• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr Kotor II Veil Questions

ShadowFang3

Hi everyone!

I am just starting on the Visas Marr Kotor II costume. I am starting with creating a pattern for her veil.  I feel that I have gotten the look pretty close, but want some advice from people with more experience costuming/people who have completed this costume already.  Any tips or patterns that I can compare mine too?

Since I'm new to costume fabrics, are there any other fabrics than chiffon to use so that you can see where you are walking with ~1.25 inches band like Pam's tutorial uses? I'm planning on getting the inner dress and veil fabric soon so I want to make sure to get the right see through fabric for seeing on trooping days.

Also does anyone know a good way to upload progress pictures? I am unable to post anything above 500 KB and was wondering how to keep the quality of the photos.

Thanks,
K8 L33

For a pattern mock-up, I think it looks pretty good! If it is possible to take that back panel and make it a single, seamless panel when you deconstruct it for the actual red fabric, it would be better. 

As for fabric, since the character is blind, to stick to more accurate representation, the majority of Visas I know either just lift the veil enough so they can see a few feet in front of them, or they tip their head back and stare down the sides of their noses to navigate. You won't have normal visibility, but again, she's a blind character and isn't designed to be that way anyways. It's up to you how much you want to stray from the intent of the costume in terms of comfort in sight and mobility, but too much deviation may make it unapprovable. It's the accuracy vs. reality conundrum. 

Thank you for the advice! I'll work on the mock up pattern to see what I can do to make the back a single panel.  

And that's helpful to hear what other people have been doing vision wise. It does seem to be a conundrum. It makes me want to make two versions of the veil one that has more vision (with the see through fabric) and one just normal fabric (no see through fabric) to see which one can get approved. 

Hi

Nice work so far - I agree with DarthValkyria that the backpanel on your veil needs to be in one piece - and not in a red fabric but in a dark burgyndy as to the CRL and ref. pics  

As to the front of the veil - I found a fabric, similar to the color of my veil and dress fabric, but one that I could look through, that I used to cover my eyes.  It´s much better to find something similar as to looking under the veil, the kids will notice that.

I found a link for a fabric that is very similar to mine - this way it can give you an idea of, what I mean   :wink:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/205031033/bordeaux-wine-color-stretch-tulle-fabric