• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Stinkapes Nihilus Approved...

Guest stinkape

Guest stinkape

Just got all the parts now have to make belt and weather the robes! Thanks to woodman for the mask and robes!! can't post pics will try again late r :D

Guest stinkape

So, I sold some stuff off and thanks to Woodman's crafting, I purchased a Darth Nihilus Costume. Some more work to do on saber and weathering just wanted to start a WIP..

858522_3012453607038_1967187255_o.jpg

307410_3000623831301_1523522153_n.jpg

548608_3000624671322_2007632830_n.jpg

420219_3000625551344_1671529525_n.jpg

823594_3007961854747_1449977085_o.jpg

72644_3007962334759_1564661730_n.jpg

856591_3012394605563_311744123_o.jpg

318173_3003037491641_1247281268_n.jpg

823555_3003253017029_1242067991_o.jpg

A lot more weathering to do... :shock:

So far it's looking pretty good. Some of the pictures are a little blurry though and it's difficult to make out some of the detail. Do you have the quilted padding on the arms? I can't really tell from the picture.

Look forward to seeing the whole costume together!

Cheers,

Nef

Guest stinkape

Yes the pics are inside on my cell phone can't flash in mirror . The arms are quilted.. waethering taking a long time, but will be worth it. layering 3 colors on fabric takes time..

thanks will keep pics coming as i get closer..

Thanks again !

Guest stinkape

Weathered some more, got a black out mask ..that is taking some getting used to :shock: . Waiting to place belt studs, then weather lower skirts . Some small twearking to be done but off to a good start I think.. Approval pics soon I hope ?? I know there is a many small details that have to be just so with Nihilus..

Enjoy..

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

More to follow..time to :zzz:

Guest stinkape

question for all the experts can i weather the mask on the silver part to bring out the details in the silver part of mask ? I am sure he sog it dirty with his evil and killing ?? what are your thoughts ?

Hi,

Yup, you can weather the silver on the mask. We weathered Scott's mask when we painted it with a dark brown tint, and the effect is great. It really brings out the layers of the silver piece.

wp2dfd0a9e.jpg

I don't know who started the "paint the holes and edges of the tunic gray" thing a few years ago, but I do wish people would refrain from copying that. It doesn't look like worn-out clothing to me, it just looks like he was walking around in a dusty room and using the bottom edges of his outfit as a dust mop.

Pam :-)

Guest stinkape

Thanks for the info, and the grey weathering will fade out once it gets washed..Thank you for the help again !! :D

More to follow

:)

Something you might want to consider is making sure your neck stays completely covered. For my friends nihilus I made him a collar with a bib attached. The collar is hidden under the blackout mask and the bib covers up any area if the tunics shift. I made it out of leftover fabric from the robes and it blends together quite well. Just measure your neck, add four inches to that measurement, then cut a rectangle that length by six inches wide, fold it over, sew the ends together, cut another rectangle flap that's about a foot long and about eight inches wide for the bib. Sew the bib into the open side of the collar then finish sewing that seam all the way. Then sew about two inches of Velcro onto the ends of the collar for the closure. Just remember to put the collar/bib on second when getting into costume, right after putting on the inner skirt and before the inner tunic.

The other thing I would suggest is the one thing my friends nihilus got held up for, and that is the hood. Make sure the fabric stays close to your head and that it doesn't flare out to your shoulders. That's as simple as adjusting the capes while you're getting into costume.

Guest kimballk

The bib one the front of the blackout hood is a good idea. I have one on mine.

Can you do a close up shot of your head? When I was getting mine approved, the hardest problem I had was getting the hood to come down close enough to the mask.

Kevin

i don't have the bib attached to the mask, it's on a collar that the mask goes over.

this is a shot of me wearing my friends hood to demonstrate that it was just a matter of putting it on the right way.

hoodcheck_zps8859b44e.jpg

what i did to take care of the "cobra effect" was to basically wrap both layers of the cape around me, then adjust the outer cape on my shoulders first, then adjust the inner cape. it give the straight drop and flow over the shoulder look that all the lmo's are looking for.

Guest kimballk

It's hard to see with the shadows, but from that it looks pretty good.

Lesson learned when I went through the submission process with mine (and you'll be going through FLG same as I did) extra pictures aren't a bad idea. Make sure you've got good lighting and ANYTHING where you think they may have issues seeing correctly (for me it was the hood and the quilting on the arms) submit close-ups.

Kevin

Guest stinkape

Ripcode the gloves are OLD damaskus style I used for my TI and IC Leather..

Thank you for the kind words will do the bib I have a neck seal from my TK that I can use as a template... Cant wait to get some more work done on this !!Will post up pictures when I do...Thanks again all !!

Guest stinkape

More Weathering, second test fit maybe appoval pics soon ?

DSC01229.jpg

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01233.jpg

DSC01234.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01240.jpg

DSC01241.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01244.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01246.jpg

Some major tweaking but coming along. Got to have 2 people to make this look right..

Guest stinkape

Just submitted pictures... I know the saber is not accurate but will work to get a more accurate.. or mod it out to look better...

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

Looking good, but one thing you might get held on is the hood around the mask. It should drape inwards more. The fabric comes inward towards the mask to give a thinner look to the fabric drape. Other then that, it's a great costume! Good luck with your submission!

Cheers,

Nef

you do have the cobra hood affect going on. what i figured out was when putting the cape/hood on you should wrap it around you then adjust the cape coming off the hood over your shoulder first, then adjust the other cape. it'll frame your face much better.