that's what you get when you rush things.

as for the costume itself, I agree that the cape thing is probably not the original (comic) designer's intention, but there is much more than that difference between it and the mini sculpt. I've studied that sculpt in great detail when making the costume, which led to some decisions in my rendition that I may rethink when I get a chance to head back to the drawing boards with this.

Guest Anonymous

Hiya,

The reason that Viqi is approved even though she doesn't have 3 references is because she was approved long before the 3-references rule was developed. You can find a note about it in her section of the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=897

Now, I honestly have no idea where things stand with the 3-references rule these days. I've heard contradictory statements about it, and I don't know what the current official outlook is. The best way to find out if Mara's pilgrim disguise could be approved is to ask our LMO, Thomas (The Clone Emperor), since he's the one who approves new costumes for the legion. He may say yes, or he may say that we don't have enough references yet. There are only two references that I know of: the comic, and the mini figure.

Just thought I'd interject here as I actually just asked Brian Anderson (the new LMO) about the 3 reference rule. This was his response, word for word:

"As a wise pirate once said, "the code is more what you would call guidelines than actual rules. "

The three references thing has never really been a rule so much as a rough idea.

Jason (co-LMO) and I are almost ready to publish our official policy.

In a nutshell it is:

-character has to be bad

-from an official LFL source

-needs full body reference, front back side

-if it's from a game it can't be player customizable content"

Guest Anonymous

has this costume been approved as yet? This is the one she wears when she is assigned to kill DEQUC of BLACK NEBULA. It does not really have a robe but a dress with leather vest/epaulets, and black bolero.

I am here to see about doing my third Mara Jade costume. I have the Arica spandex blue and have just finished the Green one and am ready to start another one. I like this one and thought I would go for it. I have the graphic novel with quite a few shots.

Guest Anonymous

I am adding a few more reference shots here that I scanned in from the novel

marasideandback.jpg

This shows the back of her outfit pretty well.

As does this one full shot.

maraback.jpg

The scarf is a hood with a hat rim.

marahood.jpg

marabacktop.jpg

and looking carefully at this shot you can see that the dress/sleeve unit of rose is under the vest

marafrontinterior.jpg

It looks like the spandex is blue/violet/ grey ( hard to tell since each frame is toned differently) like her other one but without the silver. The skirt,hood, sleeves are a rosey color and the visor on the hat looks the same color as the inner vest and there is a black outer bolero. Boots are either gray or brown but do not appear to be black.

Bolero might be black velvet and rose fabric a knit from the way it hangs and flows. Brown vest is probably leather but seems too shiny for that. Gold roping and beading? Shoulder armor padded? Same brown as vest?

Because there is a good front and back reference of this costume it should be OK within updated LMO policies. You would want to make an excellent representation of it, probably draft a CRL and document your decisions based on references.

Guest Anonymous

I just ordered some fabric that is really close to the cloak/skirt material in a Jersey knit weighted for slacks. This is the thumb nail of the fabric swatch. I ordered six yards to be safe.

4530600x600_thumb.gif

I am going with the color that is seen in the majority of the images and it has more of a brick tone to it.

marabacktop.jpg