• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sith Acolyte

Guest TK-7100

Are we going to adopt anything from the CRL they posted on the 903rd board

http://903rd.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... thread=267

Regardless, I'd like to know how to do the black wash effect on top of silver. Anyone have any good tips?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aysel

there's a couple of different things you can do to get that look, one is adding a couple of drops of black paint to some windex, spray it on, let it dry. or take a rag spray some black paint on and start wiping. or spray it on take a rag and start wiping it away. It really depends on how much black you need, and you can find many weathering tutorials on youtube

^_^ Katie

Guest darren1970

I've used the same method as Aysel mentioned above for all my clone builds. For the acolyte however, I've applied weathering using a drybrush method. More time consuming but I feel I have more control to get the 'dirty metal' look.

Guest darren1970

Now to the cod/ab section.

As it started.

cod1.jpg

Half way through ( looks really bad )

cod2.jpg

The end product

cod3.jpg

More to come shortly.

Guest darren1970

Some major modifications made this weekend.

My mum altered the hood of the robe ( shortened and attached differently ) so that it hangs a lot better.

The abs section and belt are done and I've padded the forearms.

torsotest3.jpg

Darren

Now to the cod/ab section.

cod3.jpg

More to come shortly.

Looks great!

I wasnt sure if I wanted to trim the top of the ab off like you and TK 7100 did because I didn't know if I wanted a big gap between my ab and the chest piece. But since both of you guys are doing it I guess I probably will.

Guest darren1970

I got some work done on the leg armour.

The thighs are trimmed and glued together ( although I think there is still some 'cut-out' sections to remove, plus a greeblie to scratch build ).

thigh-1.jpg

The first of the calves is also trimmed, glued and filled. It needs a bit more filler work to remove some of the surface dents.

calf1.jpg

With the instep and ankle cut-outs I can actually squeeze my foot through with the calf fully enclosed, so both the inner and outer seam are filled.

More later

Darren

Guest darren1970

A quick question on the thigh armour guys.

Is there a cut out on the inner top edge as I've drawn below?

thighcutout.jpg

Darren

Guest lperea

I think that the thigh has not the cut. I seems more a shadow of the detail of the piece.

piernak.jpg

You´re doing a great job with the armour. Envy is strong in me :D

Guest darren1970

Finished and painted one calf.

I reckon it's the sexiest looking leg armour in the SW universe.

calfarmour.jpg

Also made the first of the 'Sith greeblies' for the thigh armour.

thighgreeblie.jpg

Guest TK-7100
I think that the thigh has not the cut. I seems more a shadow of the detail of the piece.

piernak.jpg

You´re doing a great job with the armour. Envy is strong in me :D

What your looking at are individual "plates" that make up the armor. The HD phots I have, the Sith and Jedi armor are made up of "pieces" is the best way to put it. There's really no way to actually replicate it unless you cut up all the armor along the lines and reattach them. No way to actually do that, which is the reason why I added detail black lines to simulate the spaces on the parts.

SithWarrior11.jpg

Even the elbow is technically 2 seperate pieces...

SithWarrior20.jpg

The TOR armor (even for Havoc) are SO heavily detailed. Makes you wonder how SW went from overly detailed armor and weapons to....the plain TK..lol.

The best comparison to the Sith/Jedi armor is old Knight armor.

But black detail lines will do just fine. :D

Guest darren1970

Test fit with all of the armour parts ( except the elbows, butt plate, boot armour and finger armour ).

This is the first 80% costume test and still needs a little tweaking ( padding in the HUGE calves, moving a few pieces a little etc. )

DSCF0029.jpg

And a very moody, Sith pose LOL

DSCF0035.jpg

It's starting to come together I think.......

Darren

Guest darren1970

OK, so found these boots.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of them.

2361SWATMocPullOn1.jpg

Darren

Guest darren1970
_Jaster":q0y0j4dn]They look pretty good mate.

Excellent.

Now back to the eternal question LOL

Vader arms, black or grey?

Guest TK-7100

Both the Jedi and Sith have the same suit (with slight mods). The sith is also all black, just some of the lighting shows as a grey. Stick to black.

**sorry...I removed the pic**

if you want a good pic bud, PM me an I'll shoot it to ya.

A lot of pics I can't post.... sorry. My bad.

Guest darren1970

The .38 ammo pouches arrived yesterday.

The backs folded, so I cut them and glued them flat with e6000 to lower the profile.

These are now velcro'd to the belt assembly.

IMG_0496.jpg

Also played around with padding in the legs and forearms. I think it looks a little better.

IMG_0495.jpg

Darren

Guest Anonymous

I am personally going with these Sketchers Orsens because of the profile of the shoe. The boot sole shows a gap between the heel and forefoot.

62929-blk%20blaine-orsen%20black_1.jpg

You can get them here http://stores.ebay.com/101-Amazing-Shoes/_i.html?_nkw=orsen&submit=Search&_sid=106290088

As far as the arms, please post some pictures. Every single HD picture from the trailer and in this thread make the arms look grey.

Guest [RBG]_Jaster

Thanks for sending me the pic TK-7100 but it's of the Jedi which we know is black.

I still have not seen any definitive proof that the Sith have black sleeves.

We see the Sith and Jedi under the same lighting conditions and still the Jedi looks black and the Sith still looks grey so it's not the lighting.

Untill I see otherwise I'll be going with grey but it will be the last piece of the costume I do.

Guest TK-7100

Don't let the lighting on some pic fool you. Trust me, it's black.

Sith_Filigree.jpg

Plus all the CG models are all copied from character to character. I sent the Jedi one, being it's the best HD look at the entire arm.

Plus, if you solely went off the lighting on the CG....you'd paint the armor black..lol

SithWarrior19.jpg

Guest darren1970

Finger / thumb armour ( and belt cannister kit ) arrived a few days ago. Cheers Chris, I've been looking forward to this part.

fingers1.jpg

Cut the shapes in the backs to fit my fingers and painted them.

fingers2.jpg

The left hand is complete. I have small hands, so needed to slightly trim the front and back of the handplates ( as well as heat and bend them in slightly ) so that I can get the finger pieces to clear.

fingers3.jpg

Used e6000 as the adhesive for the finger/thumb and industrial velcro for the handplates

Darren

Guest TK-7100
Chris, what adhesive dod you use to attach the finger/thumb pieces to your glove mate?

I just use Zap ....that stuff will hold a bumper to a truck pulling a trailer! lol...serioulsy tho...that stuff is nasty! My hand plate is even glued on too.