• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Something new, Padawan Ventress

ladyb

I'm working on this one, just for fun.

389px-Republic60.jpgTACSLEUcoinfr.jpg

To clarify, it wouldn't be a 501st costume as at this point she is a Jedi Padawan to Ky Nerec fighting the good fight, but as the Flagship feels like home for Asajj I wanted to share here.

It might be able to get into the RL, but we'll have to see.

Right now I'm sewing the Tabbards/Outer Tunic and skirt and Michael is working on the belts and saber hilt. I'll post pictures as soon as I have some of it together. :)

Guest Sakara

ooooooooooh!!! fantastic. cant wait to see this completed.

Hope RL take it as im sure itl look great.

Guest Daritha

Nice costume choice! I'm looking forward to Jedi Padawan Asajj Ventress. ^^

I would love to see her in the RL. For me, she is in this stage like Anakin Skywalker. A Jedi yet but a fallen soon. Does this costume has three sources?

Yes, that is true about Anakin. In the comics Obi saw her as very much like Ani without Qui-gon to help. It has 2 sources that I'm aware of, the image above and the 30th anniversary EU coin. The images from the origin story itself are a simpler outfit. If someone knows another source that would be great.

I would like to submit it to the RL, we'll see. Pictures coming soon. :)

Guest Daritha

Right, I remember Obi-Wan said something like this during his "Obsession". ^^

Wish you luck with the sewing of this costume. I'm thrilled to see well-known characters in official yet rarely seen costumes. :)

Getting close on this, will be posting images in flurries. One thing I could use some help on, well Michael really; anyone have any ideas on how to form the upper portion of the saber (not the emitter but just below that). Was thinking maybe some leather wrapping, but unsure, not a lot there:

PadawanAVsabre.jpg visual space AVPtunicRough.jpg

Next to it is a rough of the tunic/tabbards/obi and skirt on our homemade mannequin.

Guest Daritha

About the saber hilt: It's difficult to say. From my POV its either some thin leather wrapped around (faux leather could do it) or these are some wires or cables from the saber itself (like heatsinks).

The costume itself is looking good but are you sure about the fabric? Isn't this a bit too shiny? I always thought Ventress was wearing leather (or leather-ish fabric) exclusively. Just a question. In general, it looks very promising.

In a flash photo it is shinny, but based on the reference I wanted something with a high specular (highlight) in low light, was going for more of a silk look as she was a Jedi at this point. Leather would be a good one for this too. Looking at the tears, how there seems to be raw fabric hanging out of them and the manner that it wrinkled I wanted to try this fabric out for it. 'll have Michael get some without flash today. :)

BY the way, if anyone has any good ideas on how to skillfully make the rips and burns so it looks legit do tell, we appreciate any insight there.

Its not nearly so shinny without flash. The stuff on the top of the mannequin's arms is regular duck tape and that won't be part of the costume, just part of our do-it-yourself mannequin. It is very shinny.

The new wraps and finger wraps (also Flash, it was late last night, not much light)

pvArmswraps1.jpg

pvArmswraps2.jpg

Guest Sakara

The best way to create the torn areas is to pick at the thread weave until it starts coming apart....this gives you control over the tears. the burns...well depends on the fabric. If its natural, then it will burn with nice scorched areas visible. if its synthetic then it will just melt.

Thanks for the tips, I'm getting closer. Michael tried out some burning on a scrap piece:

burntest.jpg

I've also got the upper arms wrap things together too:

UpperArmWraps.jpg

Michael got all the belt stuff riveted together last night, I'll probably have a full image of the suit tomorrow. :)

Guest Daritha

BY the way, if anyone has any good ideas on how to skillfully make the rips and burns so it looks legit do tell, we appreciate any insight there.

I had some good experiences with a cutter knife and a candle when it comes to tear and burn my Starkiller in the right form. Of course, this just works with wool fabric. Synthetic fabric will jut wrinkle and stink.

I used a candle light and burned the edges of the fabric which added a nice soot to the gray fabric straps. With the cutter knife, I just criss-crossed the fabric parts and teared a bit and cut again. It gave the fabric a nice touch.

However, I don't know if this works for your fabric too.

Thanks. I think a candle will be good for getting some smoke into areas and stuff. :)

OK so, I got in the inner tunic last night:

AVPinnerTunic.jpg

As noted Michael did the belts a little while ago:

AVPBelts.jpg

and now I'm getting it all together, hemming and roughing up the skirt now.

Alright, We got her put together, photographed, and submitted. When she gets back I want to try some things with the battle damage, but for now this is what we have:

AVP_Front.jpgAVP_featured2.jpg

And thankfully she was still able to smile after all of it :)

AVPsmile.jpg

LOVE IT!!!!

WOOU!!

Me gusto Mucho!!!!

Nice work!!

The fine folks at the Rebel Legion concur. The costume has been approved.

4829-A.jpg

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=4829&bu=%2Fbase.php%3Fb%3D92%26i%3D1%26s%3Dc&bl=Takodana+Base+costumes

:D

Guest Daritha

Whoa, that was quick! And even RL-approved yet! That is some service. *g* But your costume earns it, it looks fabulous!

thanks for all of you kind words and support. I was glad to get it together for CV. The Rebels, while curious about my costume, were rather accepting and supportive.

"Asajj was a Padawan?"

"yes"

The skirt has too many seems, and I think a leather or lither-like materiel might be better. Hopefully season 3 of Clone Wars doesn't rewrite her history too much in telling her origins and I can make the fixes and perhaps troop in it more. :)

Either way, now shipping:

BritaInPackageSm.jpg

Standing in the hotel lobby watching people's double-takes when they saw your costume will be one of my favorite CV memories. Planning hair jokes, watching the veterans approach curiously but cautiously, meeting more people we formerly only knew by screen names.... what fun!

Very nice job on this costume. It was great to see it in person.

Pam :-)