• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Researching for Nihilus CotF

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Wow...gotta whip out the sewing machine again, that´s for sure. :)

I just have a couple of quick questions to start off (which I didn´t find after a quick search).

To sew all the different layers of robes and shirts... do you use any templates of sort? I saw from the "guide-website" that shirt templates and ninja-type templates where used. But which? Or do you just sew what you see?

I know parts of the costume are hidden in reference pics, so I´m guessing a little creative freedom is allowed:)

How many yards of fabric (give or take) goes into the costume?

How have you done you knot? Just a regular type knot, or something more fancy?

How tall "should" Nihilus be? I´m about 5´8" (177cm).

And lastly, for now, are there any makers doing masks, horns and sabers? Like with other costumes. PM´s are welcome if that´s the case.

I´m sure I´ll have loads more questions further down the line, but I´ll keep looking at threads as well.

Cheers,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

Hi there... im BH8403 from the Mexican Garrison and building un a Nihilus too, i can tell you, that you will find here like almost 15 or more people that made their own mask, you can search for then in the 3 pages on the Nihuilus threads

About fabric... i bought over 10 mts (hope that is enough) and im just 1.70 m high ^_^

about the knot... i DO have the same question.... hope i helped you a little :wink:

As long as the final result looks right on the outside of the costume, you can design the costume in many different ways. The hidden parts don't matter! You can make each layer a seperate piece, or you can combine layers together, as we did with Scott's costume, to help cut down on the amount of cloth you have to wear.

It takes a LOT of fabric to get the right look for Nihilus. You want to look like you're wrapped in many yards of fabric. You do NOT want to look like you have a tight black towel wrapped around your waist. He's a spirit who doesn't have to shower anymore, afterall!

This is the fabric that we used.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/8 ... _silk.html

We ordered two of the 11-yard bolts, and we used almost all of it. The robes and cape piece are pretty heavy, but it really gives the right look to all of that flowing fabric!

normal_DNs.jpg

For the knot, we cheated. First we sewed the two pieces of hood fabric together so that they would be secure. Then we wrapped a small piece of fabric over that to give the appearance of a knot, and we sewed the fabric in place. The "knot" is permanent, and won't ever come apart!

You can see here that it looks like a regular knot, but it isn't!

NihilusFlames.jpg

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the input! I´ll be ordering fabric in a months time or so.

I´m also in touch with a guy on another forum that may help me make the belt.

Gloves I know where to get, now I just need to find the facemask, boots and saber, although I might have a place that can make me a saber.

Guest Anonymous

I´m looking for some input as to which of these two masks to get.

These are both masks I found on the 501st forums.

pics017.jpg

l_44902cb24bbb4342a97f4b2f8a1caadc.jpg[/img]

Honestly...in my opinion, neither.

The top one has a couple pretty bad problems.

1. the inset area where the red stripes go.

2. the areas on the forehead and the top of the head appear to be empty. My guess is that this is the mask that was made by the person who tried to convince everyone that there were black jewels in the Nihilus mask. (there aren't.)

The bottom one.

The ridge top detail doesn't seem to be complete.

The whole mask looks off...

Guest Anonymous

Hmm... the two issues you mention on the first mask are easily fixable at least, and of the two, I find that it is the one with the most "accurate" eyes. Nothin a little filler won't take care of. And for the price I can afford to experiment with a little modding on it.

Those are the only two masks I've been able to track down online. Unless you want to do a commision job for a mask and crown? :-) Hehe.

I too felt the lower one just didn't look right and that the top part of the centerpiece looked all wrong.

Thanks for the input! Always appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

What about sculpting yourself a mask... believe me, the process is slow, but the results are great, and the satisfaction of making your own mask :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I would if I could. Getting the right materials and having a place to do it would help. But sculpting and molding materials aren´t readily available in Norway, like in other countries.

As for fiberglassing, not something I´d want to do in the livingroom. Hehe. Sadly, I just don´t have the facilities to make my own.

On the other hand, I´ve gotten hold of a mask, just waiting for it to be finished. It´s none of the above mentioned ones though:)

Guest Anonymous

Just a little update/heads up.

I´ve paused my Nihilus for a little while. I´m leaving for Afghanistan in July and will be there for six months. I´ll also be away the coming 3 months training for the misson, so I really won´t have time to work on until I get back.

Watch this post for updates when the time comes though:)

Just a little update/heads up.

I´ve paused my Nihilus for a little while. I´m leaving for Afghanistan in July and will be there for six months. I´ll also be away the coming 3 months training for the misson, so I really won´t have time to work on until I get back.

Watch this post for updates when the time comes though:)

Yikes! Be safe, and we'll look forward to seeing your return.

Pam :-)