• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Starting Talon

Guest Brit

Guest Brit

Hello!

I just starting working on a Darth Talon costume and need some help. Well right now I need opinions. Lol I've been making all of my stencils for the armor, and I'm almost ready to start cutting it out, but I can't decide how I want to do the back of my bikini bottom. With the flaps hanging down or without. I like both and cant decide for anything. So here are the two I'm stuck on:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/d ... =23&pos=12

Or

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images ... n_LECG.jpg

I'm planning to do the rest off of this picture:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/d ... fullsize=1

So the belt will have armor sides instead of the leather.

Any input would be much appreciated! I'm very indecisive. Lol

Guest Anonymous

Personally, I prefer the flaps in the back of the bikini, and that's how I'll be doing my costume once I start it (gotta finish toning up first). I'm slightly biased though, in that I normally am very modest, and I'll take any extra covering to lessen the chance I'll lose my nerve :P From what I've been reading around here, I THINK the armored sides of the bikini are not the costume standard, so I would check with Twi'lek Pam or one of the other head honchos here before going through the effort of making it. Comic cover arts have a tendency to not completely conform to the character design standard from what I've seen, so I would try to stick to the in-comic pictures for reference shots. There's a lot of great pics to go by in the Darth Talon Costume Standards thread. Good luck :)

Guest Brit

Yeah, I was wondering about whether doing the sides armored would matter. I'm also doing the top armored, and the standards say leather. To me some of the images it appears to be armor.

Like here:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/d ... =23&pos=18

Both the top looks armored and the belt looks to go all the way around. But that is a good question. I definately want it approvable.

Guest Aysel

not to be crass in any way, shape or form but I would take into consideration how your bum will shape the fall of the flaps in the back. I know if I did it I'd say no flaps since I have a curvy bottom. (adapting comic art to real life; the only time I curse having the classic hour-glass figure)

Guest Anonymous

True, I didn't even think about the effect your body shape might have on the flaps. I think I read in someone else's talon thread that they had their "bum flaps" detachable via velcro, which may be a great option if you like both styles or if you're torn on which way fits your body best :)

Brit: I know what you mean about some of the pictures looking like the bikini may be armored, some shots and statuettes it's more gray, while others its straight black. The black looks like leather to me, but the gray could either be lighting or armored. I could see it argued either way. Definitely double check with the in-charge type peoples to see if it's acceptable, and then go from there.

Guest Brit

Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue it either way. I was just saying that's why I had started the armor pieces. I thought it was armor. Lol

And I hadn't thought about the whole butt thing either, but I don't have much of a bum. Lol I guess I'll probably go with having them. Maybe detachable like you suggested. (I hadn't thought of that!) I kinda like the balance of having them in the front and the back, but then I also like the other look as well.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I prefer the look of the back flaps too. I'm semi OCD about balanced looks, so asymmetry tends to bug me :roll: Thankfully Darth Talon is as balanced as you can get as long as the back flaps are there, so my OCD can rest :D

Hi,

As far as I'm concerned, Darth Talon costumes should be based on the comic artwork, as she was designed by her creator. I get so frustrated with the illustrators who take that design and change it to suit their own interests... not only because they're ignoring the way it's supposed to be, but also because it makes the legion's job of creating a costume standard into a huge pain in the rear. (Note that none of the illustrations were used in the standards, only comic art... except for one earpiece example that also includes inaccurate red eyes and a smooshed head that looks like she drove into a brick wall at full speed.) There are dozens of inaccuracies in the illustrations that were made by other artists, and to be honest I would speak against those inaccuracies if I were asked to judge a costume for approval.

We asked Talon's creator, Jan Duursema, for advice while the standards were being written, and here's what she said:

The bikini top is supposed to be heavy tooling leather. There are no open cutouts in the back; when you see red, it's a coloring mistake. (She said that the red on the arms that you see from time to time is a coloring mistake, too. The gloves are supposed to go all the way up to the top of the armor.)

The bikini bottom is supposed to be soft leather. However, Jan acknowledges that it's not very practical for real life movement, so she recommends a black bathing suit bottom.

She originally drew the belt with no center panel and straps in the back. She later added them in and realized that she liked the look a lot better because, as you mentioned, it looks more balanced. She also said that it looks a lot more finished, because otherwise the back seemed very plain.

Hope that helps!

Pam :-)

It's not armor, no. It's leather.

(On an interesting side note, Jan commented that Talon wears no armor on any "vital" area because she trusts the darkside to be her armor. She wears the armor pieces on her arms and legs only so that she can use them for stopping opponents lightsabers... thus keeping her own saber free for attacking while the other saber is being parried, and leaving all the lines burned into the armor pieces.)

Guest Anonymous

Nice, that's really helpful info from the creator! Her outfit makes so much more sense now that we hear the back story of "why". I was leaning toward a swim bikini bottom for my own plans, so its nice to know that it wouldn't go against the standards too :)

Guest Brit

I guess leather it is then. Lol. That gives me extra material in case I mess up an armor piece anyways.

For the long boots I was thinking of using a shorter boot and wearing leggings that look leather to make them longer.

And for the bikini bottom I figured I'd try to cut down the top portion of the leggins I cut off. If that doesn't work a bikini bottom was my next plan.

Guest Sakara

heavy tooled leather can be referred to as armour as it was often used as such. Id use the templates you made for what ever you were going to use for your armour, and make them using the heavy thick leather (the type used for belts and saddles and suchlike)

I put this project on hold for a while, but I'm back working on it again for a bit anyways. I've almost finished my top. I just can't decide if I want leather under the squares on the back or to flip it to the suede side for more contrast. I would love to hear some opinions. :) hopefully these photos will work. I'm using a new uploading thing from my phone...

Suede:

http://www.photoshop.com/users/brit3801 ... b0f4fcbd0e

Leather:

http://www.photoshop.com/users/brit3801 ... 62e50447ec

And here's the front:

http://www.photoshop.com/users/brit3801 ... 3098752ceb

Ignore that shadow that makes it look like it has 2 tips on the right side. :P

The squares do stand out much better with the suede side, so that can be a definite plus. Another option might be to use the leather side, but darken it with some leather paint or black polish to make it more visible. It's the final look that counts, so use the technique that seems the most accurate to you!

Does anyone have suggestions on a good airbrush to buy? I know I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't find anything about it.

Guest Doc-Girlfriend
The squares do stand out much better with the suede side, so that can be a definite plus. Another option might be to use the leather side, but darken it with some leather paint or black polish to make it more visible. It's the final look that counts, so use the technique that seems the most accurate to you!

I used two different leathers (slight different texture) using the leather side not the suede side THEN I spaced them apart using some craft foam to give the squares some depth and dimension as they look in the comic.

As for body paint - SPRAYGUN.. airbrush will take FOREVA but just make sure your stencils have a lot of extra material around them or you will get over spray!

I wound up just flipping it to the suede behind it. I liked the bigger difference between the two. I actually finished my top months ago, but I put everything off a for a while when I moved.

Its crazy how little there is to actually make to this costume. I thought it was going to be much harder, but once I got started it's not too bad.

My armor needs painting and bands to hold it on, and I ordered some gloves and leggings I'm waiting on. I'm going to cut the leggings down and wear them under my boots to make them longer, and use the top part to hopefully make the umm...underwear? Then I have the headpiece to figure out.

As for the belt, I was thinking of trying to tool the lines into leather strips. Has anyone tried this? I don't know anything about tooling leather, but my perfectionism wont let me go without those lines.

Heres what I have so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60599354@N03/6826542434

And after I added the lightsaber marks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60599354@N03/6972662177

As for the belt, I was thinking of trying to tool the lines into leather strips. Has anyone tried this? I don't know anything about tooling leather, but my perfectionism wont let me go without those lines.

Don't worry, tooling the lines is very easy! Add them before you dye the leather, since you have to get it damp first. Sponge on a light coat of water, give it a moment to saturate the top layer of the leather, and then use a strong straight-edge and something with a pointed (but not sharp) tip to etch the lines. I used a nail setter, and it did a great job. I made a very light and shallow line first, to make a guide line, and then went over it a second time with more pressure. That gives the tool a channel to follow so you have less chance of it getting crooked when you are pressing hard. Allow the leather to dry, and the lines will be permanent! Be sure to hold the leather and the straight-edge firmly so that they don't shift while you are making the lines. After that, you dye and seal the leather, and it's done!

TalonBeltLines.jpg

Guest Aysel

there are also rolling tools you can pick up, but a nail setter is at least cheap ^_^ doing a guide line is a very good idea. Just don't skip the getting it wet, it makes it easier to do the lines. But this type of thing is super simple, we used to do this all the time in art class in my middle school, and if 12 year olds can do this, you can ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous
[then use a strong straight-edge and something with a pointed (but not sharp) tip to etch the lines.

There are also cutting tools you can get from a leather supplier that are designed just for this. Rather than pressing the groove in, they actually carve out a tiny, tiny amount of leather.

I have 2 versions... one has a guide built in to the side. You would use that one for cutting a groove 1/2" or less from the edge of the leather.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 74-00.aspx

The other one is freehand, so I use that with a straightedge when I'm further into the leather.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 74-11.aspx

As for body paint - SPRAYGUN.. airbrush will take FOREVA but just make sure your stencils have a lot of extra material around them or you will get over spray!

Spraygun like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-Tip-HVLP-Sp ... 882wt_1156

Will they not make a lot of over spray period, waste paint, and spray stuff around me? I was hoping to be able to travel with it. I'd hate to paint a hotel room red. lol