• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Nihilus costume: FEEDBACK PLEASE!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

I had this costume custom made for me a while ago. I just wanted to get an opinion of it as-is before I submit my official pics for acceptance. I really want top hear what you guys think. Any and all criticism, comments, etc are most welcome.

A few quick notes:

-I already know the mask won't be approved; it's why the costume got kicked back the forst time.

-The cape hangs a little longer than in the pictures. I ties the knot too high and it pulled the cape up.

-The quilting on the sleeves is hard to see. Is there some sort of lighting trick I could use to get the quilting to show up better? Black-on-black is difficult for my camera to pick up for some reason.

-I don't have a Nihilus lightsaber yet. Where is a good place to get one, or what is a good alternative saber model to use, if any?

-There are two small pieces of fabric hanging out from benieth the outer tunic. That was me using a long piece of fabric as an improvised neck guard. I have since gotten rid of it.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback. I look forward to trooping with you guys in the future. May the Force be with you!

-Karl

Guest Aysel

Hi Karl, I saw you post these pictures a few days ago and I just haven't found the time to sit down and give you a proper dissection of your costume. I'm going to PM Atavistic to help you get this squared away ^_^

^_^ Katie

The first thing that I am noticing is that you need some better lighting for your submission pictures. I would suggest that you take the pictures outside on a sunny day with the sun at the camera-person's back (in your face). That will show the quilting on the sleeves as well as some of the other black-on-black material changes.

There does not appear to be enough of a U-type bowing between the kitty ears of the head. This is where the jewel of the mask should sit. So, barring better pictures, you might need to change that a little. I would also like some side shots to see how much of a pronounced point you have to the rear of the head.

The gloves, boots, belt, and obi look very good. Also, I am a fan of the molded face under the mask, so definite props for that, too.

For now, lacking better pictures, I would say that you need to tweak the ears and forehead a little, get some better lit shots, and then post them.

As for the lightsaber, there are a couple of custom saber builders who are making them. At this moment, I am trying to finalize a PVC design for my own (the bulbous hilt). However, if you can find a KOTOR-style saber or one that looks close enough to the various pics, I am sure you could use that for your saber. For the moment, I am using a MR Force FX ESB Vader hilt and have received no complaints.

However, you don't need a lightsaber for submission, so it's all good.

It's good to see this costume so very near to completion. And my thanks to our detachment leader for bringing this to my attention. Let's take a look at it.

I agree with Volund that the forward edge of your hood needs to be right up against the jewel of your mask. It's an element of Nihilus' look.

I can see the tag ends of your cloak's knot. You've got to hide them or get rid of them. A simple solution is to sew the ends to the back of the knot itself.

I'm going to disagree with Volund on the obi, though... it's too wide. That was a problem that I originally had. The obi should only be two inches wider than your belt... one inch visible above the belt and one inch visible below.

I'll revert to agreeing with Volund on the lighting. Take your pictures outside on a sunny day. You don't need to stand in the direct sunlight (and I recommend against it). But some ambient sunlight does wonders in revealing the details of a costume.

Now here's the biggest hurdle I see with this costume... it needs more WEATHERING! This costume isn't worn, torn, ad beaten enough to be Nihilus. I can see a few slits and small holes in the costume but I see a huge amount of straight and pristine hem as well. The hems of your skirts, cloak, and outer tunic should be tattered, frayed, worn, and shredded. As a personal rule when I weathered my Nihilus, I left an absolute maximum of three inches untouched between cuts in the fabric. Any uncut hem got hit with a cheese grater and cat fur brush to wear down and fray the fabric. There were many spots where I actually cut chunks out of the fabric and then attacked the hole edges with the cheese grater. Ideally, we shouldn't really see any stretches of pristine hem on this costume. I know it's a bit scary to tear your new costume up, but Nihilus requires it.

Here's an example...

IMGP5448.jpg

Cruising through from head to toe. Well, shoulder to toe.

You're correct, the mask won't pass, and while the already given advice is 100% correct, the way everything fits together may change some with a new mask.

As has been mentioned, the knot should not have any ends loose. You can tuck them back into the knot more than likely and be good there. Also, remember that the knot should rest down further on your chest, in your pics it looks like the cape has slid backward and is choking you. A tab of velcro on your shoulders and on the inside of the cape really helps keep it in place.

To help the stiching in the sleeves stand out more, take some white chalk and rub it into the seams. THen brush most of it back off. It really helps make them stand out better.

In your pictures we can not confirm that you have the correct number of tunic layers, because they're pulled too far closed. They should be more open so that the layers are visible. The tunics are also hanging down an awful long way below the obi-belt.

The obi is too wide right now, but I think you can fix that by just rolling the edges underneath the obi. For a 2 inch belt, it really should be about a 4 inch wide obi.

Can't see the multiple layers of the skits (it's hard to photograph that so that they are visible.)

And, weathering....you need a lot more of it. Really shred up the ends of the tunics, skirt, and cape.

Gloves look good, belt looks good.

Please hit the molded black undermask with some dulling spray or semi-gloss black. They're an interesting effect, but always look too plasticy.

Guest Anonymous

I think I finally got a few pictures of the stitching on the sleeves that should suffice, and have weathered the skirts, outer tunic, and the cape.

Guest Anonymous

And here are a few shots without the mask or cape/cowl to show both the inner and outer tunics:

Okee doke, with those shots, some additional feedback is possible.

The tunics are wrapped way too tightly still. Loosen them up, they should cross lower down on the body for the right look.

More weathering.

Sleeves, unfortunately those aren't going to work. You're looking for a quilted look similar to how Vader's undersuit looks.

Guest Anonymous

If I loosen up the tunics, they start to show skin. Would it be acceptable to wear like a plain black t-shirt under the tunics to hide my chest? If not, what is supposed to be worn under the tunics, if anything?

Guest Aysel

and what he means about the quilting on the sleeves, the lines should be about 1 inch apart. and yes to the underarmor/plain black t-shirt, my husband wears a sleeveless t-shirt under his

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

So if I get more stitching on the sleeves, so that each "segment" is 1 inch wide, the sleeves will be good?

Guest Anonymous

Okay, so here is a step-by step of all the costume pieces in the order that I put them on. I didn't put on the gloves, and I'm not going to putz around with the cape/cowl, hood, or mask until my new mask arrives.

post-1-142759261766_thumb.jpg

Alright, from what I can see in these pictures, I'm happier with the obi width and the skirt weathering.

Remember to close your tunics right side over left.

I think that your outer tunic needs a bit more weathering. This is an improvement, but the weathering should be a closer match to the weathering of the skirts. So go at it a bit more.

The quilted sleeves definitely need the stitching to have an inch between each quilted line. The sleeves, usually, are quilted... meaning that there are two layers of fabric to the sleeves and that batting is layered between the two layers of fabric. This gives the sleeves a slightly "puffed" look. Your sleeves aren't crafted that way, though. Definitely adjust the spacing of your quilt lines. Even if you don't fully correct the sleeves, this will improve the look.

Guest Anonymous

MY NEW MASK HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!!! I took a few pictures of me wearing it. A few things to note:

-The mask was hanging down a little bit low over the black character mask. I have since fixed this by tightening up the straps for the Nihilus mask.

-The black character mask its self needs a matte finish. I already bought the paint, and it's just a matter of the weather here (central Texas) being good for spray painting.

Any feedback is most appreciated. And while we're on the subject of feedback, I'd like to to take a moment and thank all of you who have been so helpful and thoughtful while I try and get this costume finished. Thank you so much!

Anyways, here are the pics:

post-1-14275926178_thumb.jpg

Guest Aysel

the mask itself looks good, the issues that you've mentioned your already fixing which is good. Normally I have to tell people that their ears are too small....in your case they are a bit too big ^_^ they need to be about 3/4 the size they are right now, which will then help the drape of your hood on the sides on your head. The knot also needs some attention, I recommend making a faux knot and sewing the ends of your hood to that.

Good luck with the rest of your build ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Aysel

the knot looks good now, nice quick work. as you've pointed out still need to throw that matte coat on the under mask. I want to see a pic from the side, I have a concern that the bump on the back of the head isn't the right shape yet. Did you work on the ears? If not, try to also round the tips also. All the little things help with the fall of the hood. Each small tweak continues to improve this build.

^_^ Katie

PS *hint-wear-a-shirt-next-time-I'm-kinda-blind-now* ^_^

Guest Anonymous

I did work on the ears; they are smaller than before and don't jut out at such a horizontal angle. They also come more forward, to frame the mask better.

Here are a few side view photos that show the "bump".

I think you're very close on the horns.

As Katie said, they need to be rounded off a little, they are too pointy right now, and should really be moved lower relative to your head. They should be almost straight across from the decoration piece at the top of the mask, just maybe a fingers width higher.