• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Nihilus by Nihilus (update Dec 8th 2012)

Guest Nihilus

Guest Nihilus

I'm new here and this is my first every costume build.

So far I only have the mask, which I got off someone I know in the US who does Star Wars Props. The mask has straps like a Jason Hockey mask

[attachment=2]100_3210.JPG[/attachment]

As you can see in the pic, I need to repaint the red strips on the mask cause they are to dark

This is a pic of the costume I am getting done at the end this month

I don't get the leather belt or gloves or boots with the costume I got get those item from else where the same with the blackout hood to wear under the mask.

Here is the write up from the people that are doing the costume for me

[attachment=1]2012-01-01_164148.jpg[/attachment]

"Custom outfit based on Darth Nihilus. This costume (shown above) was created from black crinkle cotton, with the exception of the quilted black matte satin sleeves. Once the outfit was created, the various layers were shredded and distressed. Shown here with veiling over the mannequin 'head' for photography purposes - this is not included with the costume, but can be purchased seperately for $30.

The total for the crinkle cotton obi, vest/sleeveless shirt directly under the obi, long under-robe with front facings and synthetic satin quilted ribbed sleeves, 'skirt' with drawstring waist, rectangular cloak gathered at the neckline (with or without hood) and some distressing will cost $380 + shipping. The veil is an additional $30. Everything but the quilted sleeves and the veiling is 100% cotton ."

Here is what the costume looks complete by someone else who had them make the Darth Nihilus for.. Just so you can get an idea how it will look when it is done .

[attachment=0]2012-02-15_170754.jpg[/attachment]

So that is some what I have done in the past month, Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated I am totally new to all this

Shaun aka. Nihilus

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nihilus

Don't know if anyone here has heard the site if not I hope it is ok post the link for others.. This site I found lets you build your own custom FX Lightsabers.. If it isn't' ok posting the link I am sorry..

Its called the custom saber shop. They have a set up where you can go through all the parts they have and design your lightsaber hilts

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/

This is the lightsaber hilt I came up for Nihilus

[attachment=0]2012-02-15_183720.jpg[/attachment]

But if I could I would love to get a COTF FX prop replica of Nihilus lightsaber, which I haven't been able to find one of at the moment.

since the COTF Nihilus saber is hard to come by (there is a guy who occasionally offers them on ebay for $$$$, if you don't sculpt one for yourself) a KOTOR 2 style saber is perfectly acceptable and TCSS is a good place to by saber parts, many people get their parts from them. ^_^

^_^ Katie

Welcome Shaun. It's good to see you pop over here from the TAG forums. I've already given you some information via PM and a couple of posts on TAG so I won't bother to repeat the information here. You will find all of the help and information you need here at the Flagship Eclipse.

There are at least two sellers of the Darth Nihilus lightsaber. One has a questionable reputation and the other is quite pricey. Other than making it yourself, TCSS is a viable and passable option.

Guest Nihilus
since the COTF Nihilus saber is hard to come by (there is a guy who occasionally offers them on ebay for $$$$, if you don't sculpt one for yourself) a KOTOR 2 style saber is perfectly acceptable and TCSS is a good place to by saber parts, many people get their parts from them. ^_^

^_^ Katie

Thanks for the info Katie :)

Guest Nihilus
Welcome Shaun. It's good to see you pop over here from the TAG forums. I've already given you some information via PM and a couple of posts on TAG so I won't bother to repeat the information here. You will find all of the help and information you need here at the Flagship Eclipse.

There are at least two sellers of the Darth Nihilus lightsaber. One has a questionable reputation and the other is quite pricey. Other than making it yourself, TCSS is a viable and passable option.

Good to see ya here too.. You have been great help since we met the other day :)

Yeah.. TCSS isn't bad, I will go with that and just keep an eye out for a cheep one to come up for sale on Ebay.

Seeing I don't need the lightsaber to pass with joining the 501st.

Been having a think over different ways with the cat ears.. with some the pics I seen here it giving me some ideas about going about doing it.

Here is the pricey Nihilus lightsaber... http://saberconcepts.blogspot.com.au/

I seem to remember his prices being higher than that, though. I think his name is Wade.

Or look through this... http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?11844-Rhyen-Skytracker-s-Darth-Nihilus-custom-sabers/page4. These, I know, were the pricey ones. I'm inclined to think that both links are the same person.

Guest Nihilus

Oh one other thing I keep forgetting to post about with Nihilus.. Has anyone thought about what has come up with one the figures released of him where he has is hood off and you can actually see his hair.. He has like a dreadlocks or his hair is braided?

Here is the pic I mean if you haven't seen it.

attachment=0]Nihilus_Dreads back of head.jpg[/attachment]

Well has this ever been suggest to the 501st as being aloud if you want to do add it to your version of the costume???

cause I do have long hair and was thinking with my black hood I was going to have a part cut out the back to let my hair out so I don't get as hot in it.

Guest Nihilus
Here is the pricey Nihilus lightsaber... http://saberconcepts.blogspot.com.au/

I seem to remember his prices being higher than that, though. I think his name is Wade.

Or look through this... http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?11844-Rhyen-Skytracker-s-Darth-Nihilus-custom-sabers/page4. These, I know, were the pricey ones. I'm inclined to think that both links are the same person.

Cool thanks a lot for the links mate :D

The dreadlocks on the action figure are a bit misleading. The hairstyle explains the shape of Nihilus' head beneath his hood. But explanations are clear to point out that Darth Nihilus no longer had a body. He inhabited his armor, which retained Nihilus' body shape. So, actually, Nihilus didn't have hair. Not physically, at least. And even if he did, we never see it in artwork or the video game. An action figure isn't a valid reference, I'm afraid.

I've got long hair, too. I simply pull it back into a ponytail and slip my under-mask, mask, and hood on over my hair. The ponytail keeps things tidy and cool under the layers of fabric.

Guest Nihilus
The dreadlocks on the action figure are a bit misleading. The hairstyle explains the shape of Nihilus' head beneath his hood. But explanations are clear to point out that Darth Nihilus no longer had a body. He inhabited his armor, which retained Nihilus' body shape. So, actually, Nihilus didn't have hair. Not physically, at least. And even if he did, we never see it in artwork or the video game. An action figure isn't a valid reference, I'm afraid.

I've got long hair, too. I simply pull it back into a ponytail and slip my under-mask, mask, and hood on over my hair. The ponytail keeps things tidy and cool under the layers of fabric.

Thats good to know.. I thought I just ask... cause I did think it was a bit weird him having hair showing seeing he no longer had a body. I got totally hooked on his characters story.. Wish they do a good novel about him.

I will still have my blackout hood open at the back to let my hair out seeing it wont be noticeable under my hood.

Fair enough letting your hair hang a bit loose beneath the hood. My under-mask/balaclava is also used for my stormtrooper, though. It's just easier for me to get multiple uses out of the thing. :)

Guest Nihilus
Fair enough letting your hair hang a bit loose beneath the hood. My under-mask/balaclava is also used for my stormtrooper, though. It's just easier for me to get multiple uses out of the thing. :)

Thats what I like about the cover overalls used for Tie Pilot I can get about 3 costumes out that, I just have to buy the right helmet and other couple extras and I am ready to go.

Cause I did get suggest for my next costume do one from the original Trilogy, that is one idea I am thinking of. Or an Imperial Officer.

Guest Nihilus

I emailed Twin Roses Designs and talked to Gary, I let him know I am paying to commission my Darth Nihilus costume this Thursday coming. Due to the increased price in fabrics the price of outfit been raised by $20 This will bring the cost to $380 for the outfit, $30 for the veil and about $55 for Insured International shipping.

I think that is good price for great quality. :)

Sounds right for a Twin Roses job. Definitely one of their more affordable costumes. Gary is in charge of embroidery there. If that price is in US dollars you'll do alright. The Aussie dollar is stronger at the moment and you'll save around $30.00 in the currency conversion.

Guest Nihilus
Sounds right for a Twin Roses job. Definitely one of their more affordable costumes. Gary is in charge of embroidery there. If that price is in US dollars you'll do alright. The Aussie dollar is stronger at the moment and you'll save around $30.00 in the currency conversion.

Oh I didn't know, I have talked to him a few times.. nice guy. Yep that was in US dollars.. soo ya great that our dollar is strong at the moment.. Well it has been for awhile since last year.

I am pleased at the price.

Guest Nihilus

I think I have a good idea how to go about making my cat ears for my costume. Use a "Replacement Ratchet Suspension" so it is fully adjustable. What does everyone think?[attachment=0]400.jpg[/attachment]

if you can figure out how to get the cat ears attached to that and keep it steady I say go for it. I tried to use one when I was making my hubby's Nihilus and it just didn't work out which is why I went with a baseball helmet in the end.

^_^ Katie

Guest Nihilus
if you can figure out how to get the cat ears attached to that and keep it steady I say go for it. I tried to use one when I was making my hubby's Nihilus and it just didn't work out which is why I went with a baseball helmet in the end.

^_^ Katie

Hopefully I can find away to make it steady Katie.. I'd find a baseball helmet a bit hot after awhile with my blackout hood specially with my long hair.

Guest Nihilus

don't know what I am going to do... I can't get the boots to fit me at all here. Nowhere has boots big enough to fit my 22inch calves :(

Start prowling the internet. You're bound to find something. Just search for riding boots. Don't go cheap on your boots. A good pair of boots will last and be comfortable on those long troops.

I scored a pair of WW2 German jackboots for my Nihilus. The things still have hobnails on them so when I walk on a hard floor, my heels click with every step. It's a fun little touch. :)

Guest Sarah1968

Nihilus

Thank you soooo much for posting your saber spec information here. As a complete, green, fresh, doe eyed newbie myself, trying to find an "out of the box" saber for Nihilus KOTOR was very hard and finding a starting point was also very hard for me. Can I ask if the one you've designed above is the KOTOR version? Are there vast differences between the COTF and the KOTOR versions of the Nihilus saber?

Is there a chance you could post a screenie of your parts list?

Your other posts in this forum have been extremely helpful to me also and I look forward to your response.

Kind regards

Sarah.

:D