• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Total Scatch Build, Looking for patterns

NikeV

Hello I'm Nike!

I'm looking to do a scratch build, but I can't find any patterns for anything other than the mask. I'm pretty sure I could free hand everything but the chest piece. Help?

Bracers are fairly easy any medieval style with a clamshell design will work.

The cuirass falls into th​e same category you could probably use a European cuirass for a base and modify that pattern. I did a quickie pattern for the hard part then had my girlfriend draw on the cuirass the design from the armor as seen in game, I will be making the ridges out of craft foam.

The hand plates were fairly easy as well. I did mine differently from what MWA does, mine are designed to be used on the appropriate hand. I used samurai armor as a reference.

Hello!!

I would have posted a lot sooner but had to wait to get approved onto the forums :)

My 501st approved Revan was all hand built from scratch! 

I am more than happy to coach you through any particular piece -- particularly the chest armor atm?

Were you planning on having a back piece as well or just the front? This is important because there will be different ways then to attach the armor.

Unfortunately, my Revan was being built for an indie web/tv series and I never took any process pictures lol 

So I will do my best to explain without them :)

Remember - this is just how I made my chest piece and what particularly worked for me!

This is a quick run down so plz feel free to ask any questions!!

~ Reference Photos: make sure to have a lot of reference photos on hand (I found these super helpful-- http://mywickedarmor.com/costumes/revan/revan.htm )

~ Free-handing Patterns: create the basic shape of the chest piece by making a simple paper pattern (if you don't have large paper handy, news paper can work fine too)

--- you will cut and trim accordingly as you practice 'trying it on' and seeing if the paper chest piece forms adequately around you.

--- remember: you are making a base patterns first - detailing comes later!

Think of it as building a cake - you want to start with the actual cake then add frosting, sprinkles, and candles later!

--- idk why I just referenced cake 

~ Choosing Materials: what do you want to build your armor out of? I made all of my armor, including the mask, out of a thermoplastic known as Worlba. 

--- if you are not familiar with the process of Worbla it's a bit to explain but basically I cut out two Worbla pieces with my chest piece paper pattern, added a matching piece of craft foam in-between the two Worbla pieces, and 'sandwiched' them together to give extra durability and thickness! 

--- once the Worbla was shaped to my body (using a heat gun) I started to pattern the chest piece details.

~ Adding Details: You can pattern the details in any way that works (again, such as paper patterns) just as long as both sides of the chest piece match up and are identical. 

--- after my details were patterned out I used Worbla again to make the designs (Worbla is self-adhesive so when heated up Worbla sticks to itself - no glue necessary!) ((Worbla looks and feels like cardboard until you heat it up with a heat gun - it then becomes pliable like putty and can be shaped into anything - dries hard))

This obviously doesn't include adding armor attachments, painting, adding clasps etc. Again, just a quick run-down to give you a general feel (at least how I did mine! lol) 

Plz feel free to ask any questions  -- hope I was somewhat helpful haha

2_zps3hpfiyac.jpg

Glad to see another scratch build!  I made my armour out of foam initially, then covered it with worbla.  I applied gesso, sanded, and painted it. 

Revan%203_zpsiswzprfc.jpg

I created most of the patterns for the fabric parts, but the pants pattern I modified from an existing Hakama pattern. 

A friend of mine made a mould for the mask (we had started sculpting it years ago), and I cast mine myself.

My best advice is to start sketching your own patterns.  Once you get something you can translate to foam, make a foam mockup.  The nice thing about foam is that it's cheap.  After that, you can use it to translate into whatever medium you choose to build your amour out of.

Thanks guys! I'm going to be starting my patterns today, so I'll post updates soon ^-^

At the moment, I'm planning on using resined cardboard and cording for the chest pieces and sintra/foam for everything else. I'm more comfortable working in sintra, but I feel like foam would be more the effect I'm looking for

Quick question. How "feminine" could I make my chest plate and still be 501st approvable? I'm not thinking anything crazy, just working with my curves rather than trying to make myself look flat.

Quick question. How "feminine" could I make my chest plate and still be 501st approvable? I'm not thinking anything crazy, just working with my curves rather than trying to make myself look flat.

No more than what Revans really would be. Basically your own bodies proportions is what we potentially use to base theirs on.  Really we are trying to replicate what is seen in game not our own interpretation of it :) I hope this helps my friends!

I'm a girl and I used a chest binder (from Amazon) -- it helps a lot more than one would think!! As far as soft patterns go I made my own patterns so not sure what is really out there. One option is to modify an existing pattern.