• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Dragon*Con 2009

Twi'lek Pam

Guest StungunMoy

Wonderful! :) I'm just extremely excited to see more of you next year! Maybe I'll muster up the courage to actually approach some of you. For being dressed up as a Nightsister, I sure can be shy sometimes! Thank you Thomas for your excellent commentary and great company at DragonCon! :) You sure do know how to make a Nightsister smile!!!! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful! :) I'm just extremely excited to see more of you next year! Maybe I'll muster up the courage to actually approach some of you. For being dressed up as a Nightsister, I sure can be shy sometimes!

LOL! Don't worry, I'm exactly the same way. Does't matter which costume I'm wearing, I still have a lot of trouble fighting the shyness issue. First I can't easliy walk up to people when I see them. If I do manage to approach them, then I have trouble opening conversations. And if I do manage to talk to them? Then there's the challenge of trying to look people in the eye..... eep!

Someone recently mentioned the dichotomy of my costume choices because I wear costumes that attract attention even though I'm obviously afraid of getting that attention. I think that the shy issue is a big part of the reason why I go for costumes that stand out a little. I enjoy the challenge of making difficult costumes, but I've also learned that eye-catching costumes encourage other people to approach me, so I don't have to be brave and go to them. I don't have to approach people, the conversations usually focus on how I made the costumes, which I have no problem talking about... and since I tell myself that it's the costume and not me that is getting the attention, I feel a bit braver. Costumes, the ice-breaker security blanket for the shy!

Maybe we can find a nice big curtain or tablecloth to hide behind at CV. We can chat while we peek out at all the brave people strolling by! :-D

Pam :-)

Guest StungunMoy

Maybe we can find a nice big curtain or tablecloth to hide behind at CV. We can chat while we peek out at all the brave people strolling by! :-D

I like the way you think ;) Sounds like a plan!

And YES! I know EXACTLY what you mean with the shyness issue related to conversation and topic ABOUT your costume VS. about me as a person. Anyone who asks a personal question usually gets a nice blank stare in response before I slowly back away ;) Darn my social coward and awkwardness! :) I'll get a random urge of bravery, but for the most part..I feel like silence on my part is best, especially when the voice associated with me is VERY mild and timid. I got a lot of laughs when I was speaking in my Nightsister costume, because my voice is so timid and high compared to what anyone would perceive a Nightsister to sound like. AHH!!! :) I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it! Maybe i'll just implement your curtain idea into a mobile device so I can take it anywhere and everywhere.