• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Sith Acolyte

Guest TK-7100

I ordered a fabric spray (Stencil Spray Opaque Fabric Paint) which was suggested by TK 7100. Here's what he recommended. I haven't tried it out myself yet.

http://www.joann.com/stencil-spray-opaque-fabric-paint-many-colors/xprd635639/?_requestid=1363578

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to get some ideas on the undersuit. I am a really thin guy which means I either have to trim to leg armor a lot, or pad it. I was thinking about getting a thicker type of pants instead of my normal underarmor, but the dive suits seem like they'd get super hot. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe some type of sweat pants? I was also thinking of black cargo pants but I dont think they would be as form fitting as required.

padding the armor is probably a better option then trying to bulk you out with a "fat suit"

^_^ Katie

LOL- that's a good point. I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Can you give any advice on how to pad the armor? (What to use, sources, etc.)

Guest Aysel

thin foam on the back (car headliner would be ideal) layer it up till it sits where you want it, to get it to stay, you could try spray adhesive. I'm sure others have some other methods of doing this.

^_^ Katie

Guest TK-7100
Started trimming my armor today. Very excited! Thanks Christopher for all the build pics. They are helping me a ton!

Very welcome! :wink: Sorry for MIA...been so busy. I just now FINALLY finished thumb armor I'm happy with. I just made the molds and will start casting them on Monday.

DSCN2125.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ ... e%20Build/

I'll have finger armor / thumb armor / and that canister thingy all as a kit ready very soon. :wink:

Guest TK-7100
oh dear God, not that stuff, it spray's horribly. What you should try is this http://www.dickblick.com/products/jacqu ... le-colors/ instead, once this stuff is heat set it's washable and dry-cleanable

I have to agree. I got the stuff...but it bled through and was a mess to use. It worked...BUT .. lol

Wife just got some other stuff ... worked great. She made another robe (almost seemless) so I'll ask once I get home.

Guest TK-7100
I wanted to get some ideas on the undersuit. I am a really thin guy which means I either have to trim to leg armor a lot, or pad it. I was thinking about getting a thicker type of pants instead of my normal underarmor, but the dive suits seem like they'd get super hot. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe some type of sweat pants? I was also thinking of black cargo pants but I dont think they would be as form fitting as required.

I wish I could help with that one. I have no clue where I got mine. It's been so long. I never used it being it was much heavier then my normal undersuits.

The pics of the Acolyte show skin tight undersuit, so I don't think sweat pants would work. Try local dive shops for lycra undersuits. They may just have something there. Here in FL, there's one on every corner..lol.

My local fabric store has black neoprene in at the moment, I'm going to get some to make some wrist splints from. It is very stretchy considering and would bulk you out nicely, however it really would be very warm to say the least! It wouldn't hurt though to go to a dive store and try on some suits. Just to get a feel for what you can personally tolerate, factoring in store air conditioning etc.

If you can get your hands on a thick stretch cotton (ponte di roma is a good one- make sure it is cotton!) you could do a double layer of shell fabric and that to give a little more bult. I'm doing something similar (though to simulate flexible body armour from Mass Effect) and it really is amazing how much extra dimension it gives. To the point I am concerned I'm going to look very round given I'm also using a white fabric. Oh yeah.

But it really depends on your climate if trying to add extra bulk is going to be worth health risks.

Thanks guys for the suit and coloring advice. I'm in Cali but not on a beach, although I am sure I can find a dive shop somewhere to try out suits.

TK-7100: cant wait to see your kit. Everything looks great so far, and I can't wait to see the mask! That really helps the costume stand out.

Guest Anonymous

I just sent my Wife's new version of the neck seal to Chris for him to give it a once over. Hear are some picks of it with my reaper mask and her Jedi robe, just to get an idea of how it will look. I am sure he will post up some pics when he gets it.

Tell me what you think.

P1090451.jpg

P1090449.jpg

P1090447.jpg

Guest TK-7100

Finger armor is now complete!! Finally got a positive that I really like!

Sith ..

SithWarrior12.jpg

My cast... (final)

DSCN2137.jpg

Now I also made these "slighty" larger being I have short stubby fingers. So these will fit anyone. :wink: PLUS...with resin, you can boil them and shape them to fit just right. Here are some temp application pics to give ya an idea..

DSCN2131.jpg

DSCN2135.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ ... e%20Build/

I'm going to get my 2 painted and finished and I'll have a completed hands to show off. YAY! :D

And I've been getting a ton of PM's abotu kits, to not delay I'm going to put together a set of = 8 finger armor 2 thumb armor and the belt cannister (the thingy.. :P ) I'll have this kit ready very shortly. Stay tuned!

Guest TK-7100
No problem, glad to see all the great progress you're making on this costume. As you know I love the character and it's great to see your hard work bringing it to life. 8)

Well, thank you....but ...you started it!! :D

Guest Anonymous

Wow the work you have put into the Sith Acolyte armor is just plain amazing. I would really like to get some of the armor from you. As for the lightsaber thanks for the link I think I can make one from PVC, possibly aluminum. Lately I've been going through a lightsaber crafting urge, and it looks perfect to test my skills with.

Guest TK-7100

Thx all!! I realy appreciate it! :wink:

And...I been working all weekend...and finally got finger armor kits going.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2181

I'll have more stuff coming soon, so I'll keep everyone posted. But for now, the mask is #1 priority! The final sculpt is going into effect now. I'll post pics very soon.

\m/ Sith \m/