• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

WIP COTF Nihilus

DisposablHero

Just thought I would get this started. I'm beginning my first Nihilus build, CoTF style, and thought I'd get a WIP thread started both for advice and motivation. This is my first attempt, hell only my second costume. My first is an ESB Fett that is nearing completion.

Here's my progress* so far on Nihilus.

Gloves: Received

Boots: Received (mid calf leatherish)

Belt: Received (black studs, black belt blanks)

Mask: Received (and looks great!)

Crown: Received

Cloth for Robes/Cloak: Received (raw silk)

Cloth for Sleeves: Looking

Blackout Mask: Ordered

Lightsaber: No budget for it now. For the mean time I will use my Vader saber and possibly hand-build a hilt at least.

*not much for progress, lots of bills to the credit card, nothing in hand yet.

In the coming weeks I'll post up items as I receive and/or complete them. If anyone has any advice/info I would certainly welcome it. I'm on the lookout for suppliers for the saber and the crown as things stand atm. I am intending to follow the excellent tutorial that Pam and Scott have created and following that as best I can. Looking forward to getting started working on it and getting some pics up for you guys before the end of the year.

Hey man im new as well and currently finishing up my stormtrooper for centurion status. Seems like your off to a good start! I also ordered a mask from Scott (which is amazing!) and also got in contact with a guy for a crown.

I've been looking at thrift stores for used boots and gloves since I will be making a COTF Nihilus and the used items will already look worn and it will be way cheaper than buying new stuff. Look forward to your progress.

I've had zero luck in thrift stores for boots, they always have awesome boots for women for jedi/sith but for men...yay work boots and rubber boots.

Here's where I'm getting my boots from, they're not leather but they look right and the price is good:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/001844.php

I've gotten a hold of the crown maker, just waiting on some measurements from him to see if the thing will fit even remotely. I have a stupidly large head, my BM helmet barely fits.

*EDIT* I would not really recommend these boots now that I've received mine and tried them out. They're not the worst I've ever seen, and for $50 who can really complain, but they are sloppy fitting ( in my case still over larger even though I ordered a pair that I was at the high end of size-wise). In the end I may just end up wearing my leather workboots since all you can see is the toes while walking.

First post updated. Work should begin in earnest next week (I've set my costuming goal for this week to be to complete my jetpack for Fett) and hopefully I'll get some pics posted up as I go.

Thanks Nef!

I'm hoping to make it to Edmonton's con in the fall. Seems like that would be the first opportunity for me to meet up with the Alberta crew.

It's a shame you won't be able to come out to the Calgary one. Looks like it's going to be a blast! The Edmonton one is run by the same organizers though, and it's already going to be double the size from last years. It is a really great con and I hope you can make it out! I just moved to Edmonton a few weeks ago too, so maybe by the time the Expo comes around I'll be able to show you cool places around the city with the rest of the 501st gang up here.

It's also nice to have another Nihilus in the garrison finally too!

Cheers,

Nef