• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

WIP: Darth Nihilus COTF (Italian production)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys...

this post is going to be very long so have a seat, relax and enjoy this message!!!!

My name is Davide, i'm a 17 student and i come from italy!!!!!!

i have the dream of enter in the 501st since i saw the italica garrison the first time during a convention...

as you have probably understand i'm here for a Darth Nihilus COTF costume...

i started to work on it last year and since now it comes as a good project...

i know that i have to be 18 to join the 501 (right????) but i want to compleate my costume in time so this post will be also a wip section...

Ok after this i think i can start.....

my costume is compound of:

1)inner tunic

2) Kimono (i don't know the right word in english)

3)Long Clock

4)Cape not attached to the cloack

5)Mask with a black under mask and eyes black lenses

6)boots

7)gloves

8)Lightsaber

The following are pictures of my work in progress:

36204914.th.jpg92739637.th.jpg12418946.th.jpg

85560861.th.jpg55907337.th.jpg20086247.th.jpg35651270.th.jpg

82165016.th.jpg89866695.th.jpg64149152.th.jpg

71341232.th.jpg54591737.th.jpg12193387.th.jpg63253440.th.jpg

th.88d845f8c0.jpgNihilus_Lightsaber_002.jpgNihilus_Lightsaber_003.jpgth.adcc5936cd.jpgNihilus_Lightsaber_004.jpg

nihiluslightsaber004.th.jpgnihiluslightsaber002.th.jpgnihiluslightsaber003.th.jpg

Then here there are the lightsaber pictures:

nihilussidedark.th.jpgnihilusfrontdark.th.jpgnihilussabervertsidedarh.th.jpg

nihiluslightsaber001.th.jpgnihiluslightsaber005.th.jpgnihiluslightsaber002.th.jpg

Ad then the pictures of the compleate costume:

nihiluscompleate0132202.th.jpgnihiluscompleate00201.th.jpgnihiluscompleate003.th.jpgnihiluscompleate006.th.jpgnihiluscompleate007.th.jpg

So Nihilus's expert...here there is my costume (i suppose this is the first in Italy)

I would like to know what it's right and what it's wrong...what i have to change and what i have to keep...

But first and most important thing:

thank you to all of you!!!!

Greetings for Italy

Davide

Great start!

Can't really see all the details in your pics, but from what I can see, I only see a very few things that are not quite right yet.

1. Layers at the legs. Remember, Nihilus has 2 layers of skirts in this version, with slits running from the bottom to the belt area. Looks like you're missing 1 bottom layer and the slits. Can't make out the layers for the upper body at all. Looking for the appearance of 3 layers of tunic.

2. Length. The skirts and cape should sweep down and come very close to the floor. (related, but more of a taste thing, your cape could be a little fuller)

3. Knot. Can't see the knot for the cape at all.

4. Quilting on the sleeves, the COTF costume has quilted padding on the sleeves like what you see on Darth Vader's costume.

And recommendation: More tattering! In a lot of the pics, the tattering looks kinda blocky, like it was cut with scissors instead of like wear. (hit it with a stiff bristle wire brush or cheese grater, it'll pull the material apart more and give you a more natural tatter pattern.

Guest Anonymous

So thank you for the first posting...

to solve the problems that you have just showed i'm going to:

1)make again the clock and the inner tunic...this time longer that the one that i have...i have to take the measurements with my boots on...

2) buy and put some quilt (do you know were i can ask for some of it)

3)Lot of tattering

and here some of my question:

1) the hood and the clock should be attach???

2) which version of the mask is best for the COTF?

This:

dn12.jpg

or The one that i have in the pictures on the first topic??

3)should i have to use different type of cloth for different part of the costume???

thank you again guys

So thank you for the first posting...

to solve the problems that you have just showed i'm going to:

1)make again the clock and the inner tunic...this time longer that the one that i have...i have to take the measurements with my boots on...

2) buy and put some quilt (do you know were i can ask for some of it)

3)Lot of tattering

and here some of my question:

1) the hood and the clock should be attach???

2) which version of the mask is best for the COTF?

This:

dn12.jpg

or The one that i have in the pictures on the first topic??

3)should i have to use different type of cloth for different part of the costume???

thank you again guys

Yes, make the skirt and cape much longer, and making the measurements while you are wearing your boots is important. They should nearly touch the ground.

To quilt the arms, you can use a product called batting or wadding. You can get it at many crafts or sewing stores. It comes in different "lofts," which is how tall and thick it is. You can use alow loft for the arms, or a medium if it's not too high. You put the batting between two pieces of your black fabric, and then sew the lines through all three of the layers. The batting will lift up between the sewing lines, giving the puffy quilted look.

This is the trick that Scott used to give his hood and cape the right look: First he made a cape that came over his shoulders and hung down in the back. Then, he attached a second piece of fabric to his mask. This fabric hangs down all of the way to the ground in the back, over the top of the cape. He took the corners of the cape AND the hood and attached them together in the front to make the knot. So, the hood reaches all of the way to the ground AND makes the cape look like it has a LOT of fabric.

CapeTurnarounds.jpg

For the masks, I think the top one looks very flat, and the edges are not very rounded. The bottom mask looks more rounded and more like bone, but the black stones are wrong. If I had to choose between the two masks, I would use the bottom mask, and paint the stones to the silver color that they should be.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Ok guys...

just 2 weeks ago i decided to re edit again my darth nihilus to the version 2.0 and trying this time to give him a more professiona look...

and i have to do it in time for the star wars in concert here in italy (27th of may) and for the star wars contest at the yavicon convention....

so here i am...

let me explain you the mains mod that i have done in this 2 weeks...

for economical reasons i cannot afford the different mask showed above so i decide to repaint the one that i have already...

it was an hard job but at last after 2 weeks i'm nearly to the end...

so what i did is:

1)sanding all the mask compleatly and removed all the old painting

2)pait of shiny black the undermask and the eye zones with a professional airbrush and i made three coats of paint....

3)did the same of point 2 for the white skull face with a mix of shiny and opaque white...

4) re make the red lines with a beautiful red more intense like the one that was there

5)re paint the part in the middle of the mask (i don't know how to call it) of a special metallic grey....(once again three coats of paint)

6)paint with grey and then with transparent the special oval stones in the middle

[do you think is better paint them with a silver paint or leave them as they are in the pictures???)

as soon as i'll finish compleatly the mask i'll re edit my first message with all the pictures of it...

in the meanwhile here there are some pictures of the wip mask...

img5596p.th.jpgimg5595.th.jpgimg5594.th.jpgimg5597.th.jpg

hope to hear you soon guys!!![/img]

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys...

even if you don't hear me it doesn't mean that i'm not working on my dn...

in this weeks i have finished my mask and i have worked on the horns...

the result is fantastic...maybe i can say that i solve the problem of darth nihilus's horns...

here what i've done:

nihiluscorna002.th.jpgnihiluscorna001.th.jpgnihiluscorna003.th.jpg

then thanks to pam i figured out which fabric buy...

i found this on ebay and before buy i would like to know if this is the good one...

(In italy it's impossible find it so i'm going to buy this fabric on ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 2759.l1259

so, is this the fabric from where i have to start???

thank you again

Davide

Guest Anonymous

Hi Guys...

it's been a long time since my last post...but i got wounderful news.....

i had an hard period....

Family (BIG) problems.....Money problems...and at the end even school (F**K)

but between a tear and another one i always checked my nihilus....

it was very hard....

and i did all by myself....

i got a lot of lucky....my uncle bring the special fabbric that i need form canada....and with some help i did it....

Ok first big change:(made 2 costume!!!!!)

KOTOR VERSION

nihiluskotor001.jpgnihiluskotor003.jpgnihiluskotor004.jpgnihiluskotor005.jpgnihiluskotor009.jpgnihiluskotor008s.jpgnihiluskotor007.jpgnihiluskotor010.jpgnihiluskotor011.jpg

What i have to do in order to compleate the costume at 100% is:

1)put something on to cover my face and put some fabric on the mask's nose holes to cover them...

2)put some silver on the mask's orbs....

3)fix the crown

4)put something in order to attach the mask to the crown...

COTF VERSION

(For now i can say much about it just enjoy the pictures of the new mask!!!!)

nihiluscotf002.jpgnihiluscotf001.jpg