Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • Announcement

    Welcome to the forums!

    If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

    If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

    -DV

Digit WIP Revan


digit
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good Afternoon Everyone,

 

I am newish to the whole DIY cosplay scene. I've got a few items I've made for my kids to make their store bought costumes just a bit better but I have decided to attempt to make one from scratch for myself. My older brother has a 3d printer so I have access to get prints done. I just recently finished a Revan make (not approvable) just to see and prefect working on 3d prints.

 

My mother use to be a seamstress years ago and taught me to sew at a young age and those skills have stuck with me. I have since then taken over her machines (Older, but better built imho than the new ones today. A Brother Sewing Machine and a Companion Sergemate) so the soft parts should not be too much of a problem minus the lack of patterns to follow.

 

I have decided to start my own thread here to show progress, get advice and hopefully be able to pick others brains on this, as no matter how much research I do, I always seem to have questions that I cannot find here or else where.

 

To start with the soft parts, I am stuck on the hood pattern or where to even start with it? The cape and the split skirt should not be a problem as they both seem rather straight forward with box and knife pleats.

 

The Lightsaber, I was able to catch a massive deal from a local source which I am very pleased with as this was going to be my biggest concern / obstacle.

 

I look forward to all and any criticism, advice and anything else that'll help. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I do not like them using the, "501st" in their sales page, this 3d file set is about as accurate to approvable as you will find that I am aware of.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/640115807/darth-revan-501-complete-costume-for?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=revan+3d+file&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

Also, the hood is just sort of.....a modified enclosed hooded cape. Instead of having a full length cape, the front is connected permanently, and the back and sides are cut short and bunched up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m making a Darth Revan costume and I wanted to 3D print my chest plate and vambraces also I’m new to this app so sorry if I’m not going to the right place to ask for help:) but anyway anyone know a good place to find stl files for some darth revan armor? Let me know thanks!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anything worth the time and the accuracy will cost something. As Nina (hope its okay I call you that 🥺) replied to mine, there are a few vendors out there who will have some pretty accurate (with some work!) ready to print files. I've found some mask files ranging from $4 up to $100 on etsy, but the armor files. There is only one I've been able to find and it's the one that has already been posted throughout this forum.

 

Anyway!!!

 

So I started the skirt last night. It's been a while since I did pleats for anything so relearning how to do them with a youtube video playing in the background was rather comical!  I am going with a 3 inch box pleat. I'm hoping to have it done and around the waist by the weekend as kids and work seem to be draining me!

 

QUESTION;

 

The waist is not visible correct? So if I were to take a pair of old black track pants and use the waist portion of those, I should be okay? 

 

 

20220706_180346.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Correct on the waist!

 

Just remember the skirt is a series of box pleats and inverted pleats, so it isn't purely just a fold in the same direction kind of pleat.

 

And yeah, Nina is fine 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I do not like them using the, "501st" in their sales page, this 3d file set is about as accurate to approvable as you will find that I am aware of.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/640115807/darth-revan-501-complete-costume-for?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=revan+3d+file&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

Also, the hood is just sort of.....a modified enclosed hooded cape. Instead of having a full length cape, the front is connected permanently, and the back and sides are cut short and bunched up.



Is the helmet 501st approvable?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I was able to sit down tonight after putting the padawans to bed and get the skirt done. Plenty of YouTube videos, coffee and swearing (due to pin pokes lol) and here it is! 

 

20220709_000818.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the most important part just arrived today! I may have nerded out and squealed a bit when I got it open. 

 

Hoping to work on the rest of the soft parts and get them done as I'm off work for a week starting Friday. Big bonus is, I'll have a extra set of experienced hands as my former seamstress mother is off as well. 

20220712_163114.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you made your split skirt did you make it so it wraps all the way around you or did you make it so your thigh and leg is visible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brent said:

When you made your split skirt did you make it so it wraps all the way around you or did you make it so your thigh and leg is visible?

Im not 100% finished the skirt yet, but Im making it a complete skirt now and I'll add the splits when Im happy with the final hems and everything looks good.

 

I did hit a bit of a snag this weekend when picking up some more material, so I may have to wait until I can get back into the city and get more of the same material. I might try some dye and see where that ends up but I wasnt thinking when I went into the material store without my sample 🤧

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do you add the split? Also that sucks you didn’t have enough I truly hope everything works out in your favor:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Brent said:

How do you add the split? Also that sucks you didn’t have enough I truly hope everything works out in your favor:)

The easiest way to do so is just make 2 separate panels. Then, you attach the panels with a waist band that is worn under the armor. My recommendation is to make a long loop band so that you can feed a belt through it and the excess strap can go back into the loop on the other side. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DarthValkyria said:

The easiest way to do so is just make 2 separate panels. Then, you attach the panels with a waist band that is worn under the armor. My recommendation is to make a long loop band so that you can feed a belt through it and the excess strap can go back into the loop on the other side. 

How do I separate the panels? Do you possibly have a picture I can see for a reference? I’m a very visual learner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, DarthValkyria said:

You don't separate them, you make them separately. So, make one panel with the box pleat, then make an entirely different panel.

Do you have a picture I can see? I’m very visual when I come to learning things. (Also sorry I’m getting back to you so late literally just got the notification that I was messaged back)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Brent said:

Do you have a picture I can see? I’m very visual when I come to learning things. (Also sorry I’m getting back to you so late literally just got the notification that I was messaged back)

There are plenty of resources all over these forums and using google will also lead you in the right direction. 

 

Being a visual learner is great as that how I learn, but to show you pictures of the finished products is a very minor part in the process of getting there, having the proper equipment is a big part as well as the know how on sewing. Without those last two, pictures will only get you so far.

 

 

Back to my WIP

 

I was able to score 8.2m of the proper material today (took in my sample piece to match lol) so I should be able to get the rest of the soft parts finished up this week as I am also off work until next Monday! 🤩🥳

 

My goal this week is to finish the split skirt with hems and a waist, the pleated cape and the hood and caplet.

 

I am also debating making the shirt myself as it'll be a bit harder to match the black of a bought turtle neck shirt to the material I have used for the handmade stuff.

 

I've also been able to get my hands on the armor files so we should be able to start 3d printing them here shortly once we are able to get them to slice properly!

 

QUESTION!

 

Which one is my best at approval down the road? 

mask1.webp

mask2.webp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, digit said:

There are plenty of resources all over these forums and using google will also lead you in the right direction. 

 

Being a visual learner is great as that how I learn, but to show you pictures of the finished products is a very minor part in the process of getting there, having the proper equipment is a big part as well as the know how on sewing. Without those last two, pictures will only get you so far.

 

 

Back to my WIP

 

I was able to score 8.2m of the proper material today (took in my sample piece to match lol) so I should be able to get the rest of the soft parts finished up this week as I am also off work until next Monday! 🤩🥳

 

My goal this week is to finish the split skirt with hems and a waist, the pleated cape and the hood and caplet.

 

I am also debating making the shirt myself as it'll be a bit harder to match the black of a bought turtle neck shirt to the material I have used for the handmade stuff.

 

I've also been able to get my hands on the armor files so we should be able to start 3d printing them here shortly once we are able to get them to slice properly!

 

QUESTION!

 

Which one is my best at approval down the road? 

mask1.webp

mask2.webp

I’m going with the second picture that’s the one that I got approval to go ahead and print. Also I just am gonna use the picture as a visual image/ reference I know how to sew and I have all the tools I need the last piece is to just see someone else’s work then I’ll be good to go

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, digit said:

There are plenty of resources all over these forums and using google will also lead you in the right direction. 

 

Being a visual learner is great as that how I learn, but to show you pictures of the finished products is a very minor part in the process of getting there, having the proper equipment is a big part as well as the know how on sewing. Without those last two, pictures will only get you so far.

 

 

Back to my WIP

 

I was able to score 8.2m of the proper material today (took in my sample piece to match lol) so I should be able to get the rest of the soft parts finished up this week as I am also off work until next Monday! 🤩🥳

 

My goal this week is to finish the split skirt with hems and a waist, the pleated cape and the hood and caplet.

 

I am also debating making the shirt myself as it'll be a bit harder to match the black of a bought turtle neck shirt to the material I have used for the handmade stuff.

 

I've also been able to get my hands on the armor files so we should be able to start 3d printing them here shortly once we are able to get them to slice properly!

 

QUESTION!

 

Which one is my best at approval down the road? 

mask1.webp

mask2.webp

The second one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Minus the belt, the skirt is completed! Now my son is the model and he's a lot taller than I am so please keep that in mind! Lol 

 

I am very happy with how this turned out! I'll be resetting the pleats with water an vinegar to hopefully be able to have a permanent press done. 

 

 

20220718_124540.jpg

20220718_124552.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DarthValkyria said:

It actually looks good on the height! You want it like, right at ankle level with the boots on.

 

I appreciate the feedback! 🥰 

 

Its been a huge worry with each cut I made on this thing. Even tho I always measure 5 times, mark it out, test fit, etc. I'm too much of a "I wanna get this done in one shot" kinda person lol. I've got the old seamstress coming to give me a hand with the hood because I have absolutely zero idea where to start with it! And she use to make all my costumes when I was younger so it'll be nice to have that help and knowledge face to face with me.

 

I'll be starting the cape either tonight or a bit later in the week as we have plans for the Young Padawans to head out a couple days this week for some Galaxy Exploring!

 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, digit said:

 

I appreciate the feedback! 🥰 

 

Its been a huge worry with each cut I made on this thing. Even tho I always measure 5 times, mark it out, test fit, etc. I'm too much of a "I wanna get this done in one shot" kinda person lol. I've got the old seamstress coming to give me a hand with the hood because I have absolutely zero idea where to start with it! And she use to make all my costumes when I was younger so it'll be nice to have that help and knowledge face to face with me.

 

I'll be starting the cape either tonight or a bit later in the week as we have plans for the Young Padawans to head out a couple days this week for some Galaxy Exploring!

 

  

Dude my jaw is dropped absolutely beautiful! You did a fantastic job on it congratulations:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...