• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Noob - totally in love with Mara Jade

Guest jenicle

Hi!

I'm new to the wonderful world of Star Wars costume-making and cosplaying, and have realized that this is something I need to be a part of.

After speaking to a relatively new acquaitance (who has a clone trooper getup, and is a member of the Nordic Garrison), he showed me some pictures of Mara Jade, and I just fell in love. I have to make this outfit! But I don't know where to start...

All the tutorials on here are fabulous, and being semi-handy with a sewing machine, I think I'll be able to craft some of the gear myself. But some parts of the costume, like shinguards, weapons, harnesses and holsters, I'm more unsure of again. Could you please give me some pointers as to where I should start?

I would greatly appreciate any help you have to offer!

Thanks in advance :-)

~Jenny

Guest PeppiPopcorn

Hi Jenny,

I finished my Mara Jade (black bodysuit) in April.

In my opinion it's always good to start with the most difficult parts. Mainly, because when you notice it doesn't work - you haven't payed so much money at that point.

So, do you have the right hair color? - If not - start with the wig!

(There was a time I wanted a Juno Eclipse costume - fortunately I stared with the wig - because I look really horrible with blonde hair ;) )

Next point: What's very difficult - the bodysuit. Take your time to find the ideal material. Some medium-sheen-four-way-strech-stuff. For me the "strech" is very important. And get some more stuff. Maybe you're lucky and the first try is ok, but especially when you're sewing skills aren't the best - you should prepare to need a second try. Most important: consider the pictures in the CRL!

Nothings worse than fail at maybe one seam - and having to start again :(

Then the other parts:

If you want to custumize things like the silver connector, the shinguards, the buckle or maybe the cape clasp on your own - go in with this.

If you don't want to do it on your own - or you're "technically not gifted" like I am, you can have a look at the forums - there may be people who can help you.

Things you can do adittionaly or at last are the glasses and gloves. Look after them on amazon or ebay.

That's the way I would do it - if I would do it again.

I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions - just ask ;)

Greetings from Germany

Laura

Guest jenicle

This was very helpful, Laura! Thank you very much :)

As I usually have my hair dyed red, I know it will work. I'll probably just get some clip-on extentions for added volume and length :)

I just ordered a sewing machine, and will get started on the jumpsuit next week (I hope).

I've already been in touch with someone regarding shinguards and connector, so as of right now, my biggest headache is where to find a nice blaster, and where to get leather for the harness and blaster holsters. Hopefully there are som good local stores around.

I might be in touch as soon as I hit a rough patch (bound to happen pretty soon :P)

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Jenny

Guest jenicle

I have a question regarding boots - will black leather ridning boots be ok? As they usually have conservative heels, few seams and little to no adornments, they seem like a logical choice... Any thoughts?

Ok, so I got started. And then I kinda finished as well. Filled ut an application to 501st and sent in pictures, but I thought I'd post them here as well...

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/jenic ... ara%20Jade

Let me know what you think :)

-Jen

The pictures look good. :)