• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Ventress - Lightsaber Questions?

tk6232

Hi there Lads and Lasses!

Another new Ventress in the making - I've already lined up my boots, fake-up, neck-seal - so I just have to make a pattern for the bodice, belts and the skirts (should be fairly easy) before starting the hardest part - the damn sabers!

I'm trying to find two Force FX Maul sabers, so I can modify the handles. Has anybody else done this?

Good luck with that, I think several of the already aproved Ventress' have done something like that, though I'm not sure if they were adapted from darth Maul's saber, other vfx ones, or entirely custom made.

There are a lot of different variations in the design of her sabers, but the consistant thing is the curve. When attached together they form an S-like shape like the one on the bottom here.

250px-Lightsabers_negwt.jpg

Mine were made by my father and husand for me.

sabersSide.jpg

AsajjBald.jpg

Well, my sabers are in the mail - and quite frankly it would be impossible for me to get any more excited!!! :D

I've done a mock-up of my neck seal, and it should fit the bill. I've managed to source some non-shiney PVC "pleather" type stuff, so I'll give that a shot and see if it works.

I've now just got to do the final run of the vambraces, and somehow make myself a belt that I'm happy with.

In any case, I'll hopefully get some time to do some progress photos this week and would love hearing back from everybody!

Cheers!

Jacqui

Well, my sabers are in the mail - and quite frankly it would be impossible for me to get any more excited!!! :D

Sometimes I think that's the best part about costuming... every time a new package arrives in the mail, it's like Christmas all over again!

Pam :-)

Okay, I'm totally curious, which sabers did you buy?

I had considered the possibility of modifying a Maul saber set, but when I took a look at my friend's Maul sabers I decided the straight hilts were just too long for my little hands.

I was just surfing around to see if anyone had come up with Ventress sabers yet, especially since Hasbro is releasing a FX Dooku saber and Ventress is more in the mainstream due to the new Clone Wars, and I came across this by Ultra Sabers LLC: Tempestdualsaber.jpg

The website is http://www.ultrasabers.com/product_p/uk-tempest.htm

These really look cool!! They have a coupler to join the 2 hilts together, so you can use them separately or as one 8) I think they would need some customizing to make them look more like Ventress' sabers, but this is the closest thing I've found readily available at a decent price. I must say I'm very tempted to spend money I don't have... :roll:

That does look like a nice set, is anyone familair with the options for blades on one of these?

If anyone buys one, do share your impressions. :)

I can recommend Ultrasabers

ultralogo8sl.gif

Their apprentice class sabres are simple, solid work, with well researched materials. A very reliable light prop suitable for personal customization;

DC_XXII176.jpg

Kristen (seen here without hulahoop--gasp) and myself with a blue Ultrasabers Apprentice hilt and blade.

Their custom work requires tyme and money and patience. This is natural for good work.

DarthBaneRSX.jpg

I am very happy with my Darth Bane special effects comics styled hilt. (I still plan to make my own.)

Ultra Sabers is not the only game in town and many others provide comparable services. However, they are well established and five different sabres from their line later, I'd say your order with Ultrasabers is in good hands.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Sakara

ultrasabers..oh yes i bought a set of their apprentice sabers to convert into Asajj...but along the way managed to get a friend to make me my sabers as you see today.

id still recommend Ultra though, for good blades, good tech and good customer service.

I had scoped out all the electronic supplies in order to make my own, but I simply dont have the time at the moment - and I need to have everything completed by August.

So... I'm getting the Ultrasabers.

It should be fairly simple to modify the hilts to make it a little more Ventressy.

As soon as they arrive (and I stop giggling, and clapping, and acting like a hyperactive child on christmas morning) I'll take some pics and post my totally unbiased review. :lol: Erm...

At some stage down the track, I'll get a soundboard to pop into both hilts to make that lovely intimidating hum.

Anything to scare the local Jedi...

Well, they arrived!! And I couldn't be happier!

They're actually brighter than the FX Vader saber that I have, so I'm a little impressed. The only thing they're missing is the sound effects, but I'm sure I can find a sound board somewhere that will fit the bill.

Still yet to do the final vambraces or neck seal - but my bald cap arrived so once I get a free weekend I'll post some progress shots.

3558261610_bb74888045.jpg

Looking good. If you find that sound board do tell. I seem to remember the reason UltraSabres don't have one is because they couldn't find one that would fit and they didn't want to compromise the design.

Still yet to do the final vambraces or neck seal - but my bald cap arrived so once I get a free weekend I'll post some progress shots.

Good luck with those. The neck armour was definately one of the trickier things on mine.

I've been making TK neck seals for a fair while now, so I'm getting good at making customised sizing for necks, etc. (Some blokes have HUGE necks, btw!)

I started playing around with some concepts for the 'folds' in the neck seal last night... What have other people done? I've done a fold with a row of stitching on the top to flatten the pleather out a bit, otherwise it looks really bulky... The other option was to have several layers, or flaps of pleather so that I get the same effect....

Sakara - Thank you! That's actually the image that I'm modeling my whole costume on!

We tried a couple different things, pinching a loop in the material, doing it in layers, etc. I thought to use some fish tank tubing, but it seemed just a touch too thick. What I did to give the ribs some thickness in the end was sew a line on either side of the rib and put some elastic of varying sizes my husband sewed into tubes for me. That gave me the look I wanted.

Guest Daritha
I started playing around with some concepts for the 'folds' in the neck seal last night... What have other people done? [...]

For example went to a lecture from a professor with a HEAVY American accent ... oh, and sleeping - but I think your's was more fun. :D

For all who can't get an image of the Sideshow Asajj I linked one up. Hope that is the white girl you are talking about?

Asajj%2BVentress%2B1.jpg

Guest Sakara

i made my gabot (neck brace)by making each section separately and sewing them together, top stitching each seam

Wow - ok. I've had my poor Asajj in the wardrobe for WAY too long...

Christmas is a killer.

I've made some slow progress with the neck brace - sewing a test brace from a lovely floral material - leaving all my Garrison buddies thinking that Asajj has gone all soft and fuzzy!

I think it's now time to start the real deal.

I'll try and get some new pictures and post them up soon.

:) Moxxxie

- sewing a test brace from a lovely floral material - leaving all my Garrison buddies thinking that Asajj has gone all soft and fuzzy!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

j/k ;)

Excited to see pictures.