• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Starting Talon

Guest Brit

Guest Aysel

yes something like those. those plates look nice. the flash always seems to brighten the pictures too much

^_^ Katie

Cool armor :D:D . What material is make?

One detail: the hand strap should not have snaps or rivets.

And give it an aged look by painting or some method of abrasion

I hadn't even noticed she doesn't have rivets on her hand plates. I think I'm going to leave them unless it goes against the standards though. I'm putting a strap on them, so it makes since to me for them to be there.

As far as aging them, I had them darker:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60599354@N03/6848884840

When I put them against the leather I used they were just too dark. I wanted them to stand out more, so I repainted them a lighter color.

From CRL

Hand Strap:

* A metallic strap should encirlcle the hand, going between the thumb and index finger, and crossing the palm and back of the hand.

* The strap should be from three-quarters of an inch to one inch wide.

In my oppinion is a weird "brass knuckles",

I can't see snaps in the images. I can see that around the thumb, although it would be too uncomfortable to wear.

The armor is PVC foam?

Yeah. It's just made from sheets of sintra.

Good job! I was unable to model it well and had to abandon the idea of ​​sintra.

To age it, paint spots and peelings (flaking)

Guest Aysel

must use paints that are for plastic to get them to stay on sintra, I paint sintra all the time, I've even bent plates (boiling water method) after they were painted with the correct type of paint without it cracking or peeling

^_^ Katie

It was really easy to me. I just cut templates, traced them on the sheets, cut them out with a dremmel, and used a heat gun to form them. I'm pretty happy with them considering I've never done anything like this before.

Well the hand plates were bothering me, so I remade them. I have an extra set now. :D

7009804081_4283966e89.jpg

I'm thinking it was something like 1/8th of an inch. That looks right, but I bought it like a year ago, so i don't know for sure.

I am almost finished with the clothing part of the costume. I've been working very slowly, But that's 1/4 of the way there!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for the strips that hang off the belt? I'm hoping for a less expensive option. I've tried gluing vinyl together back to back, but it doesn't want to hang strait.

For the belt:

Leather belt. It is my only suggestion, I tried other things and are HORRIBLE. (in the end I ordered the leather to a leather shop)

Glue parts peel off and look horrible.

Try to find a wide black leather belt at a cheap shop or two less wide and cut into 3 strips and join them.

For the hang off strips:

leather (the same for the belt)

or

soft leather

or

strong "polipiel" (fake leather "fabric")

I recommend you use the same belt or in view you notice the difference from one material to another.

Go to the cheap store and try to buy some black belts. If only one side is black: paint back in black is better than glue (paint a 5 cm zone, wait some days, and check that no fade)

So, I just felt the need to say that I did actually finish this! I had lots of help from friends, but I wore it a bit at Dragoncon this year. I forgot the reference picture for the face so the tattoos weren't completely right, and apparently no one felt the need to tell me to fix the back of my top. These are a friends photos. I take terrible pictures, and I was so excited couldn't stop smiling in most of them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uubergeek/ ... 411580608/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uubergeek/ ... 411580608/

He must have them set to 18+.

So I submitted to the 501st, and it didn't pass. Needless to say, I am extremely unhappy. A lot of work was put into this costume to have it picked apart to the extent that it was. I was told the body paint is inconstant, and the clear bra straps are a no. I didn't want to take the chance of having my top fall down. I know that the face tattoos aren't completely accurate. I would think, with the time that it takes to put something like this on, they could have pointed it out and told me to watch it next time.

These are not my pictures. They're just ones I was able to find on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecloneem ... 598669417/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/selovell/7 ... 99354@N03/

Guest Anonymous

yeah, the LMO and the DL turning down this costume when others have been cleared is really upsetting......especially the way they worded it. they tore this costume apart.

the thing with this costume is it takes l 4 hours to do. so it is not like you can just throw it back on with the changes for new pics...........this should have been taken into account. they do it all the time for mauls.....

i understand we have to have standards....this is the 501st after all. but some people are given alittle power and it goes to their heads......WE ARE A COSTUMING GROUP!!! not the damn military or some ultra elitist club. some people take this way to serious and need to review their words and actions.

they did not have one nice thing to say about this costume.....should have been handled better.

talon44444.jpg

talon11111.jpg

I want to post something that probably didn't get to you.

I want to stress how difficult this costume is, on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd call this an 11, easy. The fact that we're discussing what, for this costume, are small issues, is a testament to her capabilities. With Eva's help and expertise on this costume, I'm sure that she'll be able to knock it out of the park.

This was my closing statement in my analysis of your costume. I want you to understand that your representing the creme of the crop of costuming and that while you still have things to do to your costume it's miles ahead of many of the ones that don't even try for 501st membership. I understand that having a costume kicked back is hard and that you put a lot of work into it to even get it to this point, this happens to nearly everyone (me included) and in this case doubly so since it takes so much to get it all together. My main advice at this point would be to work on the costume pieces that were analyzed first and then try the full body paint submission again. Remember that parts of your costume weren't even talked about, that usually means that they are passable as is and didn't even need to get mentioned. Your boots, glove, armor, and belt weren't mentioned since they are spot on and don't need any work. There are currently only 2 approved Talons in the legion, http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... tumeID=112 and http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... tumeID=112 both would probably be willing to help you with advice on how to get your costume done.

^_^ Katie

It is my understanding that it was stressed that my costume, since it is a new costume to the legion, needed to be PERFECT. I must say that I feel like this is completely unfair. First of all, I don't see how anyone has the right to judge whether a costume is perfect unless you created the character yourself. Much of that can come down to personal preference. The other two Talons are absolutely amazing costumes (better than mine!), but I find things in them that I, personally, do not like. Also, I don't see why the number of approved costumes should determine how "perfect" a costume should be. I have seen many other costumes that I don't understand how they passed, costumes I don't even know much about. Yet, because there are fewer Talon's, my costume must be held to a different standard. I would understand if it was a total pile of crap like some of them out there, but even I, who probably has more problems with it than anyone, can see that it is not. I'm not trying to cause any problems, but that is my view on everything.

Here are pictures just to show that the top does fit, and the straps can be removed. I just felt more comfortable with them there. It has not been altered at all. It was just not secured correctly in the pictures. If the top is too wide, I must point out that making it smaller will make it pretty much unwearable in public. It just barely covers already.

8068868438_f101a71b3b.jpg

8068870857_5de03000b0.jpg

If you choose to wear the clear straps after the submission process, you can, it's just for your submission pictures that they can't be there. I can understand your reluctance to wear the top in public without them.

^_^ Katie

Hi Brit. Congratulations for your suit ¡is fgreat!. Do not get depressed, we all got the NO the first time, I understand you're angry now, but when you calm down and see the opportunity to paint again and send the photos. Ensures your steps before sending pictures of the problematic parts to recruiters for parts' OK before paint again.

Cheer up, you're almost there!

Tip: no strips in your bra... glue it in your skin! search the right glue :wink:

I was told my bra won't pass as is and that I would have to basically remake it. Something about the color and the lines. It is a softer leather, so I guess maybe it's not enough like armor?