• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mikado’s Grand Inquisitor Build

Mikado

Greetings!

I am the Inquisitor. Or rather, I will be when this build is done!

I’m planning this build for approval in both the 501st Legion and Saber Guild. If the costume is approved in SG, then I will be the first G. I. in the club! Note that I am going for a Level 2 costume.

Here is where my progress stands so far:

I plan on purchasing the files for the armor from JMS Props. A friend will print the armor, and help with the electronics, while I will sand and paint the armor myself.

I already have the boots on order, as they are identical to the boots for my Han and Luke costumes.

I plan on buying the belt from MagMel Creations on Etsy.

What I need recommendations on are the gloves, soft parts, and mask.

For those of you who finished this costume, who made your soft parts? I plan on commissioning them.

Where did you get your gloves? The CRL states that for Level 2 certification the gloves must be chemical gloves in grey.

Who made your mask? I need one that not only will last, but will also not impede my vision (at least not too much), and of course be able to move my lips.

Thank you for reading! Any recommendations and input is greatly appreciated. May the Force serve you well!

Hello! 

I’ve got a finished Grand Inquisitor costume so I’ll be happy to help with what I can! 

I do wanna give you a heads up that the Inquisitor CRL will be updated sometime in the near future. I’ve been working with updating it myself and the changes has been approved recently. It’s not any big changes really just adding “boot rings” to the boots instead of the armor greaves, as well as adding a level 2 requirement for the lenses having some red in them, not just yellow. Wanted to let you know about this now, so you don’t finish the costume and the CRL suddenly changes and you need to redo stuff. You can read about these changes in the CRL development/update section on this forum. 

now on to your questions:

soft parts: I ended up making my own soft parts. Im in no way a professional in sewing, but some stretch jersey fabric and a cheap singer machine did the trick! But as mentioned there is Amion costumes who has made a inquisitor set before, Though I don’t know what the quality and accuracy is like personally. There is also many costume makers you probably could commission soft parts from if you wanna go that route, as far as I know there’s no one who makes a set that you can just buy straight up.

Gloves: I went with leather gloves since I couldn’t find any rubber gloves in grey that didn’t have a bunch of grip textures and logos. I currently use a pair of military style grey leather gloves, I think they’re called mil-tec or something like that. They have a pretty simple design, but they are padded since they’re winter gloves, so in my opinion they’re a little bulky (and warm) for the inquisitor, so I’m probably going to switch gloves eventually.

Mask: I use a silicone mask made by WulWhiteWorkshop on Etsy. It is definitely durable and I feel I can see very well out of it. You can move your mouth in it, but you won’t get that perfect mouth movement like in a 500-1000 dollar silicone mask, but I think you definitely get your money’s worth since this mask is only around $200. I’m personally considering making a prosthetic makeup for this character instead, to get some more realistic movements, but I haven’t fully figured that out yet. 

also I can totally recommend the armor files by JMS props! It’s what I used and I think it looks great. I can also recommend splitting the neck armor from the chest and down the middle and then use magnets to quickly get it on and off. 

if you have any questions, send me a message anytime! Always happy to talk inquisitor! 

I do believe I have pictures of my costume on my build Thread on here, if you wanna see examples of the armor, gloves, etc.

if you wanna see the movement of the mask, I believe I have a video of it on my Instagram @moldwarped.

Sorry for the giant wall of text! 

//Malte/BH/CC-20009