• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Ventress in NC

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and reading what I could find to help me in building my Ventress. During that time I've also gathered up the things needed for it and taken a few pics on my progress. I currently reside in North Carolina, in the Carolina Garrison and have a Boushh that is already approved with the legion. I wanted to branch out with another character that is more 'up-to-date' with today's crowd and a little more recognizable and AOTC Asajj just hit that spark in me. :D

I'm trying to get her done by September but in order to do that I have to find someone willing to help with the bald cap. I've asked within the garrison but I was curious if there was someone on here in the area that might have some pointers or something.

Thanks and looking forward to critics, pointers, etc. :P

Lisa

Guest Anonymous

Good to have another Asajj in the 501st.

You know the bald cap was not as hard as I thought it would be. I just watched and read as many tutorials as possible. There is one on this site if you haven't read it already.

I even applied it myself. Took about an hour.

Make sure to bring spirit gum along for re-application though!

Guest Daritha

Hy Lisa and welcome aboard. You will do fine here, I'm sure. ;)

I currently reside in North Carolina, in the Carolina Garrison and have a Boushh that is already approved with the legion.
When you are already a 501st member, you can get the "501st Member" status here (link).

Guest Anonymous

You've come to the right place Lisa.

I look forward to seeing your progress, both here and on the Garrison site.

Your Boussh rocks btw. :D

Guest Anonymous

Thank you all for your welcome. I've been a little busy sewing and finally got a couple of pieces to the point of trying them on and seeing what needs to be adjusted. Here's a peek with pants and boots as well..

DSCF3216.jpg

I have pattern pieces drawn up for the collar now and will likely work on that and the wrist wraps next. Waiting on rubber mold stuff to arrive in a few days so I can try my hand at casting the buckle then I can get the belt done next as well as working on the bald cap application. Weee! :P Definately having fun with this build.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks all. I've been taking a couple of days off from Asajj to hopefully get a few others worked on.. Kids have me working on outfits for them for an upcoming anime con and have a padme I'm helping someone with on the same time frame.. owww my fingers. :P

@ladyb - yeah, Im doing the AOTC concept version. I like the lines of it and the leather shoulder/bracers on it. Just looks alot cooler than the others. No offense to other versions!

I currently have the collar and bracers done.. I just need to get a pic done with them on. Stuff arrived for casting the buckle and I have a clay model of it worked up. Just need to get back to work on it again.

Thanks again guys,

Lisa

Yes, the lines on that design are really quite nice.

Good luck with casting the buckle. If for some reason that doesn't work I'd be happy to share how I made mine if you like the look of it. (see thread help on new Ventress).

Guest Anonymous

Ok Ok.. got a 'few' update pics here.

Got the mold and buckle done up today and the belts last night. Not sure if I like the bracers as they are.. might tweak them a little bit and maybe add some length to them.

Bracers.jpg

Belts.jpg

Buckle1.jpg

First pull had too much moisture in it, which caused too much surface bubbling sooooo...

Buckle2.jpg

Take 2. Waiting for the rain to clear so I can paint it up and see how it comes out.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah. I was looking at the reference pics again after uploading mine. There's a couple that have shorter ones but overall the length should be closer to the elbow. So, today's projects will be to finish up the buckle. Have to clean up the edges a little bit, get it painted then fit it in with the belts. I'm doing the criss-cross pattern and will probably use a small bit of velcro on the back and a couple of spots on the belts so it will stay fitted when I'm wearing it but easy to take off when I need to undo it. I'll post pics afterwards. Other project will be fixing the bracers.

On another note.. How many times can a woochie cap be used? I have about 3 weeks till the event I want to wear this at is due but my biggest worry is the cap. I probably should order a couple more for just in case huh?

Guest Sakara

caps can be used only once each time im afraid. after makeup is applied, and then when its removed the edges are damaged beyond being used again.

I always had a spare with me in case

Actually, I would have to politely disagree with you Sakara. I have been able to get 2 uses out of one cap, but did have to do a little bit of trimming off the edges in a few spots. If one is really careful, you might be able to get 3 uses out of it but probably no more than that.

And I totally agree, always have a spare because they can rip when you least expect it :roll:

Guest Sakara

if you managed to do it i commend you as i find they look aweful afterwards...theyre over stretched, effected by the makeup and the edges are too thick to blend well! :D

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys. I was worried that it was a one time, possibly two time a wear thing so I went ahead and ordered a couple more from the theatre shop. The first one will likely end up as a practice one for me and my girls (they're getting wrangled into helping me. :P ) to work with and get the feel of putting the make-up on it and me.

I'd used my cap 3 times and it is still in decent shape. A spare would certainly be a good idea, and the edge and making sure not to stretch it seems to be important.

I agree about the vampbraces, they really should come to the elbow.

Guest Sakara

ahh could be that i prefer glatzan to latex ..that i find the galtzan though gives a better surface is only good for one use. latex might last a bit longer.

ahh could be that i prefer glatzan to latex ..that i find the galtzan though gives a better surface is only good for one use. latex might last a bit longer.

Could be, the one I have is latex, and I had Shawn's (SL_6942) expert help to airbrush on a nice skin-like surface.

Keeping all that in mind I did shave after a makeup catastrophe as not to have to cancel for a Relay for life I was headlining so I haven't worn the cap for a few events.

Sunset%20City%20Fun%20Days%20-%2007-25-09%20-%20042_disp640.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Ack! I don't think I'd ever be that brave as to shave my head! Hopefully it'll never come to that. :)

More update pics. :D

Bracers2.jpg

Tweaked the palm area and added some length so they came up closer to the elbows.

Buckle3.jpg

Cleaned up some spots on the buckle and got it painted up. I used a textured dark grey under the nickle color.

Belts2.jpg

Fitted onto the belts. I had concidered using velcro on the backside of the buckle to help keep the belts from moving but it turned out I didn't need to. The whole thing just slips over my head. :)

Greysabers.jpg

Ultrasabers that I had painted up a gunmetal grey. I let them sit for a week or so while I concidered the color and finally decided to change it to...

silversabers.jpg

Nickle silver

finishedsaber.jpg

Attached some very thin pieces of craft foam to help with the grip and give them the banded look.

Next update should be the full thing. The bald cap is kind of intimidating me. lol So we'll see how that goes. :P

Guest Daritha

Looks really nice to me ... but are the ... uhm, handwarmers (if this is the propper name) aren't a little big? Are they made out of latex or rubber?

It looked like PVC to me, but do tell Lisa what they and the belt are made of.

As far as the end of the vampbraces the part over the back of the hand does seem much larger than any reference. What were you going from on that part of the design?

Guest Anonymous

The belt, bracers and the collar I made are from a lightweight pleather that I got from the fabric store. The design I went with is from one of the source pics under the AOTC concept version. I think I may need to fuss with the palm part a little more.

Ventress_Wrist_Wraps.jpg