• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Bane, post Dxun WIP

The Clone Emperor

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

As always, amazing work. I love the bone-like shapes you've worked into the "cage" of armor around your face. Just incredible.

*applause*

So, now there will be a fifth orbalisk. Is that like a 5th column? Will it be plotting insurrection against the other orbalisks?

Sorry, just a random brain cell firing...pay me no mind.

Thank you fellows.

When I began to fit the assortment of Orbalisks already produced on my torso casting, I found that I needed at least one more size to achieve the look (and articulation) I wanted.

DarthBaneP09.jpg

I have been noodling on the piece above for three weeks during my train commute to and from work. I feel it is just about ready to cast.

This is the fifth separate sculpt I've made of the little guys. I think I might go back and sculpt the underside for this one as well.

Be well,

Thomas

I have been keeping in trouble, since last I reported on this project. Today I'd like to share a step in my progress.

DarthBaneP10.jpg

It is difficult to envison just how Darth Bane's exotic body armour would come together as a lifesized, wearable costume, especially when it has never been done before. Experience has taught that the best way to achieve a feel for the final piece is to start putting the parts together. This test configuration is held in place with Elder pins.

Even though it may appear I am in the home stretch with this extended project, it will be extended a bit further. I feel the weight of Darth Bane's disappointment, glaring at me from behind his unpainted face mask in the corner of the room. Truth is, I am now diverting my energies towards a secret project, hopefully to be revealed later this year.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

:shock::shock::shock:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

He maybe glaring at you, but we're all lookin' at him with our mouthes hanging open!!!

FANTASTIC work, Sir!!! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Guest Anonymous

SWEET! Looking awesome. You're working on a secret project? Cool. Can't wait to find out what it is. :D

Guest Anonymous

Looks amazing, even just pinned together! :D

Can't wait to see what the secret project is :)

Guest deogeo
:shock::shock::shock::shock: Dude, this is absolutely awesome! I couldn't believe it when I first looked at it. You are a man of no limits Thomas, awesome job as usual mate. Can't wait to see the finished product.

An update;

image78.jpg

Inspired by the deadline set by the 2008 Rebelscum Halloween Costume Contest, I turned my focus to arriving at a wearable version of my beloved Darth Bane costume.

I consider the image above to be a test fitting of the work in progress, with several components left to fabricate and others to finish. I so look forward to having a new suit to wear to events next year.

Be well,

Thomas

Hoooolllllyyyyy sssshhh******************tttt ......that looks amazing!!!!

::picks jaw up off floor::

I'm speechless....which if anyone knows me....is a very hard thing to do....phenomenal!!

Do you have that in high res? With permission....i'd love to have a printout of this for my cube @ work.

Man, that's a lot of work! :shock:

Wow!

I'm especially intrigued by the Orbalisk weathering. May I ask how you solved that?

This is way beyond anything I could come up with (but I probably won't stop trying :P ).

Fantastic work, Maestro.

~ BC

I appreciate the support. There's still a long way to go.

Izzie, the image above is 600 by 800 pixels. I am ashamed to admit that after an hour and a half of trying poses with a self tymer, only three images had descent focus emerged. I am still not sure what I did wrong. I had only a few hours to make the deadline and the above image worked well enough for my purposes. Feel free to print that, but again the suit is FAR from finished.

Bill, the Orbalisks are detailed with multiple flavours of Rub 'n Buff, applied by fingertip. Comes in a surprising array of colours;

DSC02146.JPG

DarthBaneP05.jpg

I'll be sure to post updates as I strive to complete this suit. Until then, I leave you with a snap from the project archives;

HabanBaneHaban2007.jpg

Be well,

Thomas

PS

I heard from Drew Karpyshyn last night. There will be a third book in the Darth Bane series. He was almost apologetic for having the second installment end with Bane losing the Orbalisks. Drew explained he could not envision Darth Zannah ever defeating Bane with the armour in place. I myself am quite OK with the turn of events. It is how you move the story forward and develop a character.

Thomas, thank you for the info on the rub-n-buff, and for the close-up of the queen "O." It has fantastic symmetry but retains the random details of nature.

I love it.

I will pick up some R&B and play with it. I may even put on some Alicia Keys while I do. 8)

~ BC

Guest Anonymous

Darth Bane in the hot tub! :lol: That's great.

I saw the head gear a while back. You don't shy away from difficult projects, do you? It looks great. And I love the trilobite-looking things. Nice details!

Darth_Bane__MMIX_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

Good afternoon,

I bring a teaser image of my EWIP*, Darth Bane, Architect of the Sith. It is hard to describe how much of myself is in this suit. I chuckle to think how much cannot be seen and assure myself that it is all worth while.

This image was taken at 5:00 am today, with just enough juice in the camera for 6 images. More images to come as the project develops.

Be well,

Thomas

*Eternal Work In Progress.

Guest Anonymous

:shock: Wow. :shock:

The long time spent on this project is clearly paying out. Your effort and craftsmanship are rendering me speechless!