• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

MWA COTF nihilus

Guest Byloc Phosmont

Guest Byloc Phosmont

hey everyone, this my first post here on flagship eclipse. I'm looking forward to going down the path to the dark side with all of you!

So I've been looking into MWA's stuff, and his costumes are very impressive. He recently put up a COTF nihilus that I think is really awesome, although I'm not familiar enough with the slight details of this character to know if that costume is ready for 501st approval. Anyone own one of those costumes?

Also how much does a nihilus usually cost people? Im a member of the Mercs so I'm used to scratch building my way through a costume, so I guess what I'm looking for is what the cost of purchasing a completed nihilus would be compared to how much it'd cost to make the costume myself.

With any purchased costume there will always be some adjustments and tweeks that will need to be made so it looks good on the wearer. Not everyone is the exact same size, so things need to be tucked, pulled, pinched, added too, and so on.

As for the MWA COTF Nihilus, there are some things that would need to be altered. The belt isn't quite right, the middle strip isn't wide enough and is also shiny, compared to the matte finish on the wider under belt. It also appears the belt is missing those little black studs that hold the thinner top belt on. Also the cowl would need some tweeking a bit. The cowl should come in at the side of the mask. Right now it's looking a little "cobra headed". The quilted lines on the sleeves seem to be too narrow as well, so you may have to sew new ones that are wider. This is just what I have observed from seeing what is shown on MWA website.

As for the cost for a Nihilus, it really comes down to how you go about making the costume. Prices will vary depending on what materials you use, how much you buy pre-made (like the mask) versus what you build from scratch. Personally I nearly spent almost $400 on my Nihilus costume. I went with a heavy piano weave linen fabric which is a bit pricey, where other people have gone with silk noil or a cotton which can be purchased much cheaper. I sewed everything on my costume, built my own mask and under cowl and "cat ears". I made my own belt from scratch as well. Only thing I bought were the gloves and I already had a pair of black boots. There is no exact cost on Nihilus, it comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

Being a Mando, you probably know this already. Some people pour a lot of money and time into their kits, while other just can't afford to spend so much on their kit. Comes down to what you want to do. I also have a Mando, and it was a lot cheaper to build then my Nihilus.

I hope this has been helpful!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Byloc Phosmont

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate all the advice and info. I have yet to hear back from MWA, I know he's a busy guy with all his commissions.

Any idea who this Nihilus is? I love everything about his costume and want to learn more about it.

2099294795_c841f03dd1_o.jpg

I found the image online, it was from a troop in California I think... I searched the 501st members for this guy and had no luck with finding him.

I'm afraid I don't know who that Nihilus is, but it is a great costume. It would come down to how many Nihilus' wear platform boots for added height and figuring out who it is from there. My garrison can spot my Nihilus from a mile away because my mask is so distinctive, but it gets hard to figure out who is who when they have a MWA masks.

Anyone else know who it might be?

Cheers,

Nef

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate all the advice and info. I have yet to hear back from MWA, I know he's a busy guy with all his commissions.

Any idea who this Nihilus is? I love everything about his costume and want to learn more about it.

**image was here**

I found the image online, it was from a troop in California I think... I searched the 501st members for this guy and had no luck with finding him.

I'm afraid I don't know who that Nihilus is, but it is a great costume. It would come down to how many Nihilus' wear platform boots for added height and figuring out who it is from there. My garrison can spot my Nihilus from a mile away because my mask is so distinctive, but it gets hard to figure out who is who when they have a MWA masks.

Anyone else know who it might be?

Cheers,

Nef

Alrighty. Skill of the internets put to use. The Revan looks like Nathan Plamondon and he is from the New England Garrison. I got that from browsing several of the pictures in the albums. However...

The picture in question was uploaded by Colby Thompson if the name on the Photobucket account can be trusted. I am assuming he is from the Mass. area as well due to the many pictures. He has a mando and also troops a TB. Uploaded pictures from a Toys for Tots troop in Boxford. However I find no Colby Thompson in The Legion. That could be because he hasn't been approved or has gone into Retired status. NEG currently has about 100 members (but we all know that could be off) so it would not do well to search all the profiles for the other 2 sith lords because some people have more than one costume.

Best bet: Get in touch with SL-1597

I pulled up a lot of info on SL-1597 but it didn't seem prudent to put that here.

Guest Byloc Phosmont

Hey, sorry for the long delay! I just put a down payment on a commission from Rob over at MWA, I'm very excited to get this started! I'll need to pick up boots, gloves and create the belt myself, as well as weather the fabric that he gives me (I really enjoy that part of putting together a costume).

Sounds like you are well underway and have a good list of what to work on! I also love weathering costumes, hehehe. Far too much fun shredding fabric!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Byloc Phosmont

Thank you Nef!

I received my Nihilus in the mail from MWA a few weeks ago and am determined to get the rest of it done over my winter break! I'll get some photos up of where I'm at tomorrow, but I think that all I've left to make is the belt.

Question for you experienced Nihilus builders! The little black studs on the belt, is there a scratchbuild way to make those or is the only option to buy them from that leather outlet store that Nef put up on her WIP thread quite a while ago. At about $4 a stud, I figure someone may have figured out a way to make them that's more cost effective?

And as far as gloves go, would these suffice? With the strap cut off of course.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Leather-Moto ... 20531.html

Thank you Nef!

I received my Nihilus in the mail from MWA a few weeks ago and am determined to get the rest of it done over my winter break! I'll get some photos up of where I'm at tomorrow, but I think that all I've left to make is the belt.

Question for you experienced Nihilus builders! The little black studs on the belt, is there a scratchbuild way to make those or is the only option to buy them from that leather outlet store that Nef put up on her WIP thread quite a while ago. At about $4 a stud, I figure someone may have figured out a way to make them that's more cost effective?

these are the studs I used from tandy leather:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 10-17.aspx

already in the required color. my belt is 2" wide for the bottom and 3/4" wide for the upper belt.

i bought raw belt blanks from tandy, died them black, aded a coat of matt leather finish (to keep the black dye from coming off). I have mine held together with two snaps in the back

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1523/v4yc.jpg

as for the gloves. Im not sure about the vertical grooves between the fingers...

these are the gloves I bought and the Legion Membership officer had no issues with them when I sent my approval pics in:

http://www.leathermystics.com/gauntlets ... ml#leather

the black, non studded ones. $25/pair.

Thank you Nef!

these are the studs I used from tandy leather:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 10-17.aspx

already in the required color. my belt is 2" wide for the bottom and 3/4" wide for the upper belt.

i bought raw belt blanks from tandy, died them black, aded a coat of matt leather finish (to keep the black dye from coming off). I have mine held together with two snaps in the back

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1523/v4yc.jpg

as for the gloves. Im not sure about the vertical grooves between the fingers...

these are the gloves I bought and the Legion Membership officer had no issues with them when I sent my approval pics in:

http://www.leathermystics.com/gauntlets ... ml#leather

the black, non studded ones. $25/pair.

As far as I know, Tandy is the only place to get the studs from. The link that C.Skiles posted shows the correct studs needed for approval. Back when I made my Nihilus they only made them in silver and I had to paint mine with black enamel paint, so at least they now come in black already!

The gloves cannot have stitching on the back of the hand, so the gloves you linked would not work. The ones that C.Skiles posted are very similar to the ones I have and would work fine.

Looking forward to seeing your kit soon!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Byloc Phosmont

Thanks! I put in an order for the gloves and they should be coming sometime around New Years. I'm just about done tattering the robes, I've gotten the cape, tunic, and a small portion of the inner skirt done. DANG THAT'S A LOT OF FABRIC!

Last question I can think of! How many of the studs should I order? From what I've seen online it looks like most people have either 6 or 8 visible studs.

Thanks! I put in an order for the gloves and they should be coming sometime around New Years. I'm just about done tattering the robes, I've gotten the cape, tunic, and a small portion of the inner skirt done. DANG THAT'S A LOT OF FABRIC!

Last question I can think of! How many of the studs should I order? From what I've seen online it looks like most people have either 6 or 8 visible studs.

the belt should have 8 of them.

Guest Byloc Phosmont

Ok, thanks.

After two days of attacking this thing I'm satisfied with the damage done to it. Here's some photos.

photo4.jpg

Lousy picture of cape, but I wanted it spread out to show all of it.

photo3.jpg

Inner and Outer skirt

photo2.jpg

Now cape with the inner and outer skirts... and my dog, Jasmine.

photo1.jpg

The outer one could probably use some more weathering. The bottom hem line looks too...straight?

The other pieces look really god to me.

Also...ROTTWEILER!!!!

My family has 7 rotties currently. And 5 that have 'become one with the force' :(

Guest Byloc Phosmont

Thanks for the input! Will keep that in mind as I make a few more adjustments. That said, here's a few photos from a Mercs event I attended. In the last hour I put on my Nihilus, let me know what you guys think! Got the real gloves today :)

1512596_637900162940635_96730092_n.jpg

1501852_464000633705190_1825251236_n2.jpg

Also, am I wearing the obi to high? I put it around my stomach, or should it be at my waistline?

1501852_464000633705190_1825251236_n2.jpg[/url]

Obi placement looks fine to me...

a few things though...

1) the outer tunic could use some more weathering. Mine had more than that and was deemed "barely enough"

2) the outer tunic is supposed to close the other way (left over right)

3) maybe trip up your cape so it doesn't drag the ground. I had to shorten my cape and resubmit pics cause the cape drug the ground by maybe an inch.

4) I'm guessing that's just a placeholder belt?

I like your ears though :)

Your costume is looking very good so far! The suggestions that C.Skiles are all very good points, and I have a couple more suggestions to add as well.

1) When you do submit your application pictures just remember the cape should sweep back over your shoulders, it's doesn't cover them up. See the CRL photo if you need reference.

2) The quilting on your sleeves looks somewhat close together, they should be about an inch in width. You might get asked to alter those when you submit for application.

You are very very close to being done!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest Byloc Phosmont

I'm sorry I haven't been around so much! Got the gloves and shoes, just need to get rolling on the belt. Any vendors that sell them around here? Also has anyone tried purchasing two black belts, one with a 2 in width, trimming the second one to be the correct width and glueing it on top? Then adding the studs? That seems like an inexpensive alternative to leather working, I know usually that type of thinking is praised in SW costuming, but I'd like to make sure it'd pass muster.

cropped.jpg

And here's a a photo I took of me in my almost completed Nihilus, it was taken on my Minolta film camera and then scanned after I developed the film and made a print. Hope you enjoy it!

You can buy belt blanks that are pretty much ready to go from Tandy. Just need to pick a buckle to go with it.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-ca ... 8-186.aspx

Then you can buy the smaller thin leather strip to glue down on top of the belt blank.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-ca ... 3-190.aspx

Then you can dye them with the same black dye at the same time so you don't have to worry about the black's being slightly different. All you need to do in terms of "leather work" is punch the holes for the studs and put them in. As well as the holes for the belt buckle once it is sized to you. This is what I did for my Nihilus belt and it worked out great!

That picture is fantastic!

Cheers,

Nef