• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan Boots Weathering?

Mawty Momas

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could provide some advice on how to give the Revan boots the Level 2 silvery-gray weathering. I followed Darth Cephalus's video on Youtube, which recommended getting Kiwi shoe whitener & applying/wiping it off of the boot to give it a "buffed-in" appearance. Mine came out looking too white. Am I able to save this with shoe black, & how can I improve the look?

Thanks so much for any help!

thumbnail_thumbnail_Resized952020062895121324.jpg

thumbnail_thumbnail_Resized952020062895121345.jpg

thumbnail_thumbnail_Resized952020062895121355.jpg

thumbnail_thumbnail_Resized952020062895121402.jpg

On 7/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, DarthValkyria said:

Hopefully not too late, but I think these look just fine. 

KUDOS on the square toe!

Unfortunately, my local GML advised that the boots were too white, so I've been in the process of re-blackening them. So far, it seems to be giving off the kind of battered color I've been hoping for. I've also since had a cobbler remove the straps at the top of the boots at the GML's request. It's gradual, but they're coming along. Thanks for getting back to me!

On 8/4/2020 at 3:09 PM, Mawty Momas said:

Unfortunately, my local GML advised that the boots were too white, so I've been in the process of re-blackening them. So far, it seems to be giving off the kind of battered color I've been hoping for. I've also since had a cobbler remove the straps at the top of the boots at the GML's request. It's gradual, but they're coming along. Thanks for getting back to me!

Just to clarify, they are having you remove the "pull on" straps at the very top? the part of the boot that is hidden by your pants? that no one should ever see anyway?

is this standard or is this particular GML just being SUPER picky?

On 10/2/2020 at 3:07 PM, tattooed_pariah said:

Just to clarify, they are having you remove the "pull on" straps at the very top? the part of the boot that is hidden by your pants? that no one should ever see anyway?

is this standard or is this particular GML just being SUPER picky?

I had to remove the "pull on" straps. In fairness to the GML, the CRL does state that "there are no visible laces or additional strapping outside of the single strap matching the reference images". No biggie, the cobbler did it for free, he just wanted to keep the leather strips.

12 minutes ago, Mawty Momas said:

I had to remove the "pull on" straps. In fairness to the GML, the CRL does state that "there are no visible laces or additional strapping outside of the single strap matching the reference images". No biggie, the cobbler did it for free, he just wanted to keep the leather strips.

That is intended to be when the costume is worn, not the individual boots by themselves. 

This is the part of CRLs that I don't enjoy, as they are interpreted differently but every other GML in some cases.

DarthValkyria hit my point exactly.. the way it's worded implies so long as they aren't seen while your are in costume, it's ok..

In costume, I'm not going to be hiking up my pants leg, so why should it matter what at the very top of my boots?

I totally understand if it's visible or bulges and detracts from the appearance, but I can't see that being the case.. 

I should get my Revan kit next month, we'll see if I get dinged for the same thing..