• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Capital City Garrison - Darth Nihilus WIP

berzerker

Last fall I bought a complete DN costume off the 501stforums. Upon receipt I was happy with it but further review of CRLs showed that it had not evolved with current standards. I considered selling it but needed to make it approvable first. In the past few days, while working on this costume, I found a renewed passion for Nihilus and decided I would remake all soft parts, current with the CRL and fitting me properly.

This is my journey.

First off, I can't sew. I keep telling myself that because I've never been taught. I can work a power tool and build stuff so I figured the transition would be easy. I make my Darth Maul robes from scratch - 3 times. Each time they were better and I picked up a trick to achieve a look I was after. After Maul, Nihilus was going to be easy.

I started with the sleeves.

The original costume had quilted sleeves using batting between 2 pieces of fabric with stitch lines every 3 cm or so in parallel lines. That would have been the easiest way to go but way to hot and too restrictive for movement. A technique I accidentally stumbled upon with Maul was to make the quilting by ironing a seam, stitching it and repeating the process every 3cm.

wr_IMG_2874.jpg

When I had 14 rows done it looked like this:

wr_IMG_2877-1.jpg

NOTE: this is the inside of the sleeve

the outside has a nice quilted look

wr_IMG_2879.jpg

Measure and cut and a sleeve is done:

wr_IMG_2880-1.jpg

Still working that inner tunic so stay tuned for more on that.

Steps 2 was the robes:

My purchased robes were too short and lacked volume. It was clear they had to flow and be full and flow-y. Much fabric was harmed in the creation of these skirts.

I created each layer separately. The first layer was sewn onto a nylon strap with a plastic clasp (like you'd find on a dog collar - a great dollar store find). Bunching the fabric up on the strap gave the pleated full look I wanted.

The 2nd or outer layer was made similarly but a touch shorter and of a near match fabric but one what was a shade off in colour. I wanted it apparent that there were 2 layers and the colour contrast allowed this.

wr_IMG_2883-1.jpg

A friend sent me this great tutorial on tattering and weathering that he employed on his BH build.

I have yet to run it through the wash but I have nearly achieved the look I'm going for.

wr_IMG_2886-1.jpg

wr_IMG_2889-1.jpg

forgive the dog hair - it'll come out when I wash the fabrics.

Hard Parts:

Overall, I was quite pleased with the hard parts I received in the costume, particularly the mask. Beautiful.

wr_IMG_2896.jpg

Leather looked good too. The belt lacks the 4th set of studs so I'll get those to complete per the CRL even though they won't be visible under the cloak.

wr_IMG_2895.jpg

Lastly, I liked the crown the previous owner created. It is made of sintra and fits my head well.

wr_IMG_2897.jpg

I found that the crown did not like to stay in place with the weight of the cloak so I made some alterations starting with a rare earth magnet system to attach the crown and the mask. 5 points of contact make for a strong bond that can be broken when needed.

wr_IMG_2898.jpg

In order to ensure the cloak stayed on the crown during duels and general cavorting about, I attached snaps to the back side of the crown to keep it all in place while allowing removal for washing or repair.

wr_IMG_2899.jpg

wr_IMG_2900.jpg

On the display mannequin

wr_IMG_2902.jpg

wr_IMG_2901.jpg

I have yet to tatter the cloak and need to find a way to make the knot. I suspect I will fabricate a sewn knot rather than just tie of the ends. My next project...

Looks like you're off to a terrific start (or maybe restart is the better term?) with your soft goods. Sleeves look great :-) Can't really see the shade difference in your skirt fabric but that could either be from the pic itself, the monitor I'm using, or just my inability to see it. :-)

The mask and crown though....not as good. (These are the same problems that've always been present in that particular kit unfortunately)

Mask problems: There are no black jewels on Nihilus's mask. I don't know what the mask maker used for them, so I have no idea how they'll take paint. But they need to match the color of the rest of that centerline detail.

And, while this is maybe more of a personal taste, the two round pieces on the centerline detail are just too darn high on the head. (the top one looks like it's sitting smack dab on top of the head instead of on the forehead.)

Crown: Interesting way to go after the peaked "horn" look, I'd wondered how that was done with that kit.

Here's what I'm seeing as not really working out on it.

That inch or so of black that sitcks up so much higher than the mask detail is too high. It should curl up right there behind that detail and then slowly rise upward toward the back of the head.

The side horns flare too far out. The hood should just frame the shape of your head.

It's also not showing the gather points visible in the underside of the side horns from the artwork.

Thanks, I knew there would be areas for improvement and hoped my ongoing WIP would bring out the comments and suggestions before my submission.

I'll see how I can address those areas.

Alright, we have a pro photo Shoot this Sunday and I hope to have an approvable DN for that event. Please point me where I need to focus to get there.

I used photoshop to enhance the photos to show the contrast required to see details. Hope that helps.

wr_fl.jpg

wr_fl-2.jpg

wr_bust.jpg

wr_bust-2.jpg

wr_face.jpg

wr_face-2.jpg

wr_rl-2.jpg

wr_rearl-2.jpg

wr_ll-2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the photoshop work... that really helps! (It's a real pain to photograph a black on black on black costume!)

I can see that you've made changes, and there is a definite improvement.

To continue the improvement, my first suggestion is a bit more work on the crown foundation. It looks like you've trimmed down that huge lump at the front of the head, but it still needs to go down further. Look at the references, and you don't see a "cliff face" of black fabric behind the silver forehead piece. Trim down that excess height at the center, and the shape of the triangles to the sides will improve.

wr_bust-2.jpg

normal_COTFNihilusMask.jpg

normal_WebNihilusCloseup1.jpg

I would also suggest working a bit more on the drape around the face. It doesn't need to billow out so much. Tighten it down to the knot, and bring the knot up a few inches higher. Doing so will really improve the "indimidating" aspect of the costume, too!

I'm not a big fan of the "little moth holes all over the place" style of weathering, but I've seen costumes approved that way, so it should be okay.

I'm pleased to see that you're still working on this costume, and it'll be great to see it approved... especially if you can get some photoshoot image, because those always bring out the best in our costumes.

The references show that the robes reach the floor, but they are not pooled on the floor. I would suggest shortening them to floor lenth. But even still, be careful on stairs and when people are standing around you. If somebody steps on the bottom of that fabric at the wrong moment, it can be dangerous! (I think that costume was designed so that guys could find out how hard it is to move about in a long dress! Now if we just had a male Sith Lord in stilettos.... :-D)

Good luck,

Pam :-)

Alright, so I took my Nihilus to our photo shoot and this is what came out of it. The lightsaber is a personal creation - sufficient for the time being, though i know not approvable.

APA_501_0195_2011-04-17_20-48-24.jpg

APA_501_0194_2011-04-17_20-47-33.jpg

APA_501_0192_2011-04-17_20-46-12.jpg

APA_501_0191_2011-04-17_20-45-21.jpg

APA_501_0193_2011-04-17_20-46-50.jpg

I had my Darth Maul make-up on underneath as well as my lenses. In the final shot this is apparent. I see myself continuing using blackout makeup around my eyes for future troops and will look to get some all black lenses for the eyes.

Submission pics have been taken but are on a fellow trooper's camera. Thoughts?

I really like how this has turned out. Particularly the slight folds in the inner triangles of the hood. Those are a great touch!

The first picture is quite dramatic and I like it! This is one of the better Nhiluses that I've seen.

Hmm...I posted a note last night, but now it seems to have vanished.

VERY nice work! I look forward to seeing your costume go up on the official approval thread, it'll be one of the easiest Nihilus reviews, ever. :-)

The only thing I can see to even make any kind of recomendation on is to paint the belt studs flat black, to knock down the shinyness of them.

Hmm...I posted a note last night, but now it seems to have vanished.

VERY nice work! I look forward to seeing your costume go up on the official approval thread, it'll be one of the easiest Nihilus reviews, ever. :-)

The only thing I can see to even make any kind of recomendation on is to paint the belt studs flat black, to knock down the shinyness of them.

Thanks,

If the review is easy it's because of the guidance I've received to date. I'll hit the studs tonight to dull them down.

Needless to say, I'm really glad you didn't sell this one after all ;)

Excellent work 8)

That's 2 of us.

APPROVED

My 2nd SL designation.

SL 9223 Darth Nihilus (COTF)

Glad to formally be a part of this detachment you've all been welcoming and helpful.

I just had my virgin troop in Nihilus this Sunday past. It went really well but no voice distortion amp this time.

In truth, I am rather disappointed in it. I has all the attributes of the highly acclaimed Aker 12W amp (same design and specs but no extra audio in jack) but the speaker in it is just crap. It is rated for 3W but cracks and buzzes. It is clearly underpowered for the amp. I am presently looking to gut the speakers from a laptop. They tend to produce good sound. If they work as I hope then I will build them into my crown.

A second issue is that the voice distortion module appears to have a voice activation switch on the motherboard (can't turn it off). Because of this my throat mic won't work with it. I can hide a mike under my mask/blackout but have yet to break one down into it's minimum components to best hide it.

Still working out the kinks on this and will post details when I have something to share, good or bad.

The amp and speaker ought to be easy enough to hide in all of that fabric but hiding a mic sounds like a challenge. The blackout mask is pretty form-fitting but I think it's doable. The viewer's attention is drawn to the white Nihilus mask anyway so that misdirection ought to help.

Putting your speakers in the crown is an interesting idea. They could hide easily enough.