• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sith Acolyte

Guest TK-7100

Guest Anonymous

Glad that the trailers are being used as the definitive source. I bought one of the Gap jackets since they are $29.99. I'll take pictures and upload them if I can for a comparison. I think I'll have to add additional stiching to get the 1 in quilted bands, but the price for the cloth is decent and I think it's a close match with possibly some lightening.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest darren1970

I'm planning on getting 2 layers of fabric with some wadding in between and stitching lines every 1" apart.

I'd be interested to see how your jacket looks though.

Good news.........my Acolyte mask is at my local post office depot :D

Guest darren1970

I got some work done on Wolfgang's lovely Acolyte mask today.

It's had a few coats of silver, the black central piece added and I've done the first pass of weathering ( I want this bad-boy to look 'ancient' ).

mask5.jpg

I've got some fabric that I can see through ( reasonably well ) that hides my eyes, so once the weathering is finished I'll be trying that in the eye holes.

Darren

Guest [RBG]_Jaster

Yeah they should do fine mate, the logo on the back of the hand will be covered by the hand armour anyway so they should look great.

Guest darren1970

Thanks Jaster. That's another small piece of the puzzle :D

Updates on the mask......

Second pass of weathering done.

mask6.jpg

Mesh installed behind the mouth vents

mask7.jpg

Tried a 'novel' approach for the eyes. Narrow aluminium mesh covered in stretched nylon ( for a matte effect )

mask8.jpg

And a quick test fit to show the 'black' eyes ( yes that is a towel on my head :P )

mask9.jpg

I can honestly say that it's the warmest headgear I've ever worn. I'm gonna sweat buckets ^,^

Darren

Guest darren1970

A very productive birthday spent at my mum's house ( she's an ex-dressmaker ).

Managed to get quite a bit of the Acolyte robe put together. I think she's done a great job getting the fit and 'hang' of the robe from the Jedi robe tutorial and the screen caps I gave her.

robe2.jpg

Just hope that the fabric passes the mark with our garrison GML.

More to come.......

Darren

Guest darren1970

Quick question guys.

I reckon the mask looks far to big on a person of my frame. I'm thinking of buying one of Wolfgangs smaller versions.

What do you think?

Quick question guys.

I reckon the mask looks far to big on a person of my frame. I'm thinking of buying one of Wolfgangs smaller versions.

What do you think?

Sorry to say it - but I would agree, it's not quite "bobble head" size but it does look a bit too big in that photo.

Guest [RBG]_Jaster

Yeah I think tht might give you a better look, with the shoulder armour under the cloak to give you a bit of width the small mask should look better,

Cloak is looking good though, mine is being made, hope to have the mock-up ready to test out soon.

Guest Anonymous
Quick question guys.

What do you think?

What size did you buy and how tall are you? I ordered the medium myself, but I'm 6'1 and wear a 44 jacket with a 16 1/2 neck. That mask does look huge on you though. At least you won't need a neck seal :D

As an unrelated aside I ran across this clone trooper tutorial that is amazing and uses some great armor techniques.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/c6-clonetrooper-tutorial-build-head-toe-113062/

So what is the verdict on the red striping for the cloak? Painted or sewn on?

Guest [RBG]_Jaster

I'll be painting mine on, it looks all one piece in the vids nothing sewn on.

Plus painting it on you can give it that weathered look you see in the videos.

Guest darren1970

Contacted Wolfgang about the smaller mask. I'm 5' 8" so I reckon the smaller size will look better.

Anyhow I'll keep the regular sized mask whilst I continue with the rest of the build ( and I'm sure it'll make a nice display piece ).

Better news, my GML like the fabric choice and the robe so far. Hoping to get that finished this week ( and my armour is on the way ) :D .

D.

Guest [RBG]_Jaster

I could be wrong but from what I understand is, that as it doesn't have a CRL as yet it will be up to the Flagship Eclipse DMO to decide if you costume is up to standard not your GML.

You still submit everything to your GML but he then forwards it on for approval etc. If this is incorrect could someone please clarify.

Guest Anonymous
_Jaster":2zu6mjmx]I'll be painting mine on, it looks all one piece in the vids nothing sewn on.

Plus painting it on you can give it that weathered look you see in the videos.

Paint is also what I am going with. If you look at the hem of the sleeve it is sewn in a way that paint is the only way to get the "look". Just got my robe in today, and I'll probably burn some wood and "ash" the robe up. I'm thinking that is the closest to what the video shows as a battle-worn look.

_Jaster":3eqsr3v9]I could be wrong but from what I understand is, that as it doesn't have a CRL as yet it will be up to the Flagship Eclipse DMO to decide if you costume is up to standard not your GML.

You still submit everything to your GML but he then forwards it on for approval etc. If this is incorrect could someone please clarify.

You're close, but it has little to do with the CRL. This costume has two concerns: it isn't yet in the legion, and it's EU.

All new to the legion costumes are submitted by your local GML in a "New to the Legion" approval thread in the GML forum. In that thread, the LMO along with the representative DL and any GML's who also know the costume will discuss the character and costume for inclusion in the 501st. They will first decide if the character is appropriate for the 501st as a Star Wars villian. (The Sith Acolyte should be an easy decision in that department!) Then, they will decide if the costume itself is ready to be approved. If it's good to go, it's approved by the LMO, and we have a new character in the legion. If the costume isn't ready yet, it will be deferred back to the costumer with a list of things that need to be upgraded or finished. New to the Legion costumes are frequently sent back for revisions. Since it's setting the standard, it needs to be top quality.

After a particular EU character has already been approved and is known among the GML officers, any future submissions for that type of costume go to another thread in the GML forum, titled "LMO/DL Approval- Expanded Universe Costumes." Because of the nature of EU costumes, in the past we had a lot of trouble with GML's approving EU costumes that weren't up to 501st standards yet. They simply didn't know enough about the costumes, and tended to approve them without question. There were jokes that the EU costumers were the "bathrobe Jedi" of the legion. To avoid this, all EU costumes are posted for LMO/DL approval in the GML forum. Often the LMO/DL simply checks the costume and says that it's good to go, but other times they find details that need a bit more work, and they let the local GML know what needs to be finished on the costumes. The GML reports back to the costumer to let them know what to finish. Once that work is done, the GML posts new pictures, and the costume is typically approved.

Pam :-)

Guest darren1970

Yep, I realised the process for new to the legion costumes ( I'm a detachment leader myself and have access to the GML forum over on the 501st ). I just like to keep my local GML in the loop with the build as well.

More progress on the robe, I may be reducing the hieght of the hood to make the 'swags' a bit less.

robe5.jpg

The current mask is too big, so I'm ordering a smaller version from the same maker. A smaller mask will definately improve the look of the hood etc.

Darren

Guest Anonymous

Anyone able to contact Darman for the neck seal? It's the last piece I'll need for the build (aside from fingers). If my mask came in today I may post pics. Robe is done, armor mostly done.

Guest darren1970

After several days of experimenting with fabric paints, the first arm of the robe has it'd red detail stripes.

robe6.jpg

I've deliberately painted some areas a little thin, to let some of the fabric weave show ( distressed a bit ).

Once this has dryed out totally overnight it'll be heat set and I'll give it a light coat of waterproof sealer, just in case.

Darren

Guest Anonymous
Yep, I realised the process for new to the legion costumes ( I'm a detachment leader myself and have access to the GML forum over on the 501st ). I just like to keep my local GML in the loop with the build as well.

More progress on the robe, I may be reducing the hieght of the hood to make the 'swags' a bit less.

The current mask is too big, so I'm ordering a smaller version from the same maker. A smaller mask will definately improve the look of the hood etc.

Darren

Got my mask in also, and could fit two of my heads in it. Trying to work a deal with the maker also. The small versions of the mask I think are for wearing, the medium versions might be for display? I'm 6'1 and my head just is not that big...Word to the wise, get the small. I haven't touched mine so I'm hoping for a trade-in.

Anyone able to contact Darman for the neck seal? It's the last piece I'll need for the build (aside from fingers). If my mask came in today I may post pics. Robe is done, armor mostly done.

Congrats on almost finishing the armor. I can't wait to see pics!